Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels in NYC?..

Options
  • 28-10-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hello ! I am heading to NYC in the new year for 4 nights and I am looking at booking our hotel over the next week or two.

> Has anybody stayed in a central hotel that they would like to recommend?

> Where did you book your hotel? Was it directly through the hotel or was it on booking.com etc? (I have come to not like booking.com as the VAT is not added on where as on the hotel websites it is added so you know what you are paying.. but then by booking there it means you might not get a discount!!) I am not sure what the best option is haha... Any advice? :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hello ! I am heading to NYC in the new year for 4 nights and I am looking at booking our hotel over the next week or two.

> Has anybody stayed in a central hotel that they would like to recommend?

> Where did you book your hotel? Was it directly through the hotel or was it on booking.com etc? (I have come to not like booking.com as the VAT is not added on where as on the hotel websites it is added so you know what you are paying.. but then by booking there it means you might not get a discount!!) I am not sure what the best option is haha... Any advice? :)

Thanks in advance.

Try a search on here, loads of threads answering this already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

If you find a good price online, call the hotel directly and ask for a better price. Sometimes they'll beat what you found.

As far as knowing what you're paying, also check to make sure there are no additional fees added to the room charge. A lot of hotels make their rates lower to compete online, but then add "resort fees" etc.

You probably won't have a car, but if you do, check the parking fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You probably won't have a car, but if you do, check the parking fees.

Don't even think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

What part of manhattan are you looking at staying in?

In midtown(midtown east) i would recomend the hilton manhattan east formally known as the tudor hotel in tudor city.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Thanks for all the replies. No we won't be renting a car so parking prices won't affect us.

Go ProGaming - Thank you for your recommendation. I will have a look into The Hilton/ From what I have noticed, the hilton group seem to be almost the best value . We are not too fussy about our location although I have read that you don't want to stay in Times Sq.. that its a place to visit & not stay there! ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I stayed just off times square in a place with pretty bad service, the michelangelo. Wouldn't recommend it anyway

I usually don't find a difference anywhere in price with booking.com vs the hotel, or at least only a small one - and i prefer the security of booking directly with the hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

We are not too fussy about our location although I have read that you don't want to stay in Times Sq.. that its a place to visit & not stay there! ???

It depends on your itinerary and what you're into. Here's an article that tells you more about the different neighborhoods - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s204/New-York-City:New-York:Neighborhoods.html

The good thing about NYC is that you're never more than a cab ride or subway ride away from things you want to see, so you can really stay anywhere at all and not worry much about getting around.

If you like the glitz of Times Square, then stay there...We've stayed at the W Hotel on Times Square and we enjoyed it. We were up high enough that it wasn't noisy, and it was within walking distance of everywhere we were going that weekend. The view was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

Milford Plaza. Walk out the door, down Broadway and you are in Times Square.

It's not 5 star but you only sleep in it so it is fine. Very central.

Also across from bus station to outlets (Woodburn Common etc.).

I've always used their website to book.

Have a brilliant time ☺

Advertisement