Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Inspiron 15 laptop

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I bought one of these Dell laptops for €179 and I never used it.

I want to sell it if anyone interested it's going on adverts soon for €160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I bought one of these Dell laptops for €179 and I never used it.

I want to sell it if anyone interested it's going on adverts soon for €160

I would buy it off you allright. I just bricked a customers laptop by updating the bios and I'm under pressure for a replacement. YOu would be digging me out of a serious hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Ok if you look at my adverts profile you will see I'm 100% genuine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

you should see mine! Let's talk !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i find this very odd, people tend to have very short memories!!!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0108/112419-dell/

yes i understand....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0423/696136-dell-jobs/

but still though....

very odd country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Wanderer78 wrote: »

yes i understand....

but still though....

very odd country!

What do you expect?
    That people are not going to buy good cheap laptops, just because manufacturer company is not supporting Irish economy as it used to?

Total nonsense.

CiniO wrote: »
    What do you expect?
    That people are not going to buy good cheap laptops, just because manufacturer company is not supporting Irish economy as it used to?

Total nonsense.

yup totally agree! rinse repeat ireland! we should be ashamed of ourselves. i made sure not to purchase after their decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Word of warning to anyone considering buying the Inspiron 15 3551 - RAM cannot be upgraded past 4gb, making it an even more disappointing machine than I thought it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

eamon234 wrote: »
    Word of warning to anyone considering buying the Inspiron 15 3551 - RAM cannot be upgraded past 4gb, making it an even more disappointing machine than I thought it was.

Adding more than 4gb would be a waste of money really. The processor is so weak it simply won't make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

CiniO wrote: »
    What do you expect?

Total nonsense.

I dunno 1900 people is a lot of jobs and wasn't there something iffy about the terms of them going to Poland? People seem to forget about Aviva also.

I do agree a bargain is a bargain but sometimes even if it was going for 1€ you shouldnt buy based on there questionable actions.

But I have heard that processes is useless anyone got a link to a decent cheap laptop for some to use for college?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

yes i understand....

but still though....

very odd country!

That's a very narrow minded attitude.

So are we to ignore the ~2500 currently employed with Dell in Ireland?
    Are their jobs not important?

The Limerick closure was hard on those affected and probably still is, but multinational companies make commercial decisions like that all the time.

The same reason they set up in Ireland in the first place is the same reason the relocated to Poland.
    Also, laptop manufacture was gone from Limerick to China and other places long before the plant closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

eamon234 wrote: »

Why not is it soldered to the MB.

beauf wrote: »
    Why not is it soldered to the MB.

No. The motherboard only supports 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No need for beyond 4GB in a laptop of this spec anyway. Anything that requires more than 4GB is going to get bogged down on the processor.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    That's a very narrow minded attitude.

So are we to ignore the ~2500 currently employed with Dell in Ireland?
    Are their jobs not important?

The Limerick closure was hard on those affected and probably still is, but multinational companies make commercial decisions like that all the time.

The same reason they set up in Ireland in the first place is the same reason the relocated to Poland.
    Also, laptop manufacture was gone from Limerick to China and other places long before the plant closure.

lads if we keep letting large companies to do this here they ll strangely enough keep doing it. ive met some people affected by this closer. lifes not good. home repossessions pending! wakey wakey ireland. people and their lives are more important that getting cheap products and making profits for these companies. very sad to see a large amount of irish people dont seem to think so. very sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

lads if we keep letting large companies to do this here they ll strangely enough keep doing it. ive met some people affected by this closer. lifes not good. home repossessions pending! wakey wakey ireland. people and their lives are more important that getting cheap products and making profits for these companies. very sad to see a large amount of irish people dont seem to think so. very sad

Rubbish. This happens all over the world. Companies outsource. New companies set up. Companies open and close. It's hardly unique to Ireland.

So you're saying people shouldn't be buying from Dell because they relocated some jobs (but still support thousands here...).

What would you propose people buy exactly?

So what's the plan then?
    Close the door to any multinational that want's to set up here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Folks, please keep the politics off this forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone upgrade this laptop to Windows 10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭huberto

Yes - a few months ago, have had no problems

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dubmick wrote: »
    anyone upgrade this laptop to Windows 10?

Upgraded 4 last week.
    Encountered activation issues- but was able to resolve over the phone.
    It was time consuming- which I hadn't considered- but all-in-all, the guys are happy with them.
    Offhand- I'd say they're at very least 10-15% faster than W7/W8.1- the biggest improvement I've heard comments on was the boot speed- which is halved.

Go ahead- do the upgrade- nothing to fear- make sure you remove the ticks from the various privacy and sharing fields though- DO NOT ACCEPT DEFAULT INSTALL SETTINGS!!!!!!

Advertisement