Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get help on opening a clothes shop?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering where I would get information on sourcing a supplier for a vintage shop? Are there certain markets outside of Ireland that shop owners go to for supplies? I would love a mentor on this but I'm not sure where to start. If anyone has any tips on where to start first I would appreciate it. : )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You could go trawling through a load of junk no one would ever think about wearing again or you could just use a company like http://www.glassonionvintage.com to do it for you!! Trawling through yourself might seem more "authentic" but you're going to have to spend a load of time at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

jimmii wrote: »
    You could go trawling through a load of junk no one would ever think about wearing again or you could just use a company like http://www.glassonionvintage.com to do it for you!! Trawling through yourself might seem more "authentic" but you're going to have to spend a load of time at it.
    Thanks for the share. Think will be timing my next UK visit with a sale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hug0

Thanks jimmii, I was thinking of maybe going the formal route,maybe wedding dresses also. Would this be best option for this type of retail?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

hug0 wrote: »
    Thanks jimmii, I was thinking of maybe going the formal route,maybe wedding dresses also. Would this be best option for this type of retail?

I would imagine its going to be very much location dependent and obviously floor space is going to be a factor too. Get a feel for what people in the area are buying go stalk a few shops for a couple of hours see if you notice any patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

hug0 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering where I would get information on sourcing a supplier for a vintage shop? Are there certain markets outside of Ireland that shop owners go to for supplies? I would love a mentor on this but I'm not sure where to start. If anyone has any tips on where to start first I would appreciate it. : )

There's a little shop I go to in North Wales called Vintage Mary Dei - they have a few fab vintage wedding dresses (and I think they're really amazing value) - the lady that runs it is really helpful and I'm sure would answer any questions you have. You'll find her on Facebook.
    I think to do vintage wedding dresses you'd have to offer a really good altering service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement