Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco want my card details?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

I did some online shopping with tesco.ie and had an email voucher code for €7.50 which I added at the checkout stage. This voucher appears in the order confirmation but was not applied in the store meaning I have been overcharged by that amount.

I emailed tesco with the full details and just now got a phone call from someone claiming to be from tescos with a private number asking me to give them my credit card details or they won't refund my account.

With Al the refunds I have got from tescos over the years I have never been asked to give my bank details over the phone. Sounds like a dangerous scam.

has anyone had something similar happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Have you phone tesco customer service and asked if it was legit? I would never give any details to somebody who phoned me. I would always phone them back on their main number. though presumably if you paid by credit card i cant see why they cant just refund the money to the same card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

They do call from a private number. The reason they need your details is that they don't store them after use.

Just call them back on their customer services number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

How will they refund you if they don't have your card number?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,052 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have the transaction IDs cached from the original order and should be able to reverse to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

MYOB wrote: »
    They have the transaction IDs cached from the original order and should be able to reverse to that.

From having the same experience with tesco they do ask for the number again. Most of the time it gets wiped off the system for data protection.

Or use the voucher next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

So you sent an email and then a little while later you got a phone call in reference to your email?

And you wonder is it a scam??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

delahuntv wrote: »
    So you sent an email and then a little while later you got a phone call in reference to your email?

thats probably a fair point but i still wouldnt give my details out to somebody who called me. I would always call them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Banks even warn people not to give out such details to anyone who phones you. Someone like Tesco should know this and probably not even ask in such a manner. So it's a valid thought that it could be a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

We process credit card payments where I work, and can do refunds by reversing the original transaction, either refunding in full or partially. We don't need to request the details again, we just have to find it in the daily transaction log, which saves the cardholder name and last 4 digits.

That's not to say that this is a scam, but an unusual business practice if it is Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think it's an unusual business practice, every refund I've ever got by card I had to supply my card details.

Also, with Tesco online you have the choice of allowing Tesco to store your card details for future use, it's a little box in there somewhere you can tick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

delahuntv wrote: »

I got a call from a private number so it could have been anyone!
    They have refunded me different amounts loads of times before without ever having to get my card number again!

The recent revelations about the fraud squad being called in to tescos in the UK is a little worrying so I do not want them storing my card details for later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I got a call from a private number so it could have been anyone!

They have refunded me different amounts loads of times before without ever having to get my card number again!

The recent revelations about the fraud squad being called in to tescos in the UK is a little worrying so I do not want them storing my card details for later.

In fairness the fraud squad are investigating accounting issues and disclosures to the stock market and not defrauding of customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

foggy_lad wrote: »

Can you not see the contradiction between these two statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,052 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can you not see the contradiction between these two statements?

As said already, you can refund via the payment processor without the card number

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If it's the home shopping help desk doing the refund, they don't need your card number, but I'd is the store doing the refund then they do need your details as they have no access to your details.

The offer was probably charged to the store, so the help desk feels the store needs to honor it. Ask for the help desk to do the refund in stead.I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

why not ask for a new voucher?

Advertisement