Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Bohermore

Options
  • 29-10-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I am currently looking for a place to buy in Galway. I'm a blow in for the last few years so I don't know much outside of salthill where I currently live. I have seen a number of places in Bohermore that are quite reasonably priced but that has raised a flag with me.... Why are they so reasonable? What is this area like? Would you recommend it as a place to live?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a thread in this form somewhere about the ladies of Bohermore.

Also, another one about a house there that looked very cheap compared to on-paper similar places - around 80k was being asked I think. That one in the last few weeks has been gutted, and a lot of the roof removed. Quite a serious refurb going on.

All that said, I'd live in most of the streets / estates there myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

The population of old bohermore is fairly elderly at this stage, this combined with all the new apartments which weren't cheap when sold mean it's not a bad place to live especially considering how close it is to the city. However not sure if is raise children there as there aren't too many amenities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

You need to sit in your car from midnight until 3am on a Saturday night outside the house to see how noisy it can be. I'd never live within 500 metes of a pub. There are lots of pubs in the area so I'd be wary. When I lived in Dublin, I rented a flat near a pub which caused me many sleepless nights

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

ErnieBert wrote: »
    You need to sit in your car from midnight until 3am on a Saturday night outside the house to see how noisy it can be. I'd never live within 500 metes of a pub. There are lots of pubs in the area so I'd be wary. When I lived in Dublin, I rented a flat near a pub which caused me many sleepless nights

What?? There are only two pubs in the whole of Bohermore and one of them is borderline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Nothing wrong with it mostly..bad rep but is only 1 terrace id avoid buying in tbh...

Know the area very well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I liked it when I lived there.

We were right beside the terrace that people report antisocial behaviour about, but there was never any major problem.

We had petty things (okay, you may not view these as petty, but to me it was irritating more than harmful) like coming back from holidays and three ponies running around the carpark of the apartment block after being let in to graze. Some people brought in a huge caravan and tried to live in the carpark (more of a crusty caravan than a luxury one) but they were moved on quickly.

There was never any issue with robberies or cars being damaged or feeling unsafe in the area. It was all grand.

I think the most annoying neighbours we had were the erasmus students who had fires and guitars outside at night. Grr.

That's apartment living though, more than anything to be said about bohermore!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Lived at the top end in Cuirt seoighe for a while and never had any problems but there are parts you would be careful walking past at night and it has had a reputation in the past but not so much now.

A bit off topic but with the amount of property for sale on bohermore I can see it being completely changed in the next 10-15 years, a lot of old half derelict property that will be bought and refurbished or knocked and rebuilt as apartments etc , along the main road section at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 butterscotch88

Hi all,

I'm also thinking of moving to Bohermore area but am not familiar with it. Could anyone be quite specific as to which terraces to avoid?

Advertisement