Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get large sum of Sterling in CASH?

Options
  • 28-10-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need to buy something in the UK for around £3,000. I'll be taking this money from my Irish bank account. I'm just wondering am I best off just taking it out in GBP£ or would I get a better rate if I took it out in EURO and exchanged it elsewhere? I remember hearing something about An Post not charging some fees or something or other on Sterling exchanges?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

An Post never charged me commission on Sterling/Euro changes before anyway but I have never swapped that amount of money before so I'm not sure if there's a limit on the amount you can exchange commssion free.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I wouldn't get it through an post as frequently their rates are not competitive.

As an example last weekend we changed €650, and the differences between Royal Mail, An Post, M&S, Sainsburys and the currency place in the Buttercrane centre Newry was almost £50.

Go have a look at Moneysavingexperts travel money section, and should help point you in the right direction for choosing a provider. If you'll be doing it regularly, sign up for an exchange service done online.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't be fooled by the An Post 'No Commission' nonsense, it's just a marketing smokescreen to conceal the fact that their rate is usually worse than everyone else.

Advertisement