Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buried Electric Cable

Options
  • 29-10-2014 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I put a light in my garden shed and ran three core cable from it to the house, I put the cable about 4 inches below the grass to the shed, I only put in a plug in the kitchen when I need the light in the shed, is it ok to bury the three core white cable. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Aerohead wrote: »
    I put a light in my garden shed and ran three core cable from it to the house, I put the cable about 4 inches below the grass to the shed, I only put in a plug in the kitchen when I need the light in the shed, is it ok to bury the three core white cable. Any help appreciated

From your description I am concluding that this is a flex. This is not a suitable cable type unless it has sufficient mechanical protection.
    A steel wired armored cable would normally be used.
    It should be buried at least 3 feet deep.
    Suitable warning tape should be buried over tge cable.
    This is against regulations and is unsafe.
    I would advise that you call an electrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Just listening to the Joe Duffy show and a guy was digging out a bit of land at the back of the house with a small digger when he hit a high voltage cable in the ground and nearly got killed, the cable was only 7 inches below the surface when it should have been 3 to 7 feet deep, the ESB came fixed the cable and sent a bill for 3000 Euro.

My cable is appx 12 feet long going from a shed to a shed. is there a special cable I can buy for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Carefully dig it back up and put a heavy Hydrodare or other flexible hose down to run the cable through. Place a 4 inch plank over it and re-bury it. I'd probably have suggested running it overhead on a steel support cable but if you dug the channel already you should protect it as best you can.

You need to use a weather resistant cable for outdoors and most PVC insulation breaks down with cold and wet - at the very least you need to put the cable into a conduit or replace it with steel wire wrapped cable (€€€)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Aerohead wrote: »
    My cable is appx 12 feet long going from a shed to a shed. is there a special cable I can buy for this

The most suitable cable for this is an SWA (Steel Wire Armoured) cable.
    I would recommend that the cable is at least a 3 x 2.5mm (for the length you require this will not be expensive) possibly larger depending on the load. This cable can be direct buried without the need for conduit or a plank (which is pointless as it will rot quite rapidly if buried). As already stated all cables should be buried to a depth of at least 3 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

On similar topic is it ok to clip swa along a wall to a shed?

• Advertisement

bibibobo wrote: »
    On similar topic is it ok to clip swa along a wall to a shed?

Yes.

Advertisement