Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 October - Finally got out - M33

Options
  • 29-10-2014 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Finally, managed to get out for a session. Polar aligned fairly quickly, got goto alignmemt fairly spot on. Didnt bother hooking the mount up to the laptop,but I did run the Canon from the laptop, using APT. That way I could just schedule in what exposures, how many, what ISO, etc, fairly handy program.

Most of the night was spent on M33, using a Canon 1000D, through a Skywatcher 80ED DS Pro, mounted on a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Mount.
    This is the result of 32x75s subs, stacked in DSS, processed in PS by a good friend, Dave Connolly Photography (defo not me). Its the full frame, no cropping, no flatteners, no reducers.

M33Redone_zps0b840753.jpg

I also wanted to try out a Canon 70-300 lens just to see what it could do. Early in the night, I went for Orions Belt and Nebula. I only managed a few shots before it went in behind some trees.
    Here's a single 120 second shot. Not too happy with all the CA, and coma, but sure it was a first shot with the lens.

Orion70300120s1600jpg_zps9b237405.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Kersh wrote: »
    Finally, managed to get out for a session. Polar aligned fairly quickly, got goto alignmemt fairly spot on. Didnt bother hooking the mount up to the laptop,but I did run the Canon from the laptop, using APT. That way I could just schedule in what exposures, how many, what ISO, etc, fairly handy program.

Most of the night was spent on M33, using a Canon 1000D, through a Skywatcher 80ED DS Pro, mounted on a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Mount.
    This is the result of 32x75s subs, stacked in DSS, processed in PS by a good friend, Dave Connolly Photography (defo not me). Its the full frame, no cropping, no flatteners, no reducers.

I also wanted to try out a Canon 70-300 lens just to see what it could do. Early in the night, I went for Orions Belt and Nebula. I only managed a few shots before it went in behind some trees.
    Here's a single 120 second shot. Not too happy with all the CA, and coma, but sure it was a first shot with the lens.

My god , I wanted to start with Astrophotography - but seems a little complex.

So the first photo is taken with a camera through a telescope - the 2nd however is just using a cam + telephoto lens ?

As for the 1st photo with alignment etc, you do that via the laptop connected to the mount with some software ?

and APT ?

Will this book answer all my q's : http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Books/Making-Every-Photon-Count.html

?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

That book is a godsend!

My copy is nearly worn out t this stage.

Yep, the first image is a Canon, connected to a scope, via 2 adaptors. You then focus and take a 90s photo. This can be done with nothing more than the camera, a shutter release and your scope and mount.

I control the mount through Ascom/Carte Du Ciels/EQmod, which are all free programs. I use a Hitecastro EqDir cable to connect the mount to the laptop, which does away with the mount hand control box.

I then control the Canon through APT, again, a free software tool that helps with focus/exposure length/iso, and also you can program the camera to take however many photos of any length and amount, and then walk away. This is connected to the laptop via a cable.

So once setup, i get the mount tracking, get the focus sorted, get the camera connected and running on APT, and go make tea :D

The second shot, was a camera, with just a lens, a 70-300 zoom in this case, on a non tracking photo tripod, and pointed at the sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭cortinaG

Kersh wrote: »
    That book is a godsend!

My copy is nearly worn out t this stage.

Yep, the first image is a Canon, connected to a scope, via 2 adaptors. You then focus and take a 90s photo. This can be done with nothing more than the camera, a shutter release and your scope and mount.

I control the mount through Ascom/Carte Du Ciels/EQmod, which are all free programs. I use a Hitecastro EqDir cable to connect the mount to the laptop, which does away with the mount hand control box.

I then control the Canon through APT, again, a free software tool that helps with focus/exposure length/iso, and also you can program the camera to take however many photos of any length and amount, and then walk away. This is connected to the laptop via a cable.

So once setup, i get the mount tracking, get the focus sorted, get the camera connected and running on APT, and go make tea :D

The second shot, was a camera, with just a lens, a 70-300 zoom in this case, on a non tracking photo tripod, and pointed at the sky!

Great shots.
    I thought 30 sec was the max exposure on a camera tripod before getting star trails?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

It was just a test image while the other one was snapping away, though now that I look at it, Im not sure how I took it. :D

Ill try dig out the raw file.

Advertisement