Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unleash the fury.....

• 28-10-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So..... as a long time lurker and part time runnerist I'm hoping to keep a log for the next 365 days. Hopefully it's one that will see me finally run DCM under 4 hours in 2015.
    So a little about me...... 34 yo, female, running 5 years..... 5 marathons under my belt and have yet to break that elusive 4hr mark.
    My first marathon took me 5 hours and the last (DCM 13) took 4.03. Great improvement, right? Wrong. I put my heart and soul into training in 2013 and still came up short of my goal (started too fast then hit the wall in a major way at mile 20.... throw in a few stomach cramps and you get the gist).
    After that fateful day last year I became totally disillusioned with running and for the whole of 2014 to date I only managed one run a week.
    I was firmly stuck in my running wilderness until yesterday... when I rocked up in Castleknock to support a colleague. Well, the buzz of the day, the enthusiasm of the runners and the amazing support of the crowd has clearly awakened something in me, for it got me thinking..... maybe one last shot;-)
    So here I am...... 1 year older, 1 stone heavier and 1 year away from that sub 4. I've decided I am going to own DCM15. .... and posting here is going to keep me accountable......It's my last shot and I am sure that if I fall short again running and I will be over for good....so please wish me good running luck:-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

...so please wish me good running luck:-)

Good running luck:D
    I'll follow with interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck. So what's the plan for the next few months? Were you doing many races of shorter distance when you were running?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 newgalrunning

Hey Sam, the goal for the next few weeks is just to get back to running regularly. I'm aiming to get back to 4 times a week..... started with a slow 4 miler tonight.
    After Christmas I plan on upping the ante and starting to increase the long runs. I'll decide on January what races to target for the year.
    As a secondary goal I'd like to run a sub 45 10k next year.... best is currently 47. I'm not sure the best way to proceed yet but for now I just want to get back to running regularly.

Good stuff. We have similar 10 km times and I too want to get it down. Look forward to following this. Enjoy your return, you wont be sorry. Out of interest did you switch to a different exercise when you gave up for the year?

Not really Sam.... I tried hiking, swimming, rowing, cycling but nothing stuck so I feel like I'm starting from scratch again. Looking forward to getting into it again though.... just a little sickened that I'm heavier and slower than this time last year.... ah well:-)
    Ps; great to have someone at the same level to compare notes with!!!

• Advertisement

Ah the weight wont be long coming off once you get back out there, that's one of the reasons I run;)

Nice, enjoyable Saturday morning run straight into a strong headwind. thankfully had it on my back for the last mile:-)
    5 miles in 48 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Best of luck with getting sub 4 and I hope you enjoy your year of training, I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.

Woke up with a dull ache in my right hip but so psyched about running that I didn't want to miss another run so popped a couple of paracetamol and hit the road.
    Figure I did 6 miles....my Garmon died before I got to 2 miles - the shock of me running twice at the weekend probably killed it:-)
    The pace was fairly slow on account of my achy hip but I kept reminding myself that it's getting out that counts.
    Twas an enjoyable run.... felt I could have gone for another couple of miles but didn't want to push it so came home and did 20 mins stretching instead.

Mind that hip, don't try to do too much to soon. I'd say rest it til it's pain free. I know you really don't want to hear this.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sam..... I know you're right.... It's frustrating though..... I finally get my mojo back and my hip gives in.....
    I stretched it out well this afternoon though and it's not as sore now. Going to take it easy for the next couple of days so hopefully that'll fix it. So excited about getting back!!!!

Rested up for 2 days and took to the roads this morning for my first ever before work run. Did 3.5 miles with no pain in my hip...... whoop, whoop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Rested up for 2 days and took to the roads this morning for my first ever before work run. Did 3.5 miles with no pain in my hip...... whoop, whoop!

How did you find it? I love running before work; sets you up for the day!

crisco10 wrote:
    How did you find it? I love running before work; sets you up for the day!

Hey Crisco, it was good..... so good that I think I might repeat tomorrow...... although tbh I'm only doing it because I can't bare to be stuck in traffic and leaving that bit earlier means my commute is only 20 mins instead of an hour. If I didn't have traffic to contend with there's not a hope I'd run in the mornings:-)

Being a lazy sod by nature, rain hitting my window yesterday morning meant I opted to hit the snooze button instead of leap out of bed and hit the roads. When the (light) rain eventually cleared I opted to go for brunch instead of a quick jog so by the time 6 o'clock rolled round and I hadn't done anything productive the guilt set in. It was too dark to run outside so I hit the gym for a run on the treadmill. I got there just in time for the 2nd half of the rugby so watched that for 40 mins while I pounded away. I was so busy admiring the Irish team, and especially their physiques in those tight white jerseys that I didn't feel the 40 mins going. 4.5 miles in 50 mins.

Today was slightly more productive. Managed 6 miles. The last 3 miles were on a path I'd often run but as it was over very mucky fields it was slower than I'd hoped. Did 6 miles in an hour. Not too bothered about the time but quite disgusted that my new runners are now filthy:-(

Advertisement