Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Minding Query

Options
  • 29-10-2014 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Just a quick query in relation to childminding costs.

My younger sister (along with her 9yr old son) is currently living at home with our folks in order to save for her house deposit. She has always worked and pays her way €80 per week and also pays bills.

Our older sister who hasn't worked in years and has one son (also aged 9 and in same class as his cousin) has helped my younger sister in terms of dropping both of the kids to school and picks them up too. Our mother is the one who sorts the meals etc.... For which they are very grateful I'm sure. My younger sister is pretty much the one who collects for the bills and makes sure they are all paid for my parents often causing conflict with our older sister who is sometimes short.

I should also mention my younger sister thinks nothing of minding our older sisters kids when she heads off to her boyfriends most weekends.

The issue is, my younger sister started a new job last week involving extra hours (8am-5pm) and our older sister is seeking €200 per month to continue giving him a lift. Bare in mind, this is also her child's home but she is being asked to pay €50 per week for the task of driving her kid about 100 yards, a journey she is making anyway (both lads are in the same class).

She doesn't cook for them, she will no doubt spend most of her time in her room between 3.30 and 5 when the kids come home leaving our own mum (the kids grandmother) to feed them or entertain them.

It pains me to say it, but our older sister has zero interest in working and the cynic in me says she sees an opportunity to make easy money. I know childcare is expensive but she already paying our own mother a decent amount and it will be her who does the majority of the minding whereas our sister does the very short school run.

Am I being unfair? Is €50 per week fair? My younger sister isn't on great money and hate seeing people take advantage of her hard working nature knowing she has a few quid. The kid lives in the house anyway, it's not like he is being dropped to our sisters. She lives there aswell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I see no reason why a nine-year-old can't walk 100 yards to school on his own, thus avoiding this whole conflict? Or even better, you could suggest that the two nine-year-olds walk to and from school together - give them that bit of independence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Pay the sister the 50 quid for the lift to school no problem.
    At the weekend charge her 100 to mind her kid when she is visiting her boyfriend.
    Profit.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Pay the sister the 50 quid for the lift to school no problem.
    At the weekend charge her 100 to mind her kid when she is visiting her boyfriend.
    Profit.

Absolutely. And I'd charge the full going rate too!

I would concede that giving a bit of petrol money would be acceptable, but for that distance, x2 trips, its about €5 a week, no more than €10.

Advertisement