Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Where would you start?

• 28-10-2014 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I'd like to ask a question, say someone was 18. Can they start riding a 125cc bike or would they have to start with something lower than be able to get 125cc, I'm asking this cause a friend told me, an 18 year old would have to start at something low (like a 50cc) before going up to 125cc. Can someone help me out on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

For someone 18, they can apply for an A2 license, which is "Motorcycles less than 35kW, with a power/weight ratio not greater than 0.2kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle more than double its power".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

allwonder wrote: »
    Hi I'd like to ask a question, say someone was 18. Can they start riding a 125cc bike or would they have to start with something lower than be able to get 125cc, I'm asking this cause a friend told me, an 18 year old would have to start at something low (like a 50cc) before going up to 125cc. Can someone help me out on this?

I would start with a 400, 500 or 600cc bike restricted to suit the 'A2' category.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pnitro4

Hey guys, If you start at 16 on a 50cc scooter and gain experience and build up with bikes, will motorcycle insurance be easier on you in the future? lets say when you're about 26 and own a 250cc bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It should but insurance is a strange thing.

If you have a full licence and then add up more no claims it in theory should get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pnitro4 wrote: »
    Hey guys, If you start at 16 on a 50cc scooter and gain experience and build up with bikes, will motorcycle insurance be easier on you in the future? lets say when you're about 26 and own a 250cc bike

If you start at on a moped at 16 you'll be long past 250cc by 26, unless you fall for small bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

You should get a nice little Jet superbike.
    They are easy to maneuver and are not too loud on the ears.

Barring that a Honda cg 125 is a great little motor.

Advertisement