Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog drinking huge volume of water

• 28-10-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

Have a 14 month old terrier x who is drinking a lot of water. Since we have gotten her from the local rescue centre she has always been a big drinker, cos of this toilet training was very difficult. Anyways, I measured the amount of water she has had today, almost 1 litre. Does that sound like an awful lot for such a small dog?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What do you feed her?

Excessive drinking can be a symptom of certain illnesses so if you are concerned then you should have it checked out with a vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

She's been fed dry food, burns lamb & rice. I just felt it was a lot of water for her tiny body, and the fact that she's started piddling in the house again and her urine is quite watery, meaning that she's not dehydrated.

She's in mighty form so it's prob nothing, but just thought I'd check in here to see if anybody else has experienced this with their 4 legged buddies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

this is one for your vet im afraid so many things can manifest in our canine buddies this way

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The general rule of thumb is an upper limit of 100ml per kg of body weight, so I'm guessing your dog is exceeding that.
    Of course there is individual variation, and dry fed dogs drink more, but if it were my dog op, I'd be arranging blood tests (full panel to include thyroid function) and urinalysis with my vet.
    At least then your mind will be at ease if the results come back all clear.

Advertisement