Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old (almost 3) rejecting his Dad

Options
  • 28-10-2014 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My 2 year old (he's 3 next month) is shouting at me alot to go away or stop talking when I speak to him.

It's happened quite suddenly and we had really bonded well in the past, but now he wants his Mam to do everything for him and anytime I need to put him to bed/feed/dress him etc it is extremely stressful and he has tantrums.

Seems as well to only really happen when Mam is around, when I collect him from the creche alone he is in great form and we have a great afternoon together - he just gets possessive and stroppy with me when his Mam is about.

Any experience with this kind of thing here ?

I Goggled it and seems to be normal enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

That is normal and in a while it will switch. So either ignore it (but that may put pressure on your wife) and spend some quality time together away from his mother eg take him on a boys day out or try force the issue eg ignore the temper and you out him to bed etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

At the weekend when daddy is home my nearly 2 yo will not even let me take his cup or plate from him!! Daddy HAS to do it. Daddy daddy daddy! Lol. He must get very sick of me all week. Very normal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

We are going through that too, it's normally daddy he wants to do everything but this week it is me and daddy is taking
    the backseat for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Same here, daddy daddy daddy. Ah well, daddy can deal with the potty and all the other icky stuff so, see if i care :P

Daddy gets to do all the fun stuff usually, and can focus on the older one more as i usually also have the baby to take care off. Probably just an attention thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My son's only 1 but when I'm in the house Dada doesn't get a look in - he's a mama's boy. When I'm not here he's grand, but woe betide anyone who tries to keep him from his mama when I'm around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Might just be seperation anxiety, child lack object constancy. If you have spent some time with him already, and he hasn't seen my mom all day, he would be anxious to see her.

Advertisement