Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine

Options
  • 28-10-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

I'm looking for some information regarding applying for Medicine as a Mature Student.

I'm 25 with only my leaving certificate. NUIG would be my preference and even though I haven't contacted them directly yet, I can see from their website that they will have 2 mature places available for 2015 and the application process seems to be to apply through the CAO and sit the H-PAT.

Does anyone know if gaining a place in this way is solely based on the H-PAT result or is their an application regarding your life experience or any hospital experience etc.

I have no degree so I can't apply through the graduate route.

I have the 3 science subjects in my leaving certificate.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Entry to medicine as a mature student is competitive and will take into account life experiences. When you click the mature student button on the CAO website a whole heap of other sections open up.
    As I understand it in the past they used to use the HPAT as a screening tool and then look at applications above a certain level. There may not be the same level assigned to the HPAT given it appears to be very 'preparable' for.
    There are a lot of threads on applying to mature medicine in this forum and also in Health Sciences. It would be worth reading through them to see what people did in various years and may help you with your application.
    You will need voluntary experience, and ideally some medical experience, or at least some exposure to medicine so they know you are well informed/committed etc.

Advertisement