Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter R beside mobile coverage signal

Options
  • 28-10-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

Iv looked for a solution to my problem on google and i understand what the R stands for but i cant get rid of it.

Im currently with 3 on the flexi bill pay plan. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where is this letter R?

It it is on your handset, you need to look at the manual for the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vr7

Yeah on the handset. It above the coverage bar and to the right of the wifi signal.

1st thing i did was check the book....says nothing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

It would seem that you are roaming on another operator's network, e.g. I use Tesco mobile and they roam on the O2 network. As a result I normally have the R showing on my phone. I think 3 roam (or at least they used to) on other networks in certain parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

It stands for roaming. In the case of three it means you're roaming on Vodafone, their GSM partner when their network isn't available. Go into settings and make sure network type is set wcdma/gsm auto. You won't be able to access the internet properly until you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Your roaming because your in a bad signal area. If you could into networks and scan for networks you should get two 3's. One is 3 and one is Vodafone labeled as three. Usually the first one is 3's 3g. Select that one and see if you can connect and get signal. If not you must just be in a bad signal area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It would seem that you are roaming on another operator's network, e.g. I use Tesco mobile and they roam on the O2 network. As a result I normally have the R showing on my phone. I think 3 roam (or at least they used to) on other networks in certain parts of the country.

This is it. I'm with 3 and I'm currently roaming on another network so I have the little r beside the signal indicator.

Im living in Cavan but have great 3 coverage. I only noticed it today. Its only at home i have poor mobile internet signal. Its E and G at best. I havnt crossed the border either. Do i need to contact 3?

Im connected to the settings you mentioned and set for national roaming. Should i just drive to an area to get better coverage and search for 3 on the network settings? I currently have 3 and a second one named 3. The 2nd 3 has a fullstop after it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

vr7 wrote: »
    Im connected to the settings you mentioned and set for national roaming. Should i just drive to an area to get better coverage and search for 3 on the network settings? I currently have 3 and a second one named 3. The 2nd 3 has a fullstop after it

Your phone should switch to the highest signal automatically. Try connecting to both to see which drops the r. No point in driving anywhere as even if you get back onto the official 3 network you'll most likely lose it travelling home.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your phone should switch to the highest signal automatically. Try connecting to both to see which drops the r. No point in driving anywhere as even if you get back onto the official 3 network you'll most likely lose it travelling home.

Ok iv manually selected 3 3g network not the 3. 3g. Seems to have done the trick. I shall keep you informed.

• Advertisement

vr7 wrote: »
    Ok iv manually selected 3 3g network not the 3. 3g. Seems to have done the trick. I shall keep you informed.

ok so im still having trouble with the roaming on my phone. Now i cannot receive calls. Just going straight to voicemail.

Iv always had poor mobile phone internet coverage from home but the letter r has only appeared recently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have you an option to choose wcdma only when you go to settings/ mobile networks? That used to solve it for me.

Have you an option to choose wcdma only when you go to settings/ mobile networks? That used to solve it for me.

Yeah iv done that. Tbh i was just worried about getting screwed wuth charges.

Called in local 3 store this morning. 3rd person today who had similar issue. Ended up having to ring 3. Turns out its caused by maintenance and upgrades in the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

3 and O2 are merging. This is the first phase of the merge. When a 3 customer sees the R symbol, they are connected to the O2 network which is renamed as "3."
    This should only last a few months until the networks are merged.

No extra charges will occur even though the R symbol appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

boardzz wrote: »
    3 and O2 are merging. This is the first phase of the merge. When a 3 customer sees the R symbol, they are connected to the O2 network which is renamed as "3."
    This should only last a few months until the networks are merged.

No extra charges will occur even though the R symbol appears.

Just got this today. I seen it before, but forgot the reason behind it. I knew it stood for roaming, but didn't think it could be upgrades, hopefully it's a sign of 4G being enabled! :)

Advertisement