Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Inspiron 15 laptop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

ccull123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can someone tell me would this laptop be ok for just browing the web, creating word documents, powerpoint and downloading movies etc off of the web??

Im thinking of getting it as a christmas present but these mixed reviews are putting me off.

It will be fine for this, it doesn't come with Office licences though, so you'll need to budget for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It will be fine for this, it doesn't come with Office licences though, so you'll need to budget for that.
    No laptops come with office licenses unless you pay extra for them.

Just use Libreoffice to create word/excel/powerpoint docs. Libre as in free ;)

if you have good BB then you can use office online https://www.office.com/start/default.aspx
    no idea how it compares to google docs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Bumping as has dropped in price to 199 with a 7% code VPTCQ6M645SX4? giving a total of €185.07

Excellent value for basic operations. A friend uses her laptop 95% for word and for internet but does some light work on photoshop and illustrator (no videos or very large pictures), I know the processor meets the minimum requirements as dose the ram but anyone any experience using these programs on a Celeron Dual Core N2830 Processor ?
    Also anyone know about upgrading to 8gb ram if she needed to for photoshop (worth bothering with the processor?), is it 2 slots with one 4gb stick in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Also anyone know about upgrading to 8gb ram if she needed to for photoshop (worth bothering with the processor?), is it 2 slots with one 4gb stick in it?

1 slot, easy access hatch underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bumping as has dropped in price to 199 with a 7% code VPTCQ6M645SX4? giving a total of €185.07

Excellent value for basic operations. A friend uses her laptop 95% for word and for internet but does some light work on photoshop and illustrator (no videos or very large pictures), I know the processor meets the minimum requirements as dose the ram but anyone any experience using these programs on a Celeron Dual Core N2830 Processor ?

It really depends on what she is doing in photoshop to be honest. If it is simply changing the contrast, changing to black and white etc and generally basic operations then it would be fine. But if she is using it for much more I would be concerned that it could be too slow.

As for the RAM. An 8GB stick is cheap, so no big expense or hassle to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

anyone else not getting the 7% coupon to apply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dymo

eoinf wrote: »
    anyone else not getting the 7% coupon to apply?

It works

but don't forget the ? I did and it didn't work

Full coupon
    VPTCQ6M645SX4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Dymo wrote: »
    It works

but don't forget the ? I did and it didn't work

Full coupon
    VPTCQ6M645SX4?

Does this have a DVD drive. Is this Celeron chip decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Anyone know a laptop close to this price that has a dvd drive ?this is €125 extra to include dvd drive

It doesnt have a dvd drive, similar spec with a cd drive costs 290
    http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g50/

How often do you need a dvd drive these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

shardylan wrote: »
    Anyone know a laptop close to this price that has a dvd drive ?this is €125 extra to include dvd drive

£20 on amazon for a usb powered external drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

What do you need the drive for? Get a usb one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Damn you Boards, you got me again.... And my sister is getting a New Laptop, and I'm getting months of questions on Windows 8..

Thanks OP and Updaters :)

Etnies wrote: »
    What do you need the drive for? Get a usb one
    Had no idea you could buy one of these for that purpose .Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Etnies wrote: »
    What do you need the drive for? Get a usb one
    Had no idea you could buy one of these for that purpose .Thanks

you can even buy a case for cheaper to make one yourself if you have an old laptop that has a working dvd drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

sweetie wrote: »

you can even buy a case for cheaper to make one yourself if you have an old laptop that has a working dvd drive.

Would you have a link to one? have a few floating about the place and was always meant to do something with them.

I would have an old laptop thats on its way out that I could use the dvd but wouldn't even know where to start .Might be as well just plugging in and save the hassle .Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Scrunch

Use code MVNQ?ZC2HX8ZLC for 10% off. Unfortunately, You will NOT then be able to use the other 7% code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Scrunch wrote: »
    Use code MVNQ?ZC2HX8ZLC for 10% off. Unfortunately, You will NOT then be able to use the other 7% code

Tried this but it doesn't seem to be working, VPTCQ6M645SX4? for 7% is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Scrunch wrote: »

We're sorry, the coupon code you have entered has previously been redeemed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭homingbird

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭plonker

Join the Dell VIP club for the 10% off code,works out at €179.10 delivered,cant resist at that price!!!!!!!!!

plonker wrote: »
    Join the Dell VIP club for the 10% off code,works out at €179.10 delivered,cant resist at that price!!!!!!!!!

Any chance you want to share it or is it a unique code for each person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

homingbird wrote: »

As usual for Argos no stock available

Any chance you want to share it or is it a unique code for each person

its a unique code you get

http://www.dell.ie/vip

• Advertisement

Thanks got it fairly easily.Delighted I waited and got this at great price.Thanks op

Been looking for a cheap laptop for casual use for a while now. €179.10 is too good to turn down. Thanks all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The only laptop i would ever buy is a Dell.
    Head over heels above the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Cheers for this, just ordered one. Bargain alright at e179, can't complain at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I'm confused about signing up under vip,

Do you sign up under a pretend company or student?

• Advertisement

I just typed in my surname and email and they sent me a code it's easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Comes with 20GB Dropbox space for a year too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Think I'll get this. Will need one for college next year. All I'll use it for is Microsoft Word, browsing, watching movies. Good idea or is this laptop missing anything crucial? It's a great price!

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Think I'll get this. Will need one for college next year. All I'll use it for is Microsoft Word, browsing, watching movies. Good idea or is this laptop missing anything crucial? It's a great price!

its missing a dvd/cd player other then that seems excellent value for basic use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

its missing a dvd/cd player other then that seems excellent value for basic use.

No ethernet port or usb 3 either. Not really an issue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Lack of ethernet port isn't a big issue until the one time you need one and then it's a pain in the a$$

A lot of routers, for example, can only be configured when they are hooked up directly by an ethernet port. (it should be all of them for security reasons)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Ethernet is it is if its the only laptop you have on your network and you want to setup a wireless network, great deal as an extra one though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You always get a USB to Ethernet adapter. But I would agree the lack of USB3 and Ethernet, would be the things I would miss.

Lack of ethernet port is annoying alright....and even if you have a USB one, inevitably you'll leave it behind the one time you need ethernet access.

That being said, I've had my ultrabook over 2 years now and it doesn't have an ethernet and I don't really miss it that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 straaachan

Will the 10% Dell VIP discount work with the 7% Inspiron discount code given at the top of the product page?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dymo

A bit annoying it doesn't have an ethernet port but Mac Air's don't either so I'll compare it to that.

Dymo wrote: »
    A bit annoying it doesn't have an ethernet port but Mac Air's don't either so I'll compare it to that.

The Pro doesn't either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I can't seem to get the vip discount to work with this offer. It tells me:
    Coupons Entered
    The following coupons have been entered but require additional information or do not meet eligibility requirements

I can't seem to get the vip discount to work with this offer. It tells me:
    Coupons Entered
    The following coupons have been entered but require additional information or do not meet eligibility requirements

order on the VIP site not on the Dell site,it should accept the code then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

Ordered this last night with 10% off as VIP...being delivered next Thursday...registering for VIP bit grand...and can opt out at any time...thanks lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

plonker wrote: »
    order on the VIP site not on the Dell site,it should accept the code then

I've being trying it for a couple of hours now and still no luck. It might be because I'm using a tablet and I keep getting redirected to the Dell. Ie checkout page. I'm basically doing a google search for Dell vip, going to the site and adding the inspiron to the basket. When I paste in the coupon it just cones up with the same error. I will probably have to wait until I'm at a computer on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I've being trying it for a couple of hours now and still no luck. It might be because I'm using a tablet and I keep getting redirected to the Dell. Ie checkout page. I'm basically doing a google search for Dell vip, going to the site and adding the inspiron to the basket. When I paste in the coupon it just cones up with the same error. I will probably have to wait until I'm at a computer on Sunday.
    Never worked on a computer for me either. My experience is that only some of the VIP codes work but most of them require additional information which there does not appear to be any way of inputting. 5 months later and Dell still haven't replied to my email about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nugnug21

Hey I'm just wondering has anyone been asked for the name of the bank that issued your card when you are checking out this Dell laptop? Bit worried as its a bit of an unusual question for online payment.

Nugnug21 wrote: »
    Hey I'm just wondering has anyone been asked for the name of the bank that issued your card when you are checking out this Dell laptop? Bit worried as its a bit of an unusual question for online payment.

Yeah I got the same question, entered it without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Nugnug21 wrote: »

Not unusual.
    I order from Dell all the time and they remember my card details.
    The name of the issuing bank is always there. I had to enter it initially though as I do on every site during payment.

Advertisement