Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert as a mature student.

Options
  • 29-10-2014 6:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi -not sure how this forum works. I'm thinking of doing Leaving certs for the first time. I'm from the UK,US and Canada currently in Italy..teaching ESL. I'm 42 yrs old-some science in my background but I'll be very rusty. I have uni background but not full undergrad-I was a commercial pilot. I'm hoping to have a chance to get into uni of cork for their 'Science Education Degree' I will need Maths, Physics, Chemistry + Bio. I'm thinking of trying to prep online for Maths now.

It looks like I can take an online course.

Question: Following this thread it looks like I could potentially do Physics, Biology and Chemistry in a year. Are there 1 year Leaving Cert Courses? My family is mainly in the UK. Do A levels transfer over easily?

What's the difference between FETAC and Leaving Cert? LC higher level?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,

You would really need to contact the university for full details on making an application to the course.
    In the Irish system their are some provisions for Mature students (those aged over 23) who may not need to present a leaving cert or FETAC qualification to get a course place. They can be assessed through life or work experience, etc.

As you are currently outside of Ireland you may need to apply directly to the college instead of via CAO. Also your nationality, citizenship and current level of education can have an impact on the funding you may be eligible for. So realistically you should contact the admissions office with your information and let them point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 skywalker27

hi paperclip
    i've been in contact with the uni. it looks fairly straight forward. i'm a UK citzen + in the EU, so I should qualify as EU status + thus tuition. It looks like doing my LC in Maths might be a good place for me to start-there's an online course that's 6-8 months. 400 euros however. See how the distance learning thing goes + sit the exam in Ireland.If all goes well, maybe try to do the other subjects at the same time. I'll need the prep + it'll be worth the year delay for entry. Now to look into free courses+prep...

Dont forget to sort out an exam centre to sit the actual exam. :) AFAIK you can register as an external candidate with any school or adult ed centre that offers the LC. Alternatively the SEC usually set up external candidate centres in Dublin as an alternative. Lots of good info here: https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec

The site will be updated with the 2015 info when it becomes available.

I'll check it out. I'm not sure how far in advance I need to schedule etc. Thanks!

I'll check it out. I'm not sure how far in advance I need to schedule etc. Thanks!

Found the attached doc from the Dept of Ed on external candidates. Might be useful

• Advertisement

Thanks! very helpful. I'm going to try Alison: Project Maths for free online prep. I just checked out the first video. I'll need a book though. Any recommendations? Or maybe you're not familiar with this LC material?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Use khanacademy for learning.its best

Thanks Mandzhalas I checked it out. I'll use both in combo.

The DES has the complete syllabus for all LC subjects on its website:http://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Curriculum-and-Syllabus/Senior-Cycle-/Syllabuses-and-Guidelines/

It would be a good way to keep on track.

Also as regards the placement of the LC relative to other qualifications have a look at the QQI website: http://www.qqi.ie/Pages/National-Framework-of-Qualifications-(NFQ).aspx

Advertisement