Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Missy? *possible spoilers*

Options
  • 28-10-2014 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Who is Missy?

So who do we think is Missy?

Here is a quote from Missy...(released by Moffat)

"You betrayed me. You betrayed my trust, our friendship, and everything I've ever stood for. You let me down,"

1) Clara from another time in the Doctors life?
    2) The Master
    3) The Valeyard
    4) The Rani
    5) A past companion turned evil (Susan Foreman)
    6) Cyber-controller Overlord
    7) River Song
    8) Tasha Lem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

River Song. She has some similar personality traits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, does Missy even look like Clara? I honestly don't see any physical similarity at all.

Feels like ages ago now, but in episode 1 Missy referred to the Doctor as her 'boyfriend', so read into that what you will. With that in mind, it couldn't really be River Song given that she's his wife, and we've seen both her incarnations up to the wedding.

Whatever she is, I can't say I've been that excited about finding out; Michelle Gomez has chewed the scenery so gratuitously in her every scene I shudder a little at the prospect of an entire finale dedicated to her. Mind you, she's chewing almost as much as the actor who played Madame Kovarian in Series 6, so maybe it's a new version of her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭tritium

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, does Missy even look like Clara? I honestly don't see any physical similarity at all.

Feels like ages ago now, but in episode 1 Missy referred to the Doctor as her 'boyfriend', so read into that what you will. With that in mind, it couldn't really be River Song given that she's his wife, and we've seen both her incarnations up to the wedding.

Whatever she is, I can't say I've been that excited about finding out; Michelle Gomez has chewed the scenery so gratuitously in her every scene I shudder a little at the prospect of an entire finale dedicated to her. Mind you, she's chewing almost as much as the actor who played Madame Kovarian in Series 6, so maybe it's a new version of her :D

Yep I'd noticed some Kovarianesque traits before. The quote is intriguing. Since she's talking about betraying their friendship and values that should rule out the master and valeyard. I would have said Clara except Missy previously commented how she'd chosen well with Clara, which might imply they're different people.

Maybe a past companion? Possible but she appears too powerful for that. She could of course be entirely new with back story to follow. I always like the idea that she was death- I remember reading that the doctor had dealings with an eternal(?) Called death in some non canon books and it fits well with the idea of the doctor undoing the genocide of the time war.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd be a bit disappointed if she turns out to be The Master, just cause it means John Simm won't be back, and I loved John Simm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I think that Missy is an incarnation of Bad Wolf. When Rose was Bad Wolf, she had pretty much unlimited power, it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility that she had looked into the Doctor's future and saw what was going to happen with The Great Intelligence and created Clara to help the Doctor. In the trailer for next weeks episode, Clara says she never existed. She might say this if she was created out of nothing. Also Missy mentions being the Doctor's boyfriend, which Rose thought she was and therefore so would Bad Wolf. Bad Wolf created paradise/the promised land as a place where anyone who was killed during an adventure with the Doctor could go to because Bad Wolf feels responsible for them, as she is the one keeping the Doctor alive by helping him behind the scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think Missy in unrelated to anything we've ever seen before and any airs cast toward a familiarity is Moffat deliberately baiting the fandom.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah, as Radio Free Skaro are keen to say repeatedly: Not everything has to be about something before.

Now that I've said that it'll turn out to be Romana or something ridiculous like that :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cybermen plus woman done up in Victorian garb? Whatabout Mercy Hartigan played by Dervla Kirwan in The Next Doctor? I did have to look that bit up. Though it sounded familiar. Maybe she somehow survived in another dimension and grew older and more powerful and came back looking for revenge?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I think Missy in unrelated to anything we've ever seen before and any airs cast toward a familiarity is Moffat deliberately baiting the fandom.

Would agree with that.

My guess is that she's the gatekeeper of heaven who is obsessed with the Doctor because of how many "presents" (i.e. dead people) he sends her way; someone he's never met, but who likes the fact he is responsible for so, so many deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

That sounds like a good theory. Considering her line about Earth having more people dead than alive, maybe she's collecting the dead to form an Army, either against Earth or against the Doctor himself, using everyone that's ever died because of him, against him?

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How about an Amy that's gone bitter? Her involvement with The Doctor lead to her never getting to raise her daughter... who he then turned around and married. Could that be the "betrayal" spoken of?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I think that Missy is River Song (or a remnant of someone who got saved in the library) and the reason that everyone who dies goes straight to her is because they are still all in the library so when they die they automatically get "saved", the library saved thousand of people, everyone is trapped in the library computer even the doctor and all these scenario's are just the library's way of creating something that they will all find to be real and when they die in one program they are just shifted to another. Even Mr Pink is a lie because he is too much of a convenience for Clara. I mean they are never under any real threat, the moon was an egg that hatched and laid another egg, the Orient express was flying through space with a mummy on it and when it died it didn't appear in "heaven" because it was just an NPC, trees grew overnight to save Earth from a solar flare and then disappeared and no one even asked why, a girl who was missing for years just suddenly appeared in a bush. The Library is changing **** constantly to try convince people trapped in it that they are living in reality. Most of the story lines are just to keep the doctor interested and not asking questions because the library is to busy trying to create mysteries for him to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Could she be another incarnation of the TARDIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm still putting my money on The Rani.

Gomez has that mad glint in her eyes like O'Mara had, and raising the dead is one hell of a science experiment..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I'm still putting my money on The Rani.
    BB, you say what I wanted to say, but was afeared of derision. *tips hat* :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

"Call me Clara."

"I'd prefer miss"

Miss C

"Call me Clara."

"I'd prefer miss"

Miss C

Nice theory but I hope not. Solving Clara's strop to get rid of Missy would be almost as bad as defeating the Cybermen with love. Theres only so much ignominy a race should have to endure

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Im going with the valeyard. Really excited for this finale, hope it saves whats been a very average series for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

^

I think it'll be like above some version or form of the Doctor himself
    "You betrayed me. You betrayed my trust, our friendship, and everything I've ever stood for. You let me down,"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

How many versions of the valeyard or master can there be?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

How many versions of the valeyard or master can there be?
    As many as the plot needs :pac:

Well, it appears I have a hat to eat..but I suppose that wasn't an unexpected answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

And now we know.

The "Missy, short for Mistress" thing was a line you could see coming a mile off. I do kinda wish they'd gone with a different Time Lord/Lady from the older show though, if only to add a bit more variety.

Still could a ruse by Moffat, May have to wait for next week.

Still could a ruse by Moffat, May have to wait for next week.

Certainly hoping so....

Indeed..it could yet turn out to be a lie..

The Master wrote: »
    ^

I think it'll be like above some version or form of the Doctor himself

So you enjoy having breasts? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

So you enjoy having breasts? :P

They're Dalek bumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

One thing I noticed, Clara didn't recognize Missy as 'The Woman in the Shop' who gave her the TARDIS number.

Advertisement