Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miniature horse moving into housing estate...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The horse will be absolutely fine sleeping alone in a shed at night. Why are you assuming they will not have adequate transport arrangements?

I know the horse will be fine sleeping alone. Did you not read what I quoted? They are planning on moving the horse about every morning and evening so that it won't be sleeping alone.

What for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

pwurple wrote: »
    I know the horse will be fine sleeping alone. Did you not read what I quoted? They are planning on moving the horse about every morning and evening so that it won't be sleeping alone.

What for?
    Sorry, i misunderstood your post and agree the horse doesnt need any company at night.

I don't understand your point I'm afraid about moving it though, what's the problem with moving the horse each day?

I wouldn't leave the animal by itself on land not adjacent to mine either btw as it could easily be lifted.

Sorry, i misunderstood your post and agree the horse doesnt need any company at night.

I don't understand your point I'm afraid about moving it though, what's the problem with moving the horse each day?

I wouldn't leave the animal by itself on land not adjacent to mine either btw as it could easily be lifted.

It's a flippen dose moving horses around every day in my experience. I've done it for someone when they were on holiday. Never again. Getting a wet mucky horse into a box, driving around, unloading, feeding, mucking out, getting it in again in the morning, driving it off, unloading.

These people might be putting the cutsie factor ahead of practicality.

It's a flippen dose moving horses around every day in my experience. I've done it for someone when they were on holiday. Never again. Getting a wet mucky horse into a box, driving around, unloading, feeding, mucking out, getting it in again in the morning, driving it off, unloading.

These people might be putting the cutsie factor ahead of practicality.

This is a miniature horse, moving them is not difficult. Mucking them out will take approx 10 minutes a day, not much more than any other pet really. If they are fine with it then what's the problem? Should everyone only pick the most practical pet they can or something.

This is a miniature horse, moving them is not difficult. Mucking them out will take approx 10 minutes a day, not much more than any other pet really. If they are fine with it then what's the problem? Should everyone only pick the most practical pet they can or something.

Tell me how a miniature horse is moved please. I'd love to know.

Um, and yes of course... if they are going to exploit animals for their own entertainment (ie as pets), then at the very least, it should be practical.

People should not have animals at all unless they can look after them properly and the unfortunate creature doesn't end up starving to death in some ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Look to me to be around the size of a large dog...

http://www.miniaturehorseclubofireland.com/links.html

Anyway, surely the care and mobility of this animal is way off topic!:)

Lovely set of caravans in that photo.

The care of the animal will be important when it's abandoned to the center of the green for grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Er... wha'?

Um, and yes of course... if they are going to exploit animals for their own entertainment (ie as pets), then at the very least, it should be practical.

People should not have animals at all unless they can look after them properly and the unfortunate creature doesn't end up starving to death in some ditch.

Who is exploiting? Is this animal now being forced to work in a mine for 20 hours a day or something? Have you evidence that these people don't intend to look after the animal properly?

Moving a miniature horse is not difficult. If you'd like to explain why it is not possible then away you go.

The care of the animal will be important when it's abandoned to the center of the green for grazing.

They have nearly an acre of land apparently, that is more than sufficient for summer grazing of an animal of that size and with winter haylage + grains the animal by no means suffer from under nutrition. You are just making negative assumptions.

• Advertisement

Who is exploiting?
    Well the horse is not exactly free to go about it's business, is it?
    Moving a miniature horse is not difficult. If you'd like to explain why it is not possible then away you go.

I've asked about three times how it is to be moved, you're apparantly an expert on all things equine, and you still can't answer a simple question. Is it to be stuffed into the back of a car?

Well the horse is not exactly free to go about it's business, is it?

I've asked about three times how it is to be moved, you're apparantly an expert on all things equine, and you still can't answer a simple question. Is it to be stuffed into the back of a car?

Please explain how any domestic horse is free to go about its business. Do you think that this animal is somehow being abused?

Horse can be transported in a suitable trailer or in a suitable van. I am not sure why you think moving horses is a big deal.

Please explain how any domestic horse is free to go about its business.
    No domestic animal is free to go about it's business. Pets are generally all separated from their mothers/herds/whatever, used and exploited by people for their own miserable entertainment purposes. Until they outlive their cuteness and get put down, abandoned, 'set free' to kill the local wildlife, or starve to death. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of it in general.
    Horse can be transported in a suitable trailer or in a suitable van. I am not sure why you think moving horses is a big deal.

And where does the trailer get parked? Across the neighbours driveway?

I think moving horses is a big deal because I've done it multiple times. I've also seen accidents on roads where people have been blowing the horn at people moving horses, horse gets spooked, car gets crashed.

Anyway, OP, I say object away. The horse is a daft idea in an urban environment / housing estate.

No domestic animal is free to go about it's business. Pets are generally all separated from their mothers/herds/whatever, used and exploited by people for their own miserable entertainment purposes. Until they outlive their cuteness and get put down, abandoned, 'set free' to kill the local wildlife, or starve to death. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of it in general.

And where does the trailer get parked? Across the neighbours driveway?

I think moving horses is a big deal because I've done it multiple times. I've also seen accidents on roads where people have been blowing the horn at people moving horses, horse gets spooked, car gets crashed.

Anyway, OP, I say object away. The horse is a daft idea in an urban environment / housing estate.

Ah ok, you just don't think anyone should have a pet. Gotcha. There probably isnt any argument that anyone can make with you so.

Moving horses isn't hard, if you think it is then you are doing it wrong, are not trained correctly or moving horses in an unsuitable manner.

LOL@ where does the trailer get parked. You are really clutching at straws aren't you.

A miniature horse is no more daft than a dog :rolleyes:

Moving horses isn't hard, if you think it is then you are doing it wrong, are not trained correctly or moving horses in an unsuitable manner.

I'd imagine the OP's neighbours are not trained. in any way Why on earth do you assume they will have any clue about what they are doing. They are talking about moving a horse into a shed in a housing estate, so it won't be lonely. This sounds like someone with training to you?

I'd imagine the OP's neighbours are not trained. in any way Why on earth do you assume they will have any clue about what they are doing. They are talking about moving a horse into a shed in a housing estate, so it won't be lonely. This sounds like someone with training to you?

Sounds like someone concerned about the animals welfare that just doesn't have much experience. Luckily experience can be gained.

This isn't a full sized horse, there is a significant difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Just a general observation here OP................you went from this at 20:36 last night

20:36 "I've no issue whatsoever with this- i think its actually quite cute but just wondering is it allowed under local authority etc? No doubt it will be on the list for Santy by a few more in years to come!"

to this less than 2 hours later.

22:20 "Oh I'm definitely objecting to it no matter what- I don't think its the right place for a pony no matter what size it is- and after paying what I did for the house they can feck off!!"

Fair aul swing :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd a wolfhound that was bigger than that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Maybe they'll walk the horse to and fro?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

I think it's cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    Its going to be a therapy horse for the local nursing homes- their son has land down the road from the estate so they are thinking of putting it there but don't want it to be alone so they were going to build a shed and bring it up every night.
    Google got me; https://www.facebook.com/TherapyHorses

It looks cute, but it'll be a full time job for the people, as they'll need to get it to and back from the nursing home. On top of this, either they, or someone else will need to stay with the horse whilst it's in the nursing home (to help the people interact with the horse). Not sure about miniature horses, but I'm pretty sure that therapy dogs are great for people with alzheimer's.

OP, it may help if you check what sort of training that they have, as this may put your mind at rest. If they have had no training, yes, alarm bells, but if they plan to get certified after they get approved, but training before they get the miniature horse, then it may not be a problem.
    Sclosages wrote: »
    Maybe they'll walk the horse to and fro?
    If the horse is working all day, it will probably be tired, and this may become a problem. Also, a trailer will ensure none of the old people follow the horse home.

=-=

My grandfathers nursing home has a donkey on the grounds. Friendly, and the old folk (that can move from their beds) do love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

in the garden should be fine as its private property. Out on public grounds and areas unattended is a no no.

Firstly even though its small it could easily harm a child if provoked. It will foul footpaths contrary to the law and as based on a recent case in Finglas a few weeks ago generate controversy. The garda went in on-mass to remove two shetland's tied to a tree on a green there (they spent 2 hours a day on the green and the rest in private accommodation) and nearly started a small war. Residents came out on mass. They had the helicopter and double digit garda numbers to deal with it and the possible riot that luckily did not ensue. Owner was then charged 2k to have them returned. shambles but just goes to show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaoJC7rBlzc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I WANT A MINIATURE HORSE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

amdublin wrote: »
    I WANT A MINIATURE HORSE!!!

So do I but wouldn't it be better to buy two? To keep each other company, like. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod
    Folks I had to do a double take on the forum there for a minute...could you please try stick to topics that actually fall under the remit of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

So met them again, horse that would be coming is 26 inches high at full height- they assured me that labradors are bigger. I think I was okay with it at the start because I thought each to their own like if its no bigger than a dog and the only difference is a neigh instead of a bark sure why not. I think I just thought too much about it in terms of objecting as in its just something different and maybe i'm just not one that likes different but who am I to deny the elderly of something that helps them be it a dog or a horse. It is a cute idea i suppose but realistically its still a tiny horse and i think that's at the back of my mind. Other people in the estate think they are cracked but they are just more modern in their thinking i suppose!

Note they have a therapy licence and the husband is involved in training guide dogs.
    Saw the garden today where they plan on putting it and its big enough for it- lots of room to run around. They will be walking it the 200 meters every evening to the house to stay in the stable (i think shed may have been the wrong word to use) and walking it back to the field which has a donkey in it every morning. It'll be in the garden/house sometimes and to be honest a miniature horse in their house is their own business, that doesnt bother me.

I think the whole idea of having a little horse in the estate is a weird thing more so than anything but when i googled them some of them are tiny!!

Horse otherwise will be transported in a trailer- not the back of a car.

Majority of neighbours don't want it but if they cant have the miniature horse it'll be another therapy dog. Its just a new way they were interested in trying out for the community.

Advertisement