Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Red Oil Light coming on Golf

Options
  • 28-10-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

just wondering has anyone experinced a red oil light coming on a 2010 Golf, Just had it serviced 3 weeks ago, a few days later a warning light came on the dash check oil/coolant both levels were fine. however when i drive the car the temperate shoots up to 90 within 5 minutes and then goes over and start hitting near red it has hit th red twice. I have contacted the garage and they say its fine but i know its not. It goes close to red then shoots down again and my heaters etc are working ok.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bring it back may possibly be a faulty sensor or electrical fault.

If you can record the fault on phone as proof then bring back to garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 angrylady

Thanks i am hoping it is nothing to serious but the red light coming on frecks me out spending most of my journey now look at the dash in fear of it hitting the red light. I rang today again and they said bring it on and they would put it on computer again but they dont seem to see it as a problem.

It may be nothing but you are best to check as it's an wxpensive fix if it goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest, any garage who would say that it is fine over the phone should be shot.
    If your temperature gauge is going up beyond normal, I wouldnt be driving it at all. Who knows what the issue is but there is certainly something wrong that needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Red lights on the dash are always a big problem. I'd park the car until someone competent sorts it out. You probably need to find a different garage, ideally one with diagnostics so they can properly diagnose the fault and repair it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Red light possibly refers to oil pressure , not oil level in any case and could be indicating a serious fault. You should always stop if you get a red light, and summon assistance. Having said that, Oil light is often yellow and Alternator light red...I know nothing at all about Glofs though....(can't even spell it)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Although it could be connected to the service it could very well be just a coincidence. I'd take it another garage and let them have a look and give you a diagnosis.
    If the diagnosis points to the first garage making a mistake talk to them about it, if not let the second garage fix issue (after giving you a quote).

Could be sensor or pressure switch.
    Where are you located? We'll recommend someone in the local area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

angrylady wrote: »
    however when i drive the car the temperate shoots up to 90 within 5 minutes and then goes over and start hitting near red it has hit th red twice.

That would bother me as chances are if the sensor was faulty the coolant temperature would be reading all or the place and fluctuating. From your description it's starting under the 50 mark when car is cold moving up to the 90 degree mark after around 5 minutes my golf does the same. Then it's exceeding the 90 degree. To me that sounds like the car is actually overheating rather than just a faulty sensor obviously impossible to know with out seeing the car and hooking it up to diagnostics. Tbh you should have stopped driving when it got to 95 degree just over the half way mark never mind into the red which is well over 100 degrees water boils at 100 degree roughly depending on pressure.

As for the red oil light well that's low oil pressure and nothing to do with the level although a really low oil level could cause low oil pressure. I personally wouldn't drive the car at all until it's looked at by a proper garage. Hopefully it will be minor like faulty sensors but the lights are there to warn you by ignoring them and driving the car your always taking a risk.

thanks folks for your advice going back to garage again tomorrow it is a VW garage and the car has always been serviced there so hopefully that should help.

angrylady wrote: »
    thanks folks for your advice going back to garage again tomorrow it is a VW garage and the car has always been serviced there so hopefully that should help.

At least you are covered. They can't turn around and say someone else did it.

• Advertisement

Bpmull im located in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be very reluctant to drive the car if there is a red warning light on. If the car is under warranty I'd be ringing the garage to send someone out to collect it. It might only be a sensor but who knows for sure and driving it could potentially cause more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

take it to a garage who actually has a clue perhaps?

Went to garage today again and they sent the so called mechanic that worked on car the last time out me and he didn’t even look at car just said it may be electric or a sensor book it in next week and we will have a look, so annoyed and its a registered VW garage obviously just train Monkeys as mechanics. After a big i was told to return it tomorrow as they have a cancellation,

Advertisement