Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously comtempleting going home

Options
  • 28-10-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

I was made redundant from work 2 weeks ago :( I came out here 4 and a half years ago as a graduate (suitcase on my own) and I have been working ever since. Not exactly in my envisaged career but 457 visas complicated things....:rolleyes: Now I have PR so it doesn't matter :)

Things are picking up now in Eire and the UK. I have applied for a few jobs and have been put forward for interview. I have also applied for jobs in Oz including a seemingly dream job and I have gotten a good response so far.

But alas, my heart tells me that I want to go home!! Since I left work I have no-one to call a close friend. The parents are retiring next month and the mother has been very sick of late. My friends in Ireland seem to be living the high life going here there and everywhere whilst I have been working away here and have zero craic. 4 years basically on your own working is a long time especially in the prime of your life. It makes me panic like a mid life crisis!!

So basically I have decided, feck it I wanna go home. Life is too short to be unhappy and to feel empty inside. I have no doubt that I will be back to Oz and the PR will facilitate that. I will give 1-2 years and see how i feel.

So kind people of boards, am I mad???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Stay out there until you can find a suitable job in Ireland. They say the economy is picking up but I don't see it. Unless your from Dublin of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

There is a tonne of jobs in Dublin, especially in finance

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Well the decision is between a dream job with no craic for another couple of years 'v' (presumably) a fairly decent job & close to friends & family ?

If you decide to come home, if you haven't seen any of the country, take at least a month off to see Australia. It's amazing how fast 10 or 15 years can pass by :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You've got your PR so no drama.

If where you are now isn't holding you and Ireland doesn't work out then try a different part of Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Stay until you have your citizenship, its got to be pretty close for you now. Hundred times better than PR and then you could come back in 10 years if they economy coin flips again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Get your Aussie passport first!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How long have you have PR?
    With 4+ years under your belt, it'd be crazy to go home now if you've anything close to 12 months on PR.

Are you aware of the difference citizenship makes over PR.

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you aware of the difference citizenship makes over PR.

Previously I had thought there was little difference. Read up on resident return visas and getting them etc and I realised the difference. PR is really only good if you plan on being a resident (logical when you think about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Get your passport. You've stuck around this long............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b3XTj5G_SA

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

What the others have said ,get you Citizenship first .After a year back in Ireland you may be wishing to get out into the wider World again .Especially when your parents die ,you may find Ireland no longer holds any draws .Thats what happened in my case .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Where are you dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, busy day!!

I have 42 weeks to go until I am eligible to apply for citizenship (got PR 15th August). It seems that the consensus here is that I try and stick it out until then...

I have been looking at jobs here but mostly in Perth. Perhaps a change of scenery is what I need. It will make the time go faster. I love Melbourne for instance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Timistry wrote: »
    I have been looking at jobs here but mostly in Perth. Perhaps a change of scenery is what I need. It will make the time go faster. I love Melbourne for instance
    Sounds like a good plan. I know a few lads in the same boat as yourself who had to move east for work and ended up liking it a lot more than Perth. You might even change your mind about heading back soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

There is a tonne of jobs in Dublin, especially in finance

Yup. My phone is hopping.

Unfortunately im not qualified in any financial or IT related jobs. If I was I could pick up a job in Dublin no problem. Funnily enough I have many friends in these sectors and they walked into jobs after returning from oz. FYI, im an environmental scientist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Unfortunately im not qualified in any financial or IT related jobs. If I was I could pick up a job in Dublin no problem. Funnily enough I have many friends in these sectors and they walked into jobs after returning from oz. FYI, im an environmental scientist.

What jobs would you hope to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I was made redundant from work 2 weeks ago :( I came out here 4 and a half years ago as a graduate (suitcase on my own) and I have been working ever since. Not exactly in my envisaged career but 457 visas complicated things....:rolleyes: Now I have PR so it doesn't matter :)

Things are picking up now in Eire and the UK. I have applied for a few jobs and have been put forward for interview. I have also applied for jobs in Oz including a seemingly dream job and I have gotten a good response so far.

But alas, my heart tells me that I want to go home!! Since I left work I have no-one to call a close friend. The parents are retiring next month and the mother has been very sick of late. My friends in Ireland seem to be living the high life going here there and everywhere whilst I have been working away here and have zero craic. 4 years basically on your own working is a long time especially in the prime of your life. It makes me panic like a mid life crisis!!

So basically I have decided, feck it I wanna go home. Life is too short to be unhappy and to feel empty inside. I have no doubt that I will be back to Oz and the PR will facilitate that. I will give 1-2 years and see how i feel.

So kind people of boards, am I mad???

Come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Nothing wrong with going home, I am myself, enjoyed my time in Oz but I enjoy Ireland much more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

Go back to Ireland, someone else will be glad of your job in Perth.

SameDiff wrote: »
    Go back to Ireland, someone else will be glad of your job in Perth.

If you read his post you would have noticed that he doesn't have a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

You have done your time. Come home. You sound like you miss family and friends in Ireland. Life is toooo short. Come home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I know the feeling. I came home four years ago and can identify. It's taken me a good few years to catch up on my career here but I wouldn't and didn't let that deter me. I miss oz at times but I am happier and more fulfilled at home. I would seriously consider the ten months in another city or better yet if you afford to travel around then do so. I Said I'd be back soon and really I've no prospect of getting back that soon. Life gets in the way. Having citizenship would be fantastic. best of luck with the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I considered it myself but I'm almost a year to the date away from applying for citizenship. Will definitely stick it out and get the passport then consider after that.

Just know I'll regret it in 10 years if I would want to return here knowing I'd need to pay all that money and go through that process again to get PR.

What difference will one more year here make to you though?

Come over to the east side. Brisbane is a good spot to live and see if you can make the most of the year.

Ireland will still be there next Christmas.

Sundy wrote: »
    If you read his post you would have noticed that he doesn't have a job.

What's he moaning about then?

maryk123 wrote: »
    You have done your time. Come home. You sound like you miss family and friends in Ireland. Life is toooo short. Come home

Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

SameDiff wrote: »
    What's he moaning about then?

Mate your on thin ice try and be constructive or at least civil.

Thanks for the advice guys. An update:

I contacted 2 past colleagues from my previous company. Both were general managers and left over a year ago to start up their own company. Its going well so far. I pitched the idea that I work for them and they said yes on the spot. I start on Tuesday and work until the the start of December.

On 8th Dec I have a wedding to go to in VIC and I have flights booked to go home on the 13th with a return flight to Perth on the 3rd Jan. This was all booked in May. The plan now is to change arrival destination from Perth to Melbourne and go from there.

What is the normal wait time for a passport from the day the paperwork is submitted?

I have just been looking at the requirements needed to apply for citizenship. I was not aware of the following condition: you must not be absent for no more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately prior to application.

I was under the impression that you only have to be in the country for 12 months within the 5 year life on the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I have just been looking at the requirements needed to apply for citizenship. I was not aware of the following condition: you must not be absent for no more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately prior to application.

I was under the impression that you only have to be in the country for 12 months within the 5 year life on the visa.

You have to have spent 4 years lawfully in the country
    Including at least 1 year on a PR visa
    Have to have spent 9 of the previous 12 month in the country also (ir not absent for more than 90 days)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Mellor wrote: »
    You have to have spent 4 years lawfully in the country
    Including at least 1 year on a PR visa
    Have to have spent 9 of the previous 12 month in the country also (ir not absent for more than 90 days)

Also not absent from the country for more than 1 year over the 4 years including the 90 days the year immediately before applying.

It seems reasonable to be honest.

I'm guessing you won't meet that criteria if you go home now until January OP? It may end up just meaning that you won't be able to apply until January 2016 then. Which if you do it right won't matter as the ceremony is Australia day/day before so even if you were eligible in September, unless I missed something, you wouldn't get your passport until after the january 26th or 25th ceremony.

Open to correction though.

Advertisement