Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happened to Rancheros?

• 29-10-2014 3:41pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a 6-pack of Rancheros at the week-end.

First time in years that I've had them... Maybe it's my memory being a bit weird , but these "new" Rancheros didn't taste anything like I remember..

They just seem to have way less flavour , they've lost their "Ranchero-ness"- With the old Rancheros , you ate them on a Monday then if you belched on a Thursday you'd still taste them !!

I was very disappointed that they've changed so much..just very bland now...

Anyone else notice this , or indeed any other childhood sweets/snacks that are around today that they've "improved" (or ruined!!) since you first tasted them??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

They did worse with SNAX :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I blame Jamie Oliver and his healthy food crap.

Meanies are ****e too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Skips are still just as nice. Burger bites are healthier because they're baked, but they feel drier.

To answer the OP, I didn't notice much difference with the Rancheros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Seen the size of Mars bars these days. Were they bigger in the past or were my hands smaller, I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pretty much all crisps are gone to ****.

That's what happens when you can't put cancer in anymore.:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

New rancheros ain't what they used to be.

It isn't false nostalgia, they are genuinely worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Monster Munch are pure s***e now as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Seen the size of Mars bars these days. Were they bigger in the past or were my hands smaller, I dunno.

All chocolates are getting smaller..

Read an article recently (Pricewatch in the Irish Times I think) where Cadbury and others were saying that they'd shrunk the package sizes to keep the prices the same...

Still a bit sneaky though.... The Christmas box of Roses is getting smaller every year too... Used to be 1kg , then 950g and so on... This years one has started to appear in the shops in the last few weeks - 780g now!

I mean , How many less Brazilian Darkness in the box does that mean?

Not cool!

The Christmas confectionery is absolutely ridiculous. Really hits home when ya come across an old tin from a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Chickatees have been ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

at least Rancheros taste vaguely like Rancheros used to

Snax on the other hand dont even taste like crisps anymore

Saipanne wrote: »
    Chickatees have been ruined.

True,they used to be a very important staple in many a scumbags diet. Suprised they haven't been up in arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    First time in years that I've had them...

There's your problem.

You're now a grown up, and your grown up palate is grown up too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

True,they used to be a very important staple in many a scumbags diet. Suprised they haven't been up in arms.

That was the great thing about them- For days after you ate them, if you put your fingers in your mouth....there they were , Chickatees!!!!!

That could keep you going for ages!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

If I had a time machine I would go back and get all my favorite crisps.

Banshee bones, space raiders, funyuns, meanies and all the other crisps from my childhood which are now baked :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

If I had a time machine I would go back and get all my favorite crisps.

Banshee bones, space raiders, funyuns, meanies and all the other crisps from my childhood which are now baked :(

And monster munch, before they made an absolute balls of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

The Christmas confectionery is absolutely ridiculous. Really hits home when ya come across an old tin from a few years ago.

still have one of the old roses tin's,

penguins have gotten remarkably small. used to love the chocolate cream inside them too but now they have ruined that,

luckily (or unluckily depends on your outlook at sweets) for me, my aunt is over and back from the states often enough so she gets me nerds/tic tac's/sour jellies from over there that still taste delicious and full of e's,

also american chocolate tastes horrible, i had heard great things about Hersey's kisses, and i swear chocolate gems circa 1999 taste better!

endacl wrote: »
    There's your problem.

You're now a grown up, and your grown up palate is grown up too.

Nah.. That covers Broccoli , hated it as a kid , like it now...

Rancheros on the other hand.....It's the lack of after-taste that's the change...

They taste like Rancheros , but with the flavour dialled down massively...

It's like Rancheros-lite.... Just not right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Rancheros had a "NEW AND IMPROVED FLAVOUR" brought in a good while back.

Do Perry crisps still exist? The basic cheese and onion, salt and vinegar, etc ones?

RE: the Christmas tins, the roses ones are a bit laughable at this stage, used to be a nice round tub then they started narrowing the base. They've narrowed the base so far now that the angle of the edges has gone as far as it can go before looking awful, so they've redesigned the shape to give the illusion of a wider base. I'd pay an extra 3 euro for one that doesn't look like ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Anytime I see a 'new and improved' flavour sticker, causes me to scoff! Chickatees are like a bag of air, barely a crisp anymore.

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    Anytime I see a 'new and improved' flavour sticker, causes me to scoff! .

that or "suger free" on sweets!?!? if i wanted sugar free i'd eat eggs!

hoodwinked wrote: »

penguins have gotten remarkably small. used to love the chocolate cream inside them too but now they have ruined that,

luckily (or unluckily depends on your outlook at sweets) for me, my aunt is over and back from the states often enough so she gets me nerds/tic tac's/sour jellies from over there that still taste delicious and full of e's,

also american chocolate tastes horrible, i had heard great things about Hersey's kisses, and i swear chocolate gems circa 1999 taste better!

Oh yeah.. American chocolate is rank.....gritty or something...

Having said that , they still do full on Crisps - Frito's are a great alternative to Rancheros.. They still have that great after-taste...

Check out a Frito Pie - Oh my God... Not for the faint hearted... But amazing once in a very long while!

I always thought Banshee Bones were the knacker crisp gold standard

I always thought Banshee Bones were the knacker crisp gold standard

nope they were for if you didn't want to feel your lips for a few hours, the sting off the salt and vinegar used last for ages! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

nope they were for if you didn't want to feel your lips for a few hours, the sting off the salt and vinegar used last for ages! :D

And that's the way I liked em'!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yeah? What's your aunt's number.....can she pick me up some stuff?

Do they still make Burger bites?

Chipstix used to be like that too...but again..not anymore...

They've just weakened/softened the flavours on everything it seems...

Crisps/Sweets are not meant to be healthy , they're supposed to be bad for you - but they are supposed to taste great...

Now , they're "healthier" , but taste crap.......

Defeats the bloody purpose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Penguin bars, they ain't what they used to be. Once a staple of the Irish childhood, now just pure muck and long forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Do they still make Burger bites?

ive seen multipacks in dunnes/Tesco's recently, don't know about single packs.

Penguins, they ain't what they used to be. Once a staple of the Irish childhood, now just pure muck and long forgotten.

Even the jokes are crap! Now they give facts sometimes,what fun are facts?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Hot lips are another one that recently lost their flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Bring back Krunchos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Even the jokes are crap! Now they give facts sometimes,what fun are facts?!

It was with unbridled joy that we would read the jokes, even if sometimes they were a bit cheesy. Facts, jesus what's the world come too :(

does anyone remember Viking crisps.? they were one of the old 10p crisps years ago, salt and vinegar flavour

• Advertisement

messrs wrote: »
    does anyone remember Viking crisps.? they were one of the old 10p crisps years ago, salt and vinegar flavour

Were they the ones that came in either red packs or the green packs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

They have all gone to crap over the last few years but SNAX are the worst by far!

Smarties have recently been absolutely shafted too... Yuck!

It was with unbridled joy that we would read the jokes, even if sometimes they were a bit cheesy. Facts, jesus what's the world come too :(

How does a penguin build its house?
    Igloos it together

Were they the ones that came in either red packs or the green packs?

no they were in a light blue packet, the shape of the crisp was like the shape of meanies but they were salt and vinegar flavoured

i think we should be grateful, at least they left bacon fries alone!

actually had a packet of kp mini chips recently, they taste good, but again the flavouring does not numb the lips as they used to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

They have changed HotLips but I actually prefer them now..the bags are bigger and the flavour is nicer.

KP Mini Chips are still fantastic. I bulk buy 'em when I see them.

Anyone remember Screaming Green Mummies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

fussyonion wrote: »
    They have changed HotLips but I actually prefer them now..the bags are bigger and the flavour is nicer.
    The bags have been huge for ages. Definitely less flavour off them than there was 6 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have not seen them in years

Im the same with Mini Chips, although I think its hard to find shops that stock them

Anyone remember Screaming Green Mummies?

I had forgotten about these till you said it now, yes the were delish!! used to love them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Nope, your hands are the same size.

2008 - Mars bar weighed in at 62.5g. Fast-forward 6 yrs and they have shaved it to a measly 51g. They are saying that the main drive behind this was to have all bars capped at 250calories. Utter BS.

If you want to see a reduction in size though, just check out the Macaroon bars. The feckers have the gall to keep them packaged in what I guess were close to the original sized wrappers. Next time you see one, pick it up and just have a look at the excess wrapping. Its comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think the foil bags are to blame.

They also need to bring back curry chips, cheezels, and especially Bikers...the out of date packet I ate the other day after I found them in the press has given me a hankering.

dodzy wrote: »
    Nope, your hands are the same size.

2008 - Mars bar weighed in at 62.5g. Fast-forward 6 yrs and they have shaved it to a measly 51g. They are saying that the main drive behind this was to have all bars capped at 250calories. Utter BS.

If you want to see a reduction in size though, just check out the Macaroon bars. The feckers have the gall to keep them packaged in what I guess were close to the original sized wrappers. Next time you see one, pick it up and just have a look at the excess wrapping. Its comical.

Don't get me started on the empty packaging thing!!

Open a bag of sweets and you realise that 2/3rds of the bag was just air!!!

My favourite bagged sweets are Iced Caramels - Used to be the big treat going to the Cinema as a kid...

These days though , not only is the bag mostly full of air the actual sweets are about half the size they were.. They're like caramel after eights these days!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Kit Kats changed too when they move from the foil bag to the plastic wrapping. Even now when you have the smaller multipack Kit Kat's they're nicer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement