Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Inspiron 15 laptop

• 28-10-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-3531-laptop/pd?oc=cn53105&model_id=inspiron-15-3531-laptop

I think there was a thread on this a while ago, but this is a new price drop so I thought it was worth a new thread.

For a budget laptop in this range, you can't really do better than this. Similar laptops go for 300 euro in the B&M shops.

EDIT: Literally just got updated back to €229 as soon as I posted this. Sorry mods, delete please.

Then back to 182 and then back to 229 just as i refresh, weird!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-3531-laptop/pd?oc=cn53105&model_id=inspiron-15-3531-laptop

I think there was a thread on this a while ago, but this is a new price drop so I thought it was worth a new thread.

For a budget laptop in this range, you can't really do better than this. Similar laptops go for 300 euro in the B&M shops.

EDIT: Literally just got updated as soon as I posted this. Sorry mods, delete please.

Showing at €229 for me, are you including a voucher in your price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Its €229 when I view it?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Hence the edit, sorry about that, must have just been a glitch or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

Still a bargain though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Was showing up as €189 for me then when I went in again €229 .Might be worth going in and out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,101 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

WHERES THE BLEEDIN BARGAIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just added it to my basket for 182 incl VAT & shipping...

EDIT: Once you get to the checkout the price jumps back up....awwwww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just added it to my basket for 182 incl VAT & shipping...

Yep me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I even went on to chat with them, they're not budging on the "incorrect price"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ditto. I think the 182 price may be an ex VAT price......

• Advertisement

Ditto. I think the 182 price may be an ex VAT price......

It's just a glitch, I saw the 182, and it included VAT and shipping. Then when it showed my cart with the original 229 price, the ex.VAT price was different.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Amazing the way every review is a good one on the website! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Amazing the way every review is a good one on the website! :rolleyes:

In fairness, for the price it's a great laptop!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

very tempted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

iPink wrote: »
    very tempted...

Does this laptop have a DVD drive

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badboybubby

Bought one of these a few weeks back for 229.Only using it for web browsing,youtube,netflix etc and it handles them fine.Battery life seems good too.No usb 3,dvd drive or ethernet port but cant complain at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's regularly for sale for €209 incl VAT and shipping, for anybody not in a hurry who wants to save some more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

unkel wrote:
    It's regularly for sale for €209 incl VAT and shipping, for anybody not in a hurry who wants to save some more 

on the Dell website?

Yep. The price has been going up and down between €209 and €249 the last few weeks / months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Managed to snap up 2 for 197 a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Lads the brother-in-law is looking to buy this for general surfing, facebook and youtube; what has been your experience with it? Cheers

jaqian wrote: »
    Lads the brother-in-law is looking to buy this for general surfing, facebook and youtube; what has been your experience with it? Cheers

Grand laptop, perfectly fine for that usage. It wont have the longest battery life, but should be serviceable. So long as they're not expecting a Macbook Pro for 200 quid, they should be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

Currently €206.11 with a 10% VIP voucher code available at www.publicsector.groupscheme.com in the compuer & Electronics section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

evostik wrote: »
    Currently €206.11 with a 10% VIP voucher code available at www.publicsector.groupscheme.com in the compuer & Electronics section

Your link is showing a 404 error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Invincible wrote: »
    Your link is showing a 404 error.

Worked for me, Cheers evostik!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

I was skeptical because of Celeron but I still took chance & bought this one
    This is a brilliant laptop, battery life approx 6hours, not at all slow, 18 seconds start up & 4 seconds shut down with normal 5400rpm HDD it came with, before receiving the laptop i also ordered SSD from Amazon as one of the reviews on Amazon suggested to replace HDD with SSD to make it speedy, Don't know if i need that one
    No fan or heat up issue, very quite & light
    Installed classic shell which get rid of metro interface
    Got rid of trial McAfee & installed AVG (one of the BA threads for 4 year free AVG IS, works fine)
    I am very delighted with this

Thanks lads, I've ordered that; really interesting to see the evolution of the laptop with no more ethernet or dvd drive, reminds me of some early Macs that got rid of the floppy drive etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ALS

price gone up to 249 :(

• Advertisement

ALS wrote: »
    price gone up to 249 :(

Go to http://www.publicsector.groupscheme.com/
    Click on south of Ireland on map then click on Computers & Electronics
    Click on Dell then click "get this discount"

Enter your email, they will send you 10% discount code by email

That will reduce it to €225, Still worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

To the guys who have bought this laptop...how long did delivery take,as they are quoting me 6 weeks..thanks.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    To the guys who have bought this laptop...how long did delivery take,as they are quoting me 6 weeks..thanks.

Ordered Mine Yesterday and told me 6th. Nov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Well i went ahead and ordered one today and delivery date is the 6th of december
    just thought it was a bit long to wait to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Ordered on Wednesday afternoon, arrived today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭WHL

Farnsworth wrote: »
    Installed classic shell which get rid of metro interface
    Got rid of trial McAfee & installed AVG (one of the BA threads for 4 year free AVG IS, works fine)
    I am very delighted with this

By the classic shell, do you mean that you have a Windows 7 type look? If so, how did you do this. Was it a setting or did you have to download something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

WHL wrote: »
    By the classic shell, do you mean that you have a Windows 7 type look? If so, how did you do this. Was it a setting or did you have to download something

You can download it from http://www.classicshell.net/ I'm using it on this laptop and it works fine.

Great App.

WHL wrote: »

Google windows 8.1 classic shell. Its free n yes it will make windows 7 type look

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    ordered mine on sunday n received on wed
    they say 4th nov expected delivery but arrived on 29th oct. Dat is system generated delivery date after your oder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Will no doubt meet some of you at some stage when something fails on them in record time ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Etnies wrote: »
    Will no doubt meet some of you at some stage when something fails on them in record time ^^

Huh?

You're one of those "you get what you pay for" merchants?

I've got news for you. That old adage is a load of crap. If you're smart and do your research, there is great value for money out there. I don't want to go off topic here, but did you know Aldi dishwashing liquid came out best in a recent consumer test? Better than Fairy. And obviously at only a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

unkel wrote: »
    You're one of those "you get what you pay for" merchants?

I've got news for you. That old adage is a load of crap. If you're smart and do your research, there is great value for money out there. I don't want to go off topic here, but did you know Aldi dishwashing liquid came out best in a recent consumer test? Better than Fairy. And obviously at only a fraction of the price.

Nope not at all, and Yes I did know that because you posted it last week on another topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Nope not at all, and Yes I did know that because you posted it last week on another topic.

Anti-Dell..........perhaps?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kala85 wrote: »
    Does this laptop have a DVD drive
    It's cheap and cheerful you aren't paying for anything that isn't essential

No DVD
    No Ethernet - Only network connection is WiFi
    No VGA - but has HDMI
    Only two USB ports - you could use SD cards instead. get an SD to USB adaptor in the pound shops to use the SD on other devices

while you are in the pound shop you could pick up a bluetooth usb too :)

[edit - this bit is about how DVD drives aren't used anymore in laptops - not that you could put one in this ]
    re DVD drives , at this stage one of the best uses might be to stick a second HDD or SSD in a caddy like this http://www.buyincoins.com/item/45903.html if you don't mind it eating into your battery life a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It's cheap and cheerful you aren't paying for anything that isn't essential

No DVD
    No Ethernet - Only network connection is WiFi
    No VGA - but has HDMI
    Only two USB ports - you could use SD cards instead. get an SD to USB adaptor in the pound shops to use the SD on other devices

while you are in the pound shop you could pick up a bluetooth usb too :)

re DVD drives , at this stage one of the best uses might be to stick a second HDD or SSD in a caddy like this http://www.buyincoins.com/item/45903.html if you don't mind it eating into your battery life a bit

That optical bay caddy won't work because even though there is a space for a drive this unit there's no sata connection within that bay.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

The keyboard looks like one from a much higher end laptop. Can anyone commented on what it's like? Is it actually an island style?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Showing at €249 now (without using the 10% discount code).
    How does it compare to this laptop, reduced to €257?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/toshiba-satellite-c50b14d-156-laptop-black/318123/104.12

That one has extra

Ethernet
    Sd reader
    Vga port
    1x Usb 3.0

So its a worthwhile bit better.

Probably a worse keyboard. Dunno about the screen quality

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

beauf wrote: »
    That one has extra

Ethernet
    Sd reader
    Vga port
    1x Usb 3.0

So its a worthwhile bit better.

Probably a worse keyboard. Dunno about the screen quality

Googled the toshiba and the reviews are not great on Amazon. Might just go with the Dell as a Santa present. Once it can play Minecraft don't think the daughter will be too bothered with lack of usb3, ethernet etc. lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement