Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying lawnmower-recomendations

• 28-10-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Buying my first lawnmower and looking for erecommendations
    going for a push self propelled hand lawnmower
    want to get one that will last and the garden is pretty big im on a 0.6 acre site.
    brands i should look for?
    where to buy etc?
    all help appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I'd advise waiting another while before buying: dealers and stores usually offer a nice discount before they get the new stock/models in and you can save a few euro.
    Honda are the best - imo - but are a bit dearer. McCulloch are good work-horses too. You'll want a large engine for a .6a site and get the mulcher attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭about2build

Ok thanks what about the qualcast in argos?
    what sort of cc should I be looking for and without asking a silly question what is the idea of the mulcher??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have a 0.5a site and to be honest couldn't see myself cutting it with a push mower.

Using a ride-on mulching its still a good 25-30mins work to do it right.

Would you consider a well looked after 2nd hand ride-on?

NIMAN ideally Id love a ride on but it has been cost prohibitive ans as you can imagine after finishing a house its a bit short!
    Have you suggestion re second hand mowers?

Not really, just that I think cutting that site with a push mower will be hard work.

Plus add to this the fact that you'd need to be buying a very good quality push mower for such a site, and you will find out that the likes of a Honda will be big money anyway, and for not much more you might find a 2nd hand ride-on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A site that size will need a strong engine and will entail a lot of walking.
    The mulcher will mean you don't need to attach the bag for collecting clippings: emptying the grass-bag on a site that size would make cutting the grass a painful chore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Cut and collect on a site that size with a decent honda mower will only take 45 minutes to one hour it isn't really a problem tbh and people never used to mind it, ride on mowers in general are a bit pointless unless you have a massive area, I do all my customers with a walk behind.

Laztbones does that mean that the grass doesnt get collected? or am i misinterpreting ?
    I looked up online and some ride ons being advertised for 500- 850...that kind of price but i wouldnt know what id be getting!
    new one Id say would be in the 1500+ range
    Im happy to use a push lawn mower as once trees are planted etc id be a long time trying to go around them with a rider
    Thanks to all now a recommendation for push laenmower that would be a good choice for what im dealing with?? :)

Yes mulching means that it's chopped up small and left on the ground. Not a very practical option in ireland only for a few very dry cuts in summer and looks pretty awful tbh.

But all mulchers will also be able to collect should you need them to.

I mulch all the time, usually letting the grass dry out for a few days if its wet, and its been fine for 4+ years. I appreciate that if you have a real wet period (I remember a full month of rain) and can't get to mulch it, it can get very long and then doesn't cut as well. In that case I usually cut really high and try to fit in a few cuts on consecutive days.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    But all mulchers will also be able to collect should you need them to.

I mulch all the time, usually letting the grass dry out for a few days if its wet, and its been fine for 4+ years. I appreciate that if you have a real wet period (I remember a full month of rain) and can't get to mulch it, it can get very long and then doesn't cut as well. In that case I usually cut really high and try to fit in a few cuts on consecutive days.

Not all mulchers collect, and generally mowers with mulching features also have a differently designed deck so they aren't as efficient on collecting.

Mulching is a false economy, I cut grass as part of my business and I don't mulch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭mossy50

buy a GOAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You should avoid Qualcast products at all
    costs. I speak from bitter personal experience. Go for something like a Castelgarden with the Briggs and Stratton engine - well made,reliable and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Honda engines are good, no question but the best engine I have ever used on a mower is a Kawasaki FJ180V, enormous torque and as reliable as a stone.
    They have pressurised oil lubrication not just splash fed like the Honda.
    A 2nd hand Kaaz, Oren or similar will do the job fine, they are strong mowers and last for a very long time.
    I'd avoid Briggs and Stratton if I was buying a mower.

I have recently acquired a viking pro mower with the Kawasaki engine and am very impressed with it although I still love my honda mowers too.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I have recently acquired a viking pro mower with the Kawasaki engine and am very impressed with it although I still love my honda mowers too.
    I have a fair bit of Honda equipment but comparing Honda with Kawasaki in small engines the Kawasaki is ahead in nearly every respect.
    Internally the finish of the Kawasaki is top class compared with the Honda.
    I have seen some of their engines with many hundreds of hours of commercial use and all they needed was a set of rings.

@CJHaughey - you say you would avoid buying a Briggs and Stratton powered machine. Why is that ?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have a fair bit of Honda equipment but comparing Honda with Kawasaki in small engines the Kawasaki is ahead in nearly every respect.
    Internally the finish of the Kawasaki is top class compared with the Honda.
    I have seen some of their engines with many hundreds of hours of commercial use and all they needed was a set of rings.

I can't agree completely, I have honda stuff that has done me well for 10+ years

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I can't agree completely, I have honda stuff that has done me well for 10+ years
    Don't get me wrong commercial GX Honda are very, very good.
    But Kawasaki are a better engine.
    @chicorytip, Briggs are pretty agricultural they work but compared to the Japanese engines they are far behind in quality, power and reliability in general plus their carb system is poor.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong commercial GX Honda are very, very good.
    But Kawasaki are a better engine.
    @chicorytip, Briggs are pretty agricultural they work but compared to the Japanese engines they are far behind in quality, power and reliability in general plus their carb system is poor.

How would you rate Stiga mowers from Sweden. I was thinking of buying one. They seem to have a good reputation.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    How would you rate Stiga mowers from Sweden. I was thinking of buying one. They seem to have a good reputation.
    They seem OK, good enough build quality but they all use cheapish engines.
    Even their Honda powered mowers use the GC series which are a consumer grade engine, the GX series are a lot better built than the GC engines.
    For mowers I'd look at what size area you have to cut, what size deck will be determined by that and then how much you want to pay.
    Then you can narrow it down rather than looking at brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I have a 0.5 acre of lawn. Looking at a second hand john deere ride on mower. Is there anywhere I can look up what the model number means. Like john deere LR135, LR175 or LT155. What year and spec would these machines be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

My last 2 mowers were Ariens, uses a Brigs & Strattan engine. U.S. make.

http://www.ariens.com/en-us/walk-behind-mowers

Very good mower.

OK guys im looking to go for a kawasaki push lawnmower, any recommendations on where to get them online or otherwise.....im in galway?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

OP, how about you borrow a push mower to try, & see how long it takes you? Just a thought.

Advertisement