Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 seat Alhambra. Opinions please.

• 29-10-2014 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

In the market for a new car next year and looking for a seven seater with a good spec. Auto, leather, nav, xenon lights.
    Mainly considering a bmw x5 or a volvo xc90 but now am thinking a high spec seat Alhambra would do the job and save me money too.
    Price wise the seat would be about 51k versus low 70's for the other two.
    Now I know they are probably not considered competitors normally but image doesn't really bother me but I do want a car with a quality feel that can occasionally carry seven for short trips.
    I can afford the more expensive cars but have no desire to spend for the sake of it.
    I am concerned however that in 3 or 4 years the money I save now will have evaporated. In other words would a high spec seat have depreciated by a greater amount than the 20 thousand differential.
    Road tax is the same on all cars and servicing is included on the seat and bmw.
    My initial thought was 50k for a Seat is too much but it looks a solid car( not pretty though) and is really a vw so quality ok I think.
    What are people's opinions on these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is also the VW Sharan to consider.

50k seems a tad pricey.

If you'd get away with a 7 seat jeepy thing, do you really need the space of a full size 7 seater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

VW have discontinued the Sharan in Ireland, I suppose to push the Alhambra which is the same thing and largely sold by the same dealers.
    The two extra seats are mainly for kids and short journeys but I can't think of any other cars that fit thr bill.
    Already have high spec Ford S max auto and don't want another one or a French car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What about an X-trail (I know its kinda French)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

New Land Rover Discovery Sport? I don't think pricing has been released yet but €50k should get a nice spec. Should be a sounder investment and a nicer place to be than a €50k Seat people carrier. I'd also consider the new X-Trail as suggested. Reasonable value and should hold its value well.

I test drove an x trail and wasn't impressed with the engine.The interior plastics aren't great and the second row seats were not wide enough for three comfortably. The dealer had no auto but it is a cvt gearbox and he said while it is ok in a Qashqa, he wouldn't be that confident in a car the size/weight of the x trail.
    The discovery sport is initially being released with a 2.2 engine that is due to be obselete later in the year. It has high emissions and poor economy figures.
    The new engines will probably be a lot better but may not be here until late 2015 making it a 2016 model. Would be worried about Land Rover reliability too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I was in a Nissan dealership there last week talking to one of the salesmen I know and he said that if you order a x-trail today you'd be lucky to see it by April-may. There's apparently a European shortage of them I think it's to do with an engine shortage. Now granted if you buy one that's in stock you won't have that problem at all but I think even the stock levels are fairly low that particular garage had one in the showroom and he said when that's sold good look getting one. I should mention it was just a chat he knows we have no intention of buying one so it's not like he was trying to scare us into buying one.

Yes it was about 6 weeks ago when I test drove and the dealer said 3 months wait for an Xtrail if I ordered one, and could be longer. They are loaded with kit I must say but it wasn't for me.

Hyundai Santa Fe? Good warranty and should be reliable. €47k for the Executive Auto is not cheap but it is nice. Personally I think it's mad to spend €51k on a Seat or any people carrier of that ilk.

I looked at Santa fe too. The top spec is strange in Ireland for the money.
    No parking sensors,xenons available even as options and in auto spec I think road tax 750. Interior wise again I think it feels cheap for the price.
    It is a good looking car unlike the Alhambra and I too wonder at 50 grand for a Seat but it is well made and equipped at this money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

carsfan wrote: »
    In the market for a new car next year and looking for a seven seater with a good spec. Auto, leather, nav, xenon lights.
    Mainly considering a bmw x5 or a volvo xc90 but now am thinking a high spec seat Alhambra would do the job and save me money too.
    Price wise the seat would be about 51k versus low 70's for the other two.
    Now I know they are probably not considered competitors normally but image doesn't really bother me but I do want a car with a quality feel that can occasionally carry seven for short trips.
    I can afford the more expensive cars but have no desire to spend for the sake of it.
    I am concerned however that in 3 or 4 years the money I save now will have evaporated. In other words would a high spec seat have depreciated by a greater amount than the 20 thousand differential.
    Road tax is the same on all cars and servicing is included on the seat and bmw.
    My initial thought was 50k for a Seat is too much but it looks a solid car( not pretty though) and is really a vw so quality ok I think.
    What are people's opinions on these?

Your instincts are correct and you shouldn't ignore them.

Unless you are minted, it's madness buying a new car.

Paying that sort of money for a Seat is hard to justify. Either buy a good used Alhambra or buy a used VW Sharan on the grounds that it will probably depreciate less steeply than a new or used Alhambra.

Residuals in the UK do not look pretty:
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/seat/alhambra/estate/buying-selling/

• Advertisement

Find me a car less than a year old in Ireland with the spec I want!
    I can't. I don't want to go to Uk as I have a trade in to get rid of and would prefer to buy an irish car if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

Find me a car less than a year old in Ireland with the spec I want!
    I can't. I don't want to go to Uk as I have a trade in to get rid of and would prefer to buy an irish car if possible.

Why not go for a used XC90 or E70 X5 with 7 seats?

The xc90 is like a car from another era on the inside( which in fairness it is) so wouldn't want one but a used x5 is not a bad idea but I would probably look for a used one of the current generation.
    I tend to like the security of a new car warranty however.
    I think judging from the few responses nobody is saying buy the Alhambra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

The xc90 is like a car from another era on the inside( which in fairness it is) so wouldn't want one but a used x5 is not a bad idea but I would probably look for a used one of the current generation.
    I tend to like the security of a new car warranty however.
    I think judging from the few responses nobody is saying buy the Alhambra.

BUt they are not the ones spending the money. YOu are. I cant say for the new model, but the old model I drove was a nice able car.

A friend of mine had the x5, he couldnt wait to get rid of it. Too much electrical gremlins. Buzzers going off every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I was in Spain recently and booked a Passat rental car. When I got there I was 'upgraded' to the Seat.

Bleeding fantastic family wagon. Large, comfortable and great to drive , loads of toys too actually . I have also driven a Ford Galaxy recently but the Seat was in another class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Slightly left field.
    But the much maligned Skoda Roomster will be relaunched next year based on the VW Touran.

It should be Skoda's first 7 seater & probably slightly cheaper than its VW cousin.

The new Kia looks interesting.
    My instincts tell me however a 1 year old X5 might be a better bet in the longer term as it would give me quality feel and equipment, would have a warranty and should hold some value.
    An alhambra drove against me today in town and I couldn't help thinking it was pretty ugly and utilitarian looking.

That new Kia looks way nicer than the current model but if I could afford a 1 year old X5 I know which one I'd rather have. Either way it's a nice problem to have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

My sister went from an x5 to an Alhambra this year due to the x5 not being able to take 3 baby seats. She loves the Alhambra, I can't remember the trim level, but it is really well equipped (leather, cameras, sat nav, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What about the Opel Zafira Tourer. Its a full 7 seater is good to drive looks good and has a classy interior too. Id say its around the same size as the S-Max. Have seen a few around they are a good looking car.
    Why do you not want another S-Max? Is it because of the car or the dealer not being good? There is a new one on the way next year it has that big Aston like grille on the front that the latest Fiesta and Focus have. I think the current car looks better myself but maybe some pople will think the new one is better looking. Think Ford are trying to make all there cars a look a bit classier.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Opel Zafira tourer is a good looking car alright but tends to be sold more as lower spec car.It's a little smaller than the S max. I visited the dealer and a few weeks later I'm still waiting for the phone call re. prices that he promised me...
    You would think when you're trying to sell something you could do this at least but it wouldn't be the first time this has happened to me with a car dealer. I found it poor enough inside but it was a low spec model I was in, and if the dealer doesn't try to hard to sell what would customer care be like if I have problems?
    I don't want another S max as we have had two and have had loads of warranty issues and days off the road with the current one. I had thought of waiting to see what the new one is like but it will not be here until June/July and I don't fancy being the owner of some of the first ones off the production line based on our recent experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Opel Zafira tourer is a good looking car alright but tends to be sold more as lower spec car.It's a little smaller than the S max. I visited the dealer and a few weeks later I'm still waiting for the phone call re. prices that he promised me...

That a pity alright. Does not sound like a very good saleman.

You would think when you're trying to sell something you could do this at least but it wouldn't be the first time this has happened to me with a car dealer. I found it poor enough inside but it was a low spec model I was in, and if the dealer doesn't try to hard to sell what would customer care be like if I have problems?
    Yes good point indeed. Any point in trying another Opel dealer?

I don't want another S max as we have had two and have had loads of warranty issues and days off the road with the current one. I had thought of waiting to see what the new one is like but it will not be here until June/July and I don't fancy being the owner of some of the first ones off the production line based on our recent experiences.

Aww ok. Maybe the new one will be better but your right the first ones are most likely to have some small issues like a lot of new car models when they are first released.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Im not close to the market prices for them, but I dont think youll get a year old X5 for circa 50k & would probably be doing well to get a 2013 in Jan. Also if you go that route, you'll end up with whatever is left of the original warranty- probably just one year. With shocking reliability of many BMW's discussed on recent threads, I'd be only buying one with a long warranty.

The Seat is a great car and a high spec will be sought after used and the high spec will be worth 5k of the extra 10k purpose price over a 115bhp, after about 3/4 years but will be a much nicer car to enjoy over the next few years. Seat are running 1.51% APR at the moment so if you were considering finance from a bank etc, this low interest will save you a few grand. I've never priced one but my guess is they will give a 3k+ discount

I'd check out the new Sorento as an option but it wont have 3 isofix in the middle row if this is important to you

I know I won't get a one year old X5 for 50k, I would buy new or used but I'm wodering if the Alhambra is a good buy.
    I think it is ugly and wonder if I would hate it after a short while and still think 50k for a seat is a big ask.

How about an E Class estate? Don't know much about them but they look well equipped and have plenty of class for the money. Not sure if they are all 7 seaters though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e-class-300-bluetec-hybri/7790211

Drove the e class and it is very nice but has a big transmission tunnel and hump in the middle of the rear bench seat. Also when kids are in the third row there is really no space for storage at all.
    It seems I am writing off all suggestions but thanks for input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Had a deposit on an SE Model with SatNav in the UK. Really liked the car, then the whammy, page 59/60 of the manual, 'it is not permissible to useany child restraint system, even with a 3 point seat belt on the middle seat of the second row' not even a booster seat. I clarified this with Opel and Vauxhall, as to why, the lady just said she assumed it didn't do well in testing, but you most definitely should not use any type. Amazing for an MPV.

Anyhow, I like you got zero calls back from three Opel dealers, the cynic might say, that could be the reason, all knew I had two child seats and one high back booster.

Did you go for the Seat, from what I can see they hold their value, serious money even for a few years old, UK and Ireland. In the end I went for the face lifted 5008, in the automatic, Missus loves it.

I went with BMW x5 7 seater in the end as my kids are out of boosters and we just need the 7 seats for friends/ short trips etc.
    The Alhambra se model was a 15 week wait with a possible further 3 to 4 weeks due to an alloy wheel delay at the factory apparently. This meant no car until April/May which was too far away for me. It's a good car alright but a bit utilitarian even in high spec.

• Advertisement
Advertisement