Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously comtempleting going home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

irishmover wrote: »
    Also not absent from the country for more than 1 year over the 4 years including the 90 days the year immediately before applying.
    Ah thats it, had a feeling there was was some thing else.
    Which if you do it right won't matter as the ceremony is Australia day/day before so even if you were eligible in September, unless I missed something, you wouldn't get your passport until after the january 26th or 25th ceremony.
    There's more than one ceremony per year. Australia day is just popular day to have them.
    They are on all through out the year, depending on your council

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Mellor wrote: »
    Ah thats it, had a feeling there was was some thing else.

There's more than one ceremony per year. Australia day is just popular day to have them.
    They are on all through out the year, depending on your council

Yeah I always thought that after September they try to pigeon hole everyone who is waiting on a ceremony until Australia day? So almost half the year. Which is why I was thinking that regardless of whether he completed everything in September 2015 he would still have to wait until January.

You know if this would be the case for Brisbane? or is it as you said just varies depending on council.

I'll be eligible to apply October 27th 2015. So I've a strong feeling that it will be Australia day when my ceromony would be if I completed everything early November.

Yeah I always thought that after September they try to pigeon hole everyone who is waiting on a ceremony until Australia day? So almost half the year. Which is why I was thinking that regardless of whether he completed everything in September 2015 he would still have to wait until January.

Nothing like that in my council anyway. The dates for 2014 were;
    Sunday 26 January (Australia Day)
    Thursday 6 February
    Thursday 6 March
    Thursday 3 April
    Thursday 8 May
    Thursday 5 June
    Thursday 3 July
    Thursday 7 August
    Thursday 4 September
    Thursday 9 October
    Thursday 6 November
    Thursday 4 December

Nothing like that in my council anyway. The dates for 2014 were;

You beauty. Might possibly have my ceremony before Christmas. Hoping to fly home to see the family then! Youll be to blame if that's not the case Mellor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What's PR? How long do you need to be there/ work there to get citizenship?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

You know if this would be the case for Brisbane? or is it as you said just varies depending on council.

I'll be eligible to apply October 27th 2015. So I've a strong feeling that it will be Australia day when my ceremony would be if I completed everything early November.

Not sure what Brisbane council is like for dates, I know Melbourne has one mid-November (12th Nov this year) then the next one is Australia Day. I tried to google the Brisbane one but it just gives a phone number for you to call. I assume there is an option to travel interstate to do the ceremony though or does it need to be done in your local council?

Not sure what Brisbane council is like for dates, I know Melbourne has one mid-November (12th Nov this year) then the next one is Australia Day. I tried to google the Brisbane one but it just gives a phone number for you to call. I assume there is an option to travel interstate to do the ceremony though or does it need to be done in your local council?

Mind flicking me that number? Will call myself when I get a minute free in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Mind flicking me that number? Will call myself when I get a minute free in work.

Taken from http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/community/community-support/multicultural-services/citizenship-information
    Initial enquiries regarding Australian citizenship, applications and approval should be directed to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). The department is open 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday and can be contacted directly on 131 880.

Once your application is approved, contact DIAC about attending a citizenship ceremony.

That only refers to the Brisbane city council (ie the CBD), there's prob 50+ other councils in Qld. Depending on where you live exactly, there will probably be one nearby in october or november.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What's PR? How long do you need to be there/ work there to get citizenship?

With questions like those you'll probably never need to know the answers..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

Zambia wrote: »
    Mate your on thin ice try and be constructive or at least civil.

I'm not your 'mate'

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

I will satisfy the 1 year in 4 requirement, that's why I didn't mention it :p

I'm away for 3 weeks at Xmas so I have another 6 weeks of leeway before I breach the 90 day rule

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

removed quote of deleted post - mod

That only refers to the Brisbane city council (ie the CBD), there's prob 50+ other councils in Qld. Depending on where you live exactly, there will probably be one nearby in october or november.

The BCC extends further than the CBD. Quite a number of suburbs are in BCC regulations. I'm definitely well inside BCC so will see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

SameDiff wrote: »
    I'm not your 'mate'

This is the aussie form mate. If you dont like it leave*

The BCC extends further than the CBD. Quite a number of suburbs are in BCC regulations. I'm definitely well inside BCC so will see what they say.
    My point was that there's more options than just BCC in the brisbane area. Have a look around the other other council websites and see if there's one coming up. If not, there's a few availible in sydney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

Sundy wrote: »
    This is the aussie form mate. If you dont like it leave

This is the Aussie forum, mate. If you don't like it, leave.

Same difference, mate.

lnfw6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Same difference, mate.

Aussie sub forum on an Irish social website. Is there an Australian equivalent of boards.ie?

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    Aussie sub forum on an Irish social website. Is there an Australian equivalent of boards.ie?

Yeh whirlpool.net.au but its not as good IMO.

catbear wrote: »

Probably the closest you will find:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

What was the argument, you telling me to leave?

That's not an argument.

yeah i dont care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Yeh whirlpool.net.au but its not as good IMO.
    Totally agree. It's good for technical stuff but not much banter.

My point was that there's more options than just BCC in the brisbane area. Have a look around the other other council websites and see if there's one coming up. If not, there's a few availible in sydney.

I'm too late to call them now. Just home and had a look through pomsinoz etc and some people are saying you can only go to a ceremony in your residing council. Interested to hear if anyone here has conflicting stories?

I'm too late to call them now. Just home and had a look through pomsinoz etc and some people are saying you can only go to a ceremony in your residing council. Interested to hear if anyone here has conflicting stories?

Pretty sure I heard of someone getting moved from a rural council to a city one because of the wait.

Could just be hearsay though

<snip>

From the immi website:
    Travelling before your ceremony
    You cannot get an Australian passport until you have made the pledge and officially become an Australian citizen.

If you need to travel outside Australia after you have been approved for citizenship but before your ceremony, you must travel on your current passport. This will not affect your ability to attend your ceremony or become an Australian citizen.

Before you depart you must ensure you have a visa that allows you to re-enter Australia for your ceremony. If the travel validity period on you permanent visa has expired, or is about to expire, you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa.

If you do plan to travel outside Australia before your ceremony, please let us know. Contact the Citizenship Information Line.
    Telephone: 131 880 between 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/ceremonies/attending_ceremony/

To me that sounds like you can travel while waiting for the ceremony?

Sundy wrote: »
    From the immi website:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/ceremonies/attending_ceremony/

To me that sounds like you can travel while waiting for the ceremony?

Yeah you can. The grace period is directly after the ceremony where you're not to travel.

• Advertisement

Yeah you can. The grace period is directly after the ceremony where you're not to travel.

So you can't travel between ceremony & passport?

Get it now..

Advertisement