Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexy street harassment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Duck Soup wrote:
    As for the 'rights/freedoms' argument, your right to swing your fists ends where my face begins.
    I suspect we are discussing two different topics; you're not seriously suggesting "good morning beautiful" is comparable to me punching you in the face? Are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

The man walking beside her did he even say anything to her? It's a public footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

UCDVet wrote: »
    No disagreement from me (on the bold). If it is sexual in nature, established that it is undesired *and* it continues - that's sexual harassment. But this video is mostly, 'Hey, how's it going?'

That's not inherently sexual
    It's not established that it is undesired
    And it didn't continue

Well okay, an interesting interpretation.

I see it as this:

The lady was singled out because she was female (and unaccompanied) and the remarks often included implied sexual overtones ("How are you, Beautiful?"). The lady continued to walk on, indicating that the approach was not welcomed. Despite this several of the males either followed her, or criticised her for not replying, or chastised her for not expressing appreciation. Those incidents are individually cases of harassment.

But probably the greatest impact for her was the repetition of such calls from men (who individually may have only spoken once) so the effect on her is reasonably termed as being harassed.

Of course this video is a set-up. The path was chosen to maximise the number of such interactions based on the prevalence of men hanging around on the street. The learning point is not that this is common in any one day, but that over a given period of time it demonstrates the sort of harassment women can be subjected to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Chunners wrote: »
    So you want a good gauge? ok here's one, if it is not appropriate to say it to a woman in your work place without risking getting a reprimand then don't say it to a random woman you pass on the street.

I routinely say many of the things shown in that video to female co-workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

The man walking beside her did he even say anything to her? It's a public footpath.

Yes, he tried to engage her in conversation and she ignored him. He then walked closely beside her for several minutes. It isn't illegal but it's seriously creepy.

But, it's also not fair to say that EVERYONE who says, 'Hey, how's it going' is a sexual deviant who was *probably* about to grope you.

Yeah, I don't recall anyone saying that, and I've read the whole thread.

There's an emotional link between being overly forward verbally and overly forward physically, so you can understand why many women would see that kind of greeting as being a form of harassment, especially if the person saying it has clearly singled YOU out for the comment.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    He then walked closely beside her for several minutes. It isn't illegal but it's seriously creepy.

If anyone walked that close to me, even for 20 seconds, I'd move well away from them, either by stopping or by crossing the street. It's very strange behaviour and almost never occurs naturally / by chance (except during early morning commuter rushes) unless one of the two is deliberately matching pace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Why? We are sexual beings, sexual interaction is natural.

No we are not "sexual beings" we are beings who engage in sex, that sexual interaction has evolved to fit a social structure where we know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behavior otherwise we would still be flinging ****e at each other like all the other primates that we would be more or less like had we not evolved those social interactions. Casual sexual interaction became useless once we evolved the concept (and benefits) of monogamy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Honest question - how does one establish if their comments are undesired?
    'Excuse me, Sir, if I were to complement your physical attributes, would you consider that to be an undesired sexual interaction?'

Presumably, anyone who would be offended by 'Nice ass' would also be offended by asking if it would be okay to compliment them in a sexual fashion.

Why would you think that "complimenting strangers in a sexual fashion" is ok at all?
    Do you compliment random men on the size of their pecs or package, or ask them to give you a smile?

Just stick to greetings, of the type you would apply to any person. Those men in the street do not say "hello gorgeous" to other random dudes that pass them, it's not a normal friendly greeting which is plain to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'll leave it to Mr Cumberbatch
    I find some posters on boards very hostile to women and don't treat them as equals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Zulu wrote: »
    I suspect we are discussing two different topics; you're not seriously suggesting "good morning beautiful" is comparable to me punching you in the face? Are you?

No, it's a metaphorical expression - not mine, but one that's been around a long time - that makes the point that one person's rights end where they directly impact on another's person's rights.

A man has a right to spout shyte. A woman has a right to walk down the road without comment, judgment or intimidation.

Hell, it doesn't even have to sexual in nature to be annoying or scary. If, for every day for one year, I was to jump out at you on your way to work and whisper "Wibbles" in your ear, by the end of the first week, you'd have developed a nervous twitch and be ready to kill me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I've seen this sort of thing occasionally in Ireland, but only on a night out when people are pissed. Have any of you experienced it during the day here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How was the camera which was filming the woman being transported? It looks too stable for someone to have been carrying it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm not a fan of the general it-made-me-feel-bad-so-it-must-be-violence trend but the reality is if yer wan had been accompanied by a man most of those shams would have left well enough alone so that tells you exactly what their mindset is, even if its at a subconscious level

I've seen this sort of thing occasionally in Ireland, but only on a night out when people are pissed. Have any of you experienced it during the day here?

A few stories have been posted of it happening during the day too, for some people time isn't really a concern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

That's what you took from my post?

I guess that just proves my point. Victims everywhere. Life must be horrible for you.
    Life is generally good for me. That doesn't mean that I should be insenstive to the circumstances of other people.

mhge wrote: »
    Why would you think that "complimenting strangers in a sexual fashion" is ok at all?
    Do you compliment random men on the size of their pecs or package, or ask them to give you a smile?

Just stick to greetings, of the type you would apply to any person. Those men in the street do not say "hello gorgeous" to other random dudes that pass them, it's not a normal friendly greeting which is plain to see.

Every girl I've ever dated started off as a stranger to me. At *some* point, someone, needs to indicate a sexual desire - either verbally or physically. And it seems we're moving towards a culture where even verbally expressing an interest is harassment.

I just don't understand how people are meant to interact. Or should we all keep our eyes on our feet?

I would like to ask your permission to compliment you in a sexual manner.

I'm definitely going to say that next time a chat a woman up.

If she declines I'll ask her permission to disparage her in a sexual manner.

Crap, I should have looked at your profile before engaging you in a conversation, Join date 29/10/14...that was convenient

Every girl I've ever dated started off as a stranger to me. At *some* point, someone, needs to indicate a sexual desire - either verbally or physically. And it seems we're moving towards a culture where even verbally expressing an interest is harassment.

I just don't understand how people are meant to interact. Or should we all keep our eyes on our feet?

Social interactions with females are possible without wolf whistling at them and saying "Hey love nice tits", as a matter of fact they will most likely respond better if you totally refrain from that tactic, weird I know but thus is the complexity of the female mind that for some reason they don't like being whistled at or spoken at like they are a dog

Are you *starting* with sexually loaded compliments bulk paid to strangers in public places? Do you press/give abuse if not mutual?

Or do you strike up a normal conversation with a chosen person and later put out feelers where you can reasonably sense some interest back, and withdraw if not mutual?

There's your difference - creeping out vs chatting up....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Men trying to chat up a woman. Mind blowing stuff. That is how human heterosexuals interact with each other. Men learn from an early age that they have to chase women if they want to get anywhere with them.
    I've had women pass comment on my appearance in the past and strangely it seems acceptable for women to walk up and grope men as it is seen as being "harmless" as it's a woman doing the groping.
    Ultimately it comes down to this; some people are @ssholes, male and female.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Duck Soup wrote: »
    If, for every day for one year, I was to jump out at you on your way to work and whisper "Wibbles" in your ear, by the end of the first week, you'd have developed a nervous twitch and be ready to kill me.
    I had to laugh, but seriously, I doubt it. I'd just wear earphones and ignore you (most probably). Essentially the same thing happens me everyday with chuggers "hey/good morning".

...and I'm not crying on the interweb looking for donations. Do they annoy me? Sure. Is it sexual harassment? Certainly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Honest question - how does one establish if their comments are undesired?
    'Excuse me, Sir, if I were to complement your physical attributes, would you consider that to be an undesired sexual interaction?'

If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me?

nullzero wrote: »
    Men trying to chat up a woman. Mind blowing stuff. That is how human heterosexuals interact with each other. Men learn from an early age that they have to chase women if they want to get anywhere with them.
    I've had women pass comment on my appearance in the past and strangely it seems acceptable for women to walk up and grope men as it is seen as being "harmless" as it's a woman doing the groping.
    Ultimately it comes down to this; some people are @ssholes, male and female.

No woman on here has argued that is is acceptable for a woman to grope a man or even to wolf whistle at a man, to me thats just as bad as men wolf whistling at a woman. One thing that really annoys me is when a load of women are out on a hens night and they think it gives them the right to grope random males that they are passing on the street and asking them to give the (soon to be) bride a "snog" because it is her last night as a single woman and it is even worse if it is in a pub or club because they will go around to all the males harassing them for a snog but ignore the ones they deem to be unattractive to the point of even saying right in front of the guy "No not him" and when I see crap like that I imagine that it must be so embarrassing and degrading to the guy to have someone say that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

You're referring the subtle are of flirting. It's possible to have a flirty conversation with a lady without making her feel like she's a piece of meat or that she's just being perved on.

Social interactions with females are possible without wolf whistling at them and saying "Hey love nice tits", as a matter of fact they will most likely respond better if you totally refrain from that tactic, weird I know but thus is the complexity of the female mind that for some reason they don't like being whistled at or spoken at like they are a dog

The vast majority of comments in this video demonstrating sexual harassment faced by women every day included:
    0:15 - How you doing?
    0:21 - What's up beautiful have a good day
    0:23 - Hey what's up girl?
    0:24 - How you doing?
    0:34 - Hey baby
    0:37 - Hey beautiful
    0:39 - How are you this morning?
    0:41 - Have a nice evening
    0:52 - Hello, good morning
    1:13 - How you doing, good?
    1:39 - What's up miss?
    1:41 - How you doing?

It's easy to say, 'Don't talk to women like they are dogs' - but maybe you could give some examples. This video was presented to me as the worst examples of sexual harassment collected after *10 hours* of walking in one of the busiest cities in the world. I'm not sure how you talk to your dog, but I'm at a loss for how to speak to women after seeing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's not nice, it's scary.
    Yes, some of them probably really don't have any ulterior motives and are just trying to be nice, but how do you know which one of them is the one who will turn out to be the nutcase you need to be aware of?

This is just so much misandrous nonsense. S A guy giving a little whistle at an attractive lady and you label it as scary ? And the whole logic is so nonsensical ! Some deranged nutcase is going to whistle at you in front of loads of people just to advertise his intentions ? Give me peace !!

This supposed 'video' is nothing more than yet another extreme feminist, nasty, fabricated story created to attack, insult and knock men.

You're referring the subtle are of flirting. It's possible to have a flirty conversation with a lady without making her feel like she's a piece of meat or that she's just being perved on.

Can you please give me a concrete example. A sample dialogue.

It's easy to say, 'Don't do anything that offends women! Duh!' But I haven't seen any examples of what I can say to a women, to indicate my sexual interest, without risking sexual harassment.

mhge wrote: »
    Are you *starting* with sexually loaded compliments bulk paid to strangers in public places? Do you press/give abuse if not mutual?

Or do you strike up a normal conversation with a chosen person and later put out feelers where you can reasonably sense some interest back, and withdraw if not mutual?

There's your difference - creeping out vs chatting up....

How do you chat up a woman when these phrases are included in the video of sexual harassment that women face daily? How much less offensive can you get than some of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Don't go around gobbing off at women who pass you on the street. Nothing misandrist about it. It's common sense and good manners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Don't go around gobbing off at women who pass you on the street. Nothing misandrist about it. It's common sense and good manners.
    Complete sexist misandry.

As UCDVet said:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I had to laugh, but seriously, I doubt it. I'd just wear earphones and ignore you (most probably). Essentially the same thing happens me everyday with chuggers "hey/good morning".

...and I'm not crying on the interweb looking for donations. Do they annoy me? Sure. Is it sexual harassment? Certainly not.

And living near the south city centre, that's pretty much my experience. I look expectantly at each new stranger about to engage me in conversation and think to myself "Please prove me wrong and be the first stranger in years not about to tap me up for money." And of course they always disappoint me. Chuggers. Beggars. Sponsorships.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that 99% of my unasked-for interactions with strangers is them attempting to syphon my pocket.

Here's the strange thing. After nigh on 18 years of this, I would have no problem with zero tolerance on begging. It's illegal. Throw them in nick for a day. I'd have no problem with chuggers and street entertainers permits being cut down to a handful (I believe new bylaws are coming into effect along these lines anyway) and legal consequences to follow. Which makes me something of a hypocrite for not wanting some kinds of legal safeguard for women who are harrassed.

Am I an intolerant old git, not to want to live and let live? Probably. But I'm also just an old fart who wants to get from A to B without being panhandled.

And that's the bit that seems to have gone missing in many comments here. It's the unrelenting, unthinking, unblinking nature of the interactions - their sheer repetition - that makes them so frustrating.

Can you please give me a concrete example. A sample dialogue.

It's easy to say, 'Don't do anything that offends women! Duh!' But I haven't seen any examples of what I can say to a women, to indicate my sexual interest, without risking sexual harassment.

Ok, a few years ago I was in a taxi queue one evening. It was still light out, as it was early. I was alone and ended up standing beside a guy, also alone, and we simply started chatting. Nothing mad, more about our respective plans for the night, what we studied in college (we were both in college at the time) and general bants. He didn't pry too much, nor did I. We just had a relaxed natter, there was no overt sexual body language, and he didn't get too close.
    When the time came for me to get in my taxi (I'd say it was maybe 20-30mins later-it was Xmas time, so very busy) he asked if I fancied getting a drink sometime. I had just started seeing someone, so politely declined.

And that's that. Nothing sleazy, I was never made feel uncomfortable. He chanced his arm, but was (nicely) shot down.

Ok, a few years ago I was in a taxi queue one evening. It was still light out, as it was early. I was alone and ended up standing beside a guy, also alone, and we simply started chatting. Nothing mad, more about our respective plans for the night, what we studied in college (we were both in college at the time) and general bants. He didn't pry too much, nor did I. We just had a relaxed natter, there was no overt sexual body language, and he didn't get too close.
    When the time came for me to get in my taxi (I'd say it was maybe 20-30mins later-it was Xmas time, so very busy) he asked if I fancied getting a drink sometime. I had just started seeing someone, so politely declined.

And that's that. Nothing sleazy, I was never made feel uncomfortable. He chanced his arm, but was (nicely) shot down.

Whoa - you have to slow it down for me. How did you two 'simply start chatting?'

Plenty of those guys in the video were relaxed, without overt sexual body language, without being too close or even moving towards the girl. And a lot of them just said, 'Hello' or 'How's it going?' or 'How you doing?' I *honestly* can't think of anything less offensive than 'What's up? or 'How's it going?' - and those types of greetings are the BULK of this video demonstrating men sexually harassing women.

I don't want to sexually harass anyone - but I don't see how any guy could talk to any girl without risking it. Or did you talk to him first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

There is nothing wrong with nearly everything that was said to her.

The only thing I would worry about would be the guys who started to follow her... now that is dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ficheall wrote: »
    How was the camera which was filming the woman being transported? It looks too stable for someone to have been carrying it?
    Seems it was in a backpack carried by a person in front, prob in a steadycam harness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Be interesting to know how many men a person could walk past in ten hours of walking in NYC? I'm guessing thousands if not tens of thousands?

How do you chat up a woman when these phrases are included in the video of sexual harassment that women face daily? How much less offensive can you get than some of these?

In my defense I said nothing about the video, I am only answering the question in the OP "So what's peoples thoughts on this? Has any men or women here ever experienced similar?" and in my experience I have had a lot worse things said than those one liners shown in the youtube, as I said earlier Irish guys aren't that bad because it is mostly bravado around their mates, for me Nigerians (and to a very slightly lesser extent Roma males) are much more aggressive. The truth is that for the most part Irish males think they are flirting so even though it may sometimes be offensive it is without their knowledge whereas Nigerians can be downright terrifying. Now you can call me racist for saying that but unless you have been on the receiving end of them making their intentions clear (and they do make it clear) you have no idea how scary it can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

'Hey do you need a foot massage after all that walking?'

• Advertisement

In my defense I said nothing about the video, I am only answering the question in the OP "So what's peoples thoughts on this? Has any men or women here ever experienced similar?" and in my experience I have had a lot worse things said than those one liners shown in the youtube, as I said earlier Irish guys aren't that bad because it is mostly bravado around their mates, for me Nigerians (and to a very slightly lesser extent Roma males) are much more aggressive. The truth is that for the most part Irish males think they are flirting so even though it may sometimes be offensive it is without their knowledge whereas Nigerians can be downright terrifying. Now you can call me racist for saying that but unless you have been on the receiving end of them making their intentions clear (and they do make it clear) you have no idea how scary it can be.

Sorry - no worries. I must admit I didn't read all the posts, I watched the video and then read the last few pages. I think at least some of the disagreement is just people talking at each other, with different things in mind. I took your post in the context of the video and so, we really weren't on the same page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Glad u said it because u have more chance of getting away with it then i do ! :pac:

Whoa - you have to slow it down for me. How did you two 'simply start chatting?'

Ha, I honestly don't remember what he said!

I do think the difference was that we were both stationary, both waiting for taxis. It's a world of difference from shouting at a woman as she walks past, which seems far more aggressive. Initiating conversation with a woman before you hit on her is generally accepted as a more surefire way of striking up flirtation.

I would say all the clips bar the one with the guy walking slilent along side her we completely harmless,he looked menacing to be fair.the rest are just idiots and one or two actually seem completely inoffensive like the guy who said god bless.just another case of Americans blowing **** out of proportion.everything has to be so over the top and dramatic with them.this video has no relevance to Irish society as we interact differently with one another in a social setting.

See some of the guys on here can't empathize because they are thinking of it from the point of view of "If a woman said that to me it wouldn't bother me in the slightest so women are over reacting", so see they are not seeing a threat. It'd be different for them now if they were walking down the side lane of the George some night on their own and there were 6 big gay guys outside and the gay guys started saying "Hey sexy, you're hot" and then maybe 3 of them decide to follow him and 2 flank him while one walks behind and they start "playfully" nudging him and asking "So where are you going tonight? whats your name? whats your number?" and then when he tries to walk away maybe one of them steps in front of him and another "playfully" grabs his arm and he realizes that he is suddenly trapped with his back to a wall and 3 bigger guys surrounding him saying "Hey we just want to chat, there's no need to be rude, we're just saying hello" and realizes just how vulnerable he really is. I'm not saying it would happen or that gay guys are like that (most aren't in my experience) but if it did I can guarantee he wouldn't be standing there thinking "Ahh sure this is just some harmless flirting"

That's a stupid scenario and far removed from any of the incidents in the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Duck Soup wrote: »

Does it require a charity?

If somebody could explain what that charity would do with the money they collect I'd love to hear. Really beyond educating people through social media etc I think it's fair to say that a charity in this field is redundant.

There is a lot to be said for parents educating their children about not being so idiotic as to behave like this, but cultures change only very slowly.

When I teach self-defence to a mixed group I always include the need for men to be aware of their own behaviours when they are near women, especially if they encounter women while out walking. It's a bit creepy for a woman to be followed by a man she does not know, so responsibility for your environment includes the importance of maintaining a respectful distance, and even crossing the road to avoid making her feel uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I would love to know how cash donations to this cause are going to stop random punters blurting out stuff to passers by on the street.

Are they going to fund anti-sleaze vigilante groups that roam around the streets and beat up these guys?

It's disingenous to say it's about the phrase only. It's still bulk chatting up strangers who are simply walking by, sitting near etc. BTW phrases like "hey baby" or "hey beautiful" thrown at strangers are plain disrespectful and creepy. I'm no street creep's baby.

A positive example:
    - look at a woman in a club/pub/cafe
    - if she smiles/returns your gaze say hi
    - if she replies ask if she likes this place
    - take it from there
    - if she's not interested at any stage, drop it there and then

Seriously it's not rocket science... But note how you're checking for her interest before you proceed.

No point in expecting that hitting strangers with your advances is the way to go - they don't owe you any interest or interaction and they may have had multiple experiences where verbal harassment turned into abuse, groping etc. Someone's unwanted advances only add to the pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

You're quoting very selectively there. In the interactions which are shown from 0:15 to 0:19 you only mention the opening line, but neglect to include the things that are called out to the girl as she walks by!

"How you doing today?"
    (She walks by)
    "I guess not good!" (sarcastic)
    (She still does not respond)
    "Smile"
    "Smile" (louder)

How is that not hassling the girl?

At 0:23 again you only give the opening line, but the man actually shouted out a bit more than that:

"Hey what's up girl? How you doing?" and when she does not respond he shouts after her "When somebody's acknowledging you for being beautiful . . you should say thank you more!"

Frankly your reporting of the video leaves a lot to be desired in terms of honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mohawk

Spent a summer in San Francisco a few years back and I couldn't leave the house without men passing comment on how I looked. I used to find it really intimidating when guys would get angry if you ignored them.
    It doesn't happen as much in Ireland thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

mohawk wrote: »
    Spent a summer in San Francisco a few years back and I couldn't leave the house without men passing comment on how I looked. I used to find it really intimidating when guys would get angry if you ignored them.
    It doesn't happen as much in Ireland thankfully.

The 'cold approach' is a lot more common in the US.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement