Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading phone; a quick and probably n00b question

Options
  • 29-10-2014 5:32pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads and lasses,

Upgrading a phone here for my brother. Wanted to check something which I think I know the answer to but just wanted confirmation, rather than bulling ahead and screwing it up.

He's upgrading to an iPhone 5S which also means he's also upgrading his bill at the moment. There's multiple options. Some offer "4G-Ready", others don't. They all offer various data packages.

I don't NEED to get the 4G stuff to get online without a wifi connection, right? Like, if he's just out and about and doesn't have a wifi connection, he can connect to the net anyway (and use up the data before getting charged for going over the limit), right? And then if there's a wifi connection, grand, he can log on as normal. But just wanted to make sure if we go for the cheaper option without "4G-Ready", he's not going to have something which can't access the net on the go.

Is 4G just a faster connection with a higher data plan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Correct, a 4G offer is not required (and the only benefit of 4G compared to 3G indeed is faster internet - but internet sill works with 3G).

Just make sure the plans includes internet access and the data allowance is appropriate for his needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

4G is just faster 3G, if you don't need ultrafast download speeds out and about on normal mobile coverage, then stick with the normal plan.

They reduce the download allowance on 4G (silly really since you can reach it a lot faster) so in your case, you should be fine. What network you going with?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thanks guys :)
    advertsfox wrote: »
    What network you going with?

Vodafone. Been with them for forever with minimal hassle so was sticking with them.

Advertisement