Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Flat not furnished as agreed in Lease

Options
  • 29-10-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

So I have moved into a new flat, that is missing a bed which is kinda fundamental IMO. Anyway when I viewed the place last week the letting agent was certain that the bed will be delivered yesterday on the day I was planning on moving in.

However no bed is here, they didn't order it until yesterday night and I am not going to have one until Friday now.

Do I have any rights to ask for money off the rent for this week since I paid for a fully furnished apartment and not sleeping on the sofa?

Thanks

Ewan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

For the sake of 2 nights? Really? People make mistakes, I'd let this one go.

Just hold them to the Friday deadline and if they miss that then drop the rent reduction line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I wouldn't make a fuss out of it for the sake of a few nights. Provided it's delivered when they've promised, forget about it. A few nights on the couch won't kill you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Same happened to me in the last place I rented. The LL just messed up and had no mattress for two nights. It wasn't intentional and I just left it. No point starting off on the wrong foot with the LL.

There will be those that say that a relationship does not matter. That it is purely business. But in my experience, a cordial relationship with the LL always helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

As a renter, I would put it in writing, date it send it to then and kep a copy. You may find further down the line you have other problems and if you had to take a case to the PRTB, you will have proof of delays in rectifying problems from the start of the lease. However, as someone has said, it's not the end of the world, a few night on the couch and you can look forward to (hopefully) a brand new bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do I have any rights to ask for money off the rent for this week since I paid for a fully furnished apartment and not sleeping on the sofa?
    Depending on the agency, complaining may get you a dingy bed from another apartment which is not being used. In saying that, I do wonder where it'd be coming from. Perhaps ask the agency where the bed is coming from, but only after checking ALL of the things, such as shower, hoover, cooker, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement