Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to save on legal costs?

Options
  • 28-10-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

So we've now had our offer accepted. Both ourselves and seller eager to close the sale promptly. I wouldn't dream of buying without using a solicitor. But are there any parts of the process that we could do ourselves to help keep costs down? Searches or registrations etc for example?

I've phoned around a few and prices vary from €2000 to €3000. Really my main need for the solicitor is the contract so anything outside that that a 'lay person' can do with a bit of an effort I'd be happy to do if it meant shaving a few hundred off the costs.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is close to nothing you can do yourself. The search fees are fixed and won't change - the solicitors fee will be anywhere from 800 ex VAT upwards.

Even if you did searches yourself the solicitor would still have to check them so wouldn't reduce their fee. As goes not having one - self conveyancing is considered to be effectively impossible in Ireland.

You do not need to use a solicitor nearby and you absolutely do not need to use one recommended by the agent or the sellers solicitor (I'd recommend against both) - so the easiest way to get a few hundred off the price is shop around and shop wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

MYOB wrote: »
    There is close to nothing you can do yourself. The search fees are fixed and won't change - the solicitors fee will be anywhere from 800 ex VAT upwards.

Even if you did searches yourself the solicitor would still have to check them so wouldn't reduce their fee. As goes not having one - self conveyancing is considered to be effectively impossible in Ireland.

You do not need to use a solicitor nearby and you absolutely do not need to use one recommended by the agent or the sellers solicitor (I'd recommend against both) - so the easiest way to get a few hundred off the price is shop around and shop wide.

Ah that's a shame. Where we used to live it was possible to do some of the leg work yourself to reduce costs.

I've contacted local and further afield and conveniently one of the cheapest and most highly recommended is a local firm. Wouldn't dream of using the sellers firm, although I have heard this is one way to save on costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

People really underestimate the importance of a good solicitor at purchasing stage. Get the best you can afford and dont skimp, a lot of houses have subtle title issues etc. that could cause major issues down the line that some less meticulous or inexperienced solicitors may miss!

Advertisement