Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously comtempleting going home

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

irishmover wrote: »
    I'm too late to call them now. Just home and had a look through pomsinoz etc and some people are saying you can only go to a ceremony in your residing council. Interested to hear if anyone here has conflicting stories?
    Nope, you can go (by arrangement) to any citizenship ceremony. Your own council is your first port of call (and if you don't call them, they should eventually call you) but if they can't accommodate you they'll refer you to another council. When I rang up the Town of East Fremantle a few years back they weren't planning to organise one any time soon - it's a tiny council, and soon to be abolished - so I was offered (a) an immediate private ceremony in the mayor's office, or (b) a referral to the adjacent and much larger City of Fremantle, to be dealt with at their next regular ceremony. I took the second option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Nope, you can go (by arrangement) to any citizenship ceremony. Your own council is your first port of call (and if you don't call them, they should eventually call you) but if they can't accommodate you they'll refer you to another council. When I rang up the Town of East Fremantle a few years back they weren't planning to organise one any time soon - it's a tiny council, and soon to be abolished - so I was offered (a) an immediate private ceremony in the mayor's office, or (b) a referral to the adjacent and much larger City of Fremantle, to be dealt with at their next regular ceremony. I took the second option.

Well yeah of course by arrangement and at your local councils descretion, but you can't go and call up some council in Sydney when living in brisbane and arrange to go their before your own council is even in touch though can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well yeah of course by arrangement and at your local councils descretion, but you can't go and call up some council in Sydney when living in brisbane and arrange to go their before your own council is even in touch though can you?
    You should ring your own council first, if only for the common sense reason that if they can accommodate you that will be much the most convenient thing for you. But if they can't, and there's another Council whose dates suit you, I don't think they're going to knock you back.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You should ring your own council first, if only for the common sense reason that if they can accommodate you that will be much the most convenient thing for you. But if they can't, and there's another Council whose dates suit you, I don't think they're going to knock you back.

So you're saying that the people in pomsinoz forum just got unlucky? Some said they had to wait up to 6 months as they couldn't go to a different council.

Im still a year away so I guess I can cross that bridge when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Does the WHV count towards the 4 years of being a resident in Australia?

• Advertisement

Sundy wrote: »
    Does the WHV count towards the 4 years of being a resident in Australia?

Remember that question being asked here a long time ago and 99% certain its a yes. You're a lawful resident on those visas so no excuse for it not to count.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Right - this thread is in danger of being de-railed. Back on topic, everyone please.

J_Mysterio and SameDiff both banned for a week for being uncivil.

Everyone else take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

So if you exceed the 90 day limit, what happens? Do you have to stay for another year to satisfy this rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2010jc

Mellor wrote: »
    How long have you have PR?
    With 4+ years under your belt, it'd be crazy to go home now if you've anything close to 12 months on PR.

Are you aware of the difference citizenship makes over PR.

What is the difference between citizenship over PR?
    Presumably - ease of return?
    Anything else?
    I'm currently on a PR visa and probably
    returning to Ireland before being entitled to citizenship.
    I'm looking into getting superannuation back. Not sure if it's possible yet, but seems like it might be easier with PR than citizenship..

2010jc wrote: »
    Anything else?
    I'm currently on a PR visa and probably
    returning to Ireland before being entitled to citizenship.
    I'm looking into getting superannuation back. Not sure if it's possible yet, but seems like it might be easier with PR than citizenship..

Citizenship means you can come and go when you like to Australia and new Zealand. You have a passport.

PR is only valid for 5 years. After which you need a resident return visa if you leave the country. You need to meet criteria in order to get the RRV.

You can get your super back but you'll have to forfeit your PR. Cancel your visa, be out of the country longer than 30 days and then the process can begin.

Personally I dont think its smart to cash in on your PR just for some super that will be 35% taxed for early removal. Also losing your PR which costs minimum $5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm too late to call them now. Just home and had a look through pomsinoz etc and some people are saying you can only go to a ceremony in your residing council. Interested to hear if anyone here has conflicting stories?
    It might vary from council to council.
    But for example, there's a ceremony in Hyde Park as on the morning of the St Patricks day parade. You don't need to be residing in the Sydney City council area to attend that. You don't need to be Irish either, but that's obviously the idea.
    2010jc wrote: »
    Anything else?
    Ease of return, Citizenship doesn't expire.
    No cost in returning, a RR visa is a couple of grand.
    If anything was ever to happen overseas, you've now got two governments to help you out.
    Possibly a few extra benefits regarding visa/entry to other countries.
    Your children can become citizens easily. That could be a decent benefit for them. Bypassing WHV, 457, PR and all the cost, stress and hassle that goes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

As a PR you don't get to vote.

As a citizen you are fined if you dont vote.

As a PR you cant work for some federal state bodies like centrelink (always be the dream I guess........)

Your PR Visa can be cancelled in the case of serious offending.

Zambia wrote: »
    As a PR you don't get to vote.

As a citizen you are fined if you dont vote.

As a PR you cant work for some federal state bodies like centrelink (always be the dream I guess........)

Your PR Visa can be cancelled in the case of serious offending.

This is true. I was in discussion for a position with the AFP forensics team in Canberra. They were keen on me joining but have a citizenship requirement. They couldn't even convince their superiors to take me on as a PR. Told me if I'm still interested when I gain citizenship to contact them.

Shame. Seemed like an amazing job.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Don't get too hung up on ceremony dates. Councils put on extra dates if there's a backlog. Those dates aren't published online, only those that need to attend will be told.
    I did mine in June in Melbourne, the ceremony was put on to get through the backlog. I had a week's notice of it.
    Thinking of going home too..

Advertisement