Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to report open farm animal welfare?

• 28-10-2014 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what authority inspects open farms? I'm talking about the type of farm that is a childrens attraction and has random numbers of animals on them, ranging from the exotic to puppies?

I was at one recently and I was positively sickened by the condition of the unfortunate animals. Who do I report this to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Dept of agriculture maybe as id assume the animals are registered with them.

What was wrong with the conditions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

ISPCA - they have a welfare inspector in Cork. She can involve the DVO in Cork if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

aaakev wrote: »
    Dept of agriculture maybe as id assume the animals are registered with them.

What was wrong with the conditions?

Tiny dirty cages, animals looked sick and hungry. Odd collection of exotic animals being kept outside in obviously unsuitable habitats. Birds in concrete boxes with no vegetation.

It was more like a bad zoo than anything else. Are there zoo regulations here that people need to meet?

Edit to add, Looks like I'm not the only one who thought the conditions were poor in this place... Read the poor reviews here:

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186600-d3372731-Reviews-Rumley_s_Open_Farm-Cork_County_Cork.html#REVIEWS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I would contact both the ISPCA and the Dept of Agriculture, if they have any farm animals they would need herd numbers etc and be open to inspection from the DOA at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks guys... reported to both. I doubt I'll hear anything back, but sure at least I did something

• Advertisement
Advertisement