Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What brought a smile to your face today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I shared a link on my Facebook page, a story of a couple (both men), one of whom died in an accident. The video shows how his partner had no rights after the death, despite their long-term relationship, and wasn't even allowed to attend the funeral.

My mum "liked" it, and it means so much to me. :) She is always so private about her votes, and she's a conservative person in general anyways. I had been putting off phoning her to discuss the issue, but I'm less worried about it now. I'll ring her today, but I think it's going to be a Yes from her. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

In a supermarket queue yesterday, could hear a little fellow asking how to spell 'milk' 'water' etc, and his mother spelling out each word.
    As I was paying, they were behind me, as the mother was unloading the shopping, I saw that the little fellow, at most four or five, had a notebook and pencil, and was earnestly writing down each thing, 'and what else did we get' and earnestly writing it in carefully.

The joy when a child discovers the world of reading and writing, and the little innocent stance, oblivious to the 'aww' smiles from me and the shop assistant.
    It is still making me smile today.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Looking at all the videos, stories, tweets and facebook statuses of everyone going home to vote in the referendum. I can't be there to vote but I'm so happy that people who could did everything in their power to get back! It shows that people really do want equality. No other referendum in recent memory has brought this type of voting power!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

Well we may not have gotten into the eurovision but at least we've got equal rights!! Yay marriage referendum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Seeing my girlfriend's tears of joy this morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Links234 wrote: »

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I hope you guys have all of the love and happiness in the entire world in the future.

I haven't stopped smiling, grinning, laughing and crying today. Never have I felt such a sense of warmth, togetherness and unity between so many people as I have today.

Ireland is now, really and truly, the land of One Hundred Thousand Welcomes. No matter who you are and no matter who you love, Ireland will welcome you.

My faith in the wonderful people of this wonderful country has never been stronger. :)

Ireland has led the way in the most significant advancement in social inclusion and equality since the end of apartheid. This is a day that social historians and socio-cultural anthropologists will be teaching about from this day forward. The whole world is a little freer and more equal because of what Ireland stood up for on Friday, an example to the rest of the world.

A real reason to be proud. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

All of the Yeses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Being able to start my married life knowing that the institution that I have entered into is a truly inclusive one in my home country, the country I live in and the state where I will be honeymooning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Rainbow drinks and fun people. And of course the huge YES!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Links234 wrote: »
    So lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Just saw two hedgehogs outside the front garden. I've never seen one in real life before, as crazy as that might sound and they are not common around where we live. :) Oh, and my brother came back with cool presents from Istanbul. I really want to go to Istanbul after seeing his pictures.....but the hedgehogs win.:P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My grandmother voted yes on Friday, which surprised me because she has a lot of very traditional views.

What really made me smile today was what she posted on Facebook: "Well done to the Irish citizens who voted Yes and thus made us all equal in our own country. The first country to make it very clear by referendum how we feel towards others who are different but valued."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

^^ All of the lovely referendum posts.

I work in foreign news and seeing the international interest in this story over the past week has been absolutely heartening. Being asked about Ireland constantly, "is it really not that conservative anymore? What about the Catholic church? How will people vote?" and being allowed to impart my own experience and background and anecdotes as an Irish person to really change people's perspectives on what they believed Ireland to be.

Seeing the international conversation this big decision that our little isle has provoked - Australia is talking about their same-sex marriage laws, Germany is talking about their same sex marriage laws; some of the biggest leaders on the planet are nodding their heads in praise.

Having an excuse to talk relentlessly, energetically, nauseatingly I'm sure :D about this bloody brilliant country with all its brilliant people that I get to call home. My Galway accent subconsciously ratcheting up a few notches as I feel so Irish, so proud, so close to home just by talking about it.

I'm so proud of not only how we've put ourselves on the map as a progressive and inherently decent country through all of this, but also of the shifting of how we are perceived globally, which has always annoyed and dismayed me throughout my career as a journalist overseas. We are not backwards, bankrupt, powerless and unable to affect change. We kick fcuking ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

having a run on the beach with my best friend, my dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭DunnoKiddo

chatting with a far-away friend :) after a few harsh days

Sitting in a spot I used to go to with my grandparents when I was little. While I was there this little girl about 2 ish walked by with her Grandmother hopping up on the wall to walk and just in general being a cutie. I couldn't help but think 20-odd years ago that was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

My girlfriend collected me from a job interview this morning (didn't go very well :() and had a coffee and chocolate croissant waiting in the car for me.

Then when I got home she told me there was a steak in the fridge and a bottle of wine for later. My utter disappointment at the interview has been somewhat tempered by her awesomeness! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

beks101 wrote: »
    ^^ All of the lovely referendum posts.

I work in foreign news and seeing the international interest in this story over the past week has been absolutely heartening. Being asked about Ireland constantly, "is it really not that conservative anymore? What about the Catholic church? How will people vote?" and being allowed to impart my own experience and background and anecdotes as an Irish person to really change people's perspectives on what they believed Ireland to be.

Seeing the international conversation this big decision that our little isle has provoked - Australia is talking about their same-sex marriage laws, Germany is talking about their same sex marriage laws; some of the biggest leaders on the planet are nodding their heads in praise.

Having an excuse to talk relentlessly, energetically, nauseatingly I'm sure :D about this bloody brilliant country with all its brilliant people that I get to call home. My Galway accent subconsciously ratcheting up a few notches as I feel so Irish, so proud, so close to home just by talking about it.

I'm so proud of not only how we've put ourselves on the map as a progressive and inherently decent country through all of this, but also of the shifting of how we are perceived globally, which has always annoyed and dismayed me throughout my career as a journalist overseas. We are not backwards, bankrupt, powerless and unable to affect change. We kick fcuking ass!

Well said beks!

And what made ME smile just now is hearing that our vote actually DID make an impact on an international level. I've seen media pieces, but to hear it from someone who's actually working in the media abroad, to hear that it was actually an issue that's being discussed all over the world ... it's fantastic, it really is. :)

I'm straight but it means so much to me that I now live in a country where equality is recognised, not just by the government, but by the citizens as well.

Lets hope we start a trend!

• Advertisement

^ Article about the referendum in the newspaper I picked up for my LA to Portland flight yesterday! So proud :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I got randomly headhunted on LinkedIn a few months ago, all of which has resulted in a series of phone conversations, meetings, more phone conversations...and now a job offer.

I already have a great job, but this one is new and exciting and ALL THE MONEH. I haven't figured out what to do yet so am playing hardball a little. It makes me feel like a badass. And is a major confidence boost just when I needed it. Happy dayz ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Ran the women's mini-marathon today. It was an amazing experience, seeing all these fabulous ladies (and a few gents!) running for so many fantastic charities.

So many things made me smile today, mainly the support the participants gave to each other. It just lifted my heart when I got on to the N11 & everyone was cheering on the elite runners who had already run as far as UCD & had turned around for the home stretch. It was just lovely to hear all the cheering for them. No rivalry or jealousy!

I was starting to flag at around 8k & some lovely little kids just stood (in the rain & wind) & high fived me. It gave me the lift I needed & got me to the finish line.

Days like this restore my faith in humanity. Well done to all involved, it really was a privilege to run with you today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Walked/jogged the Mini Marathon today. My 3rd one. I've beaten my first time by around ten minutes I think, will know tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭addicted to caffeine

feeling excited, going to a charity gig function later on :) Live music and drinkies for ATC!

Walked/jogged the Mini Marathon today. My 3rd one. I've beaten my first time by around ten minutes I think, will know tomorrow!
    Forgot to post... My official time was 01:27:07! My first time was 01:40:18 in 2013, last year was around a minute faster. So I've beaten my 2013 time by just over 13 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Realising heaven is a place on earth and how lucky I am. Just brilliant.

Twist again like we did last summer, twist again like we did last year.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I was in a very dark place the last while. I didn't realise how bad until I was out of it.

Please please remember, no matter how hard and dark and no getting put of the place you think it is. It's not. Because people love you hugely. The same people you argue with, love you dearly. And you are so much stronger than you give yourself credit for.

So true, I feel like I have finally come out the other side after a 6 year relationship ended. There were times over the past 2 years when I didn't know how id get through a day, never mind a week. Couldn't even think of what the future would look like. But my nana used to always say "put one foot in front of the other and things will look better" and it's so true. As mad as it sounds, I now have a new found appreciation for life and my incredible family and friends

After serving a small boy today in work, over heard him saying to his mom when leaving "mom that lady is realllyyy nice"

awwwww :D

Sounds daft but I'm wearing a very pretty new dress and it makes me want to twirl. :D

That's not even a little bit daft!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I did it with the last dress I bought. Wanted to twirl that is. I didn't twirl though. I regret it almost as much as I regret not having a full length mirror. I should have twirled. Twirl for me, PP. I believe in you. You can do it.

Now I want chocolate. Damn you Cadbury's delicious marketing.

I twirl when I know nobody can see me.. :p

Smiling like an idiot because I got a reply on twitter from Mark Tremonti, one of my favourite singers/songwriters/guitarists thanking me for listening to his new album!

New job that I'm very happy about, 30°C weather, first picnic of the season today too... Yay!

after years of feeling 'stuck' with writing a book, I'm finally getting somewhere :D getting out of a bad relationship and back into college is the best things I ever did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

On the bus yesterday, a little girl got on with her dad. She was obviously on her way home from playschool/ junior school. Proudly clutched in her little hands was a paper cup, upturned, painted green, and with two little eyes glued on.
    No famous artist has ever carried a great masterpiece with such care as that little offering being carried so tenderly home. So sweet!

First cup of tea and a couple of chocolates back in my own place after my honeymoon :)

Many congratulations RK, wishing you both a long and happy life together. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I twirl when I know nobody can see me.. :p

Smiling like an idiot because I got a reply on twitter from Mark Tremonti, one of my favourite singers/songwriters/guitarists thanking me for listening to his new album!

Love him :)

It's rare that I find someone else in Ireland that knows who I'm on about!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

My sister had an interview a few weeks back for a hair dressing course and it went very well. She received a letter from them to say that she got in :D Absolutely thrilled for her!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

It's rare that I find someone else in Ireland that knows who I'm on about!

Would have to agree with you on that, if I mention Shinedown, Alterbridge or Asking Alexandria and I get looked at like I'm crazy :D

Autosport wrote: »
    Would have to agree with you on that, if I mention Shinedown, Alterbridge or Asking Alexandria and I get looked at like I'm crazy :D

I usually get "Alter Who?" :p

fresh, clean, warm clothes straight from the dryer, bliss! :D

My dog falling asleep lying in the sun. He was loving it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Clean house, clean sheets. :Do Also made it through the first day of the 30 Day Shred - even if it was torture and I thought I might die!

Surprising (and serving)an old man....who was yapping non stop!... at work on his bday, noting major, just a candle on his dessert & sang him happy bday.....when he was leaving he thanked me so much and saying he hadn't a candle for his bday since he was a child! He was so grateful for such a small gesture :)

Also a few other customers went over to hin to wish him a happy bday....It was just lovely I was delighted for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭olive20

Well it made me smile yesterday, watching the hottie next door sunbathing and he gave me a cheeky wave ! Oh to be single ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

olive20 wrote: »
    Well it made me smile yesterday, watching the hottie next door sunbathing and he gave me a cheeky wave ! Oh to be single ;)

Where do ya live?! :P

putting up your feet on a crazy hectic day where you've been going all day, there's no feeling like it :D

seeing someone really cute and thinking to yourself 'hmmm' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Having a Friday and Saturday off!!

Advertisement