Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to scrape data

Options
  • 29-10-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the write section.

I am setting up a business and I need to scrap data from other websites (one website in particular). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this, or is there anyone interested in some side-work in writing a code (python was suggested to me)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Do you have permission to access the data and republish / reuse it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Jyoti565 wrote: »

I am setting up a business and I need to scrap data from other websites (one website in particular). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this, or is there anyone interested in some side-work in writing a code (python was suggested to me)?

Paracitic

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Have you approached the owners of the site to pay them to licence the data? Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it can be copied.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jyoti565

Hi, yes the data is public information and there are no issues are confidentiality etc. The information is available to manually copy, but looking for a automated solution

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jyoti565

Thanks for heads up, I've done the necessary checks regarding this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hi, yes the data is public information and there are no issues are confidentiality etc. The information is available to manually copy, but looking for a automated solution

Public information does not mean that you have any right to copy it.
    Unless the information is published under a clear license granting you that right eg. CC license or you have written confirmation I'd be very wary

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Public information could be subject to copyright law. Sounds like a nice nixer for a programmer.

Advertisement