Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance - Accidental Damage - What's involved in a claim?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Have laptop that fell off the arm of the chair and it's smashed (effectively), wont work, can you please advise how the insurer sorts out the claim for me, will they need the laptop back to them or how does it all work? I have an excess on the policy of 250.00 euro and the laptop is 5/6 years old. It's hardly replacement for new on a policy is it? I cannot see where it might be on the policy document.

Never had a claim on a policy in my life before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

honestly its not worth claiming for.

250 excess plus increased premiums for a 5/6 year old notebook you could easily replace for the excess yourself.

i wouldnt claim if I were you. its going to cost your more long term than its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

There's a dell Inspiron 15 laptop on the Bargain Alerts forum for €229.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057316145

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tks, but who determines value as at today for the laptop, it was top end about 6 years ago and cost around 1600.00? how do Ins co value it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

vicwatson wrote: »
    Tks, but who determines value as at today for the laptop, it was top end about 6 years ago and cost around 1600.00? how do Ins co value it?

Even a generous (and completely unrealistic) depreciation policy would put the value of a 6 year old laptop at no more than 25% of the purchase price. That means it's worth €400. Take away the €250 excess and you get a cheque for €150.

You will pay that back in the first year alone when your renewal goes through the roof and you needn't bother shopping around for a better quote because nobody will quote you with a recent claim on your record.

It's definitely not worth claiming. More likely they'll say it's worth €300 and give you €50 which would be a seriously negative transaction for you.

Advertisement