Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone required for apartment pedestrian gate!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My understanding is that the call to the gate is free of charge.
    Perhaps free from a landline, but would the mobile operator charge you, for use of their line?
    enda1 wrote: »
    Sounds a lot more convenient than relying on a charged phone and a number being registered. Keys work even without electricity.
    Keys can be copied easy enough.

=-=

The phone thing sounds like a good idea, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

the_syco wrote: »
    Perhaps free from a landline, but would the mobile operator charge you, for use of their line?

No, because the call is never answered. It rings and then disconnects. If the incoming number is recognised by the system, the gate opens. If not, the gate stays closed. No actual call is connected. So, if you have your number set to private and not display, the gate won't open either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ted1 wrote: »
    Why the need for gates ?
    While there is a fair argument that gates are overkill in security terms - clearly there are estates all over the country that get along just fine without them - there are also plenty of valid reasons to gates.

Especially in the case of single developments containing a lot of apartments, underground car park, etc, the nature of these developments means that the access roads and out buildings are extremely secluded and quiet.
    This makes them a magnet for fly-tipping, people using the place for park-and-ride, and anti-social behaviour in general.
    Because the roads are privately owned, combatting tipping and parking is difficult and expensive.

So it can work out more cost effective to simply put gates up to combat both of these, and you also the get to beat a certain amount of anti-social behaviour with the same action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Why the need for gates ?
    I know someone who discovered there were a group of heroin addicts squatting in a dark corner of the car park of their complex. Having a reasonable barrier preventing entry prevents the majority of the problems that could otherwise be occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why the need for gates ?
    As well as those listed above, it helps keep the underground carpark a bit safer. Some complexes that have underground carparks that are unused, as cars were set on fire and/or otherwise vandalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Paulw wrote: »
    Why the need for a front door on your house?

To keep the heat in.

I really don't see what benefit they offer, they cost a fortune to maintain. There's plenty of estates without gates and they get by just fine., from the responses above the concencous is that.
    1.) places without underground car parks don't need them.
    2.) clampers don't work. As they can look after the issue of non residents parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What happens if I'm driving aren't there legal implications to using a car behind the wheel?

Classic post :D

But I'm sure you mean: What happens if I'm driving aren't there legal implications to using a phone behind the wheel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

What happens if I'm driving aren't there legal implications to using a car behind the wheel?
    This one is actually quite interesting. Even if you're on a private driveway approaching the gate it's technically in a publicly accessible place which is how the courts seem to have been interpreting the legislation for private property.

Advertisement