Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW timing chain problem

1235»

Comments

Or just opt for an A4, A6 , similar power, cheaper. Quattro is brilliant !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

unkel wrote: »
    There's one (yes only one) BMW engine that has given trouble in the last decade or so. And then probably only in about 1 in 20 cars.

If it was only one engine that would be an improvement. The N57 also has the timing chain problem, it's just less prone to it being a six cylinder engine and thus being much smoother running than the four cylinder N47 tractor engine (and also because there were very few N57s made before the first attempt to fix the problem in early January 2009).

But the petrol engines aren't free of problems, either. What about the o-ring on the N62 engine? €7,000 to fix that problem. Or the infamous coil pack and injector problems that blight the N43 and N53 petrol engines? Or the wastegate rattle that affects the N54? Admittedly, as BMW engines go, the N54 is reliable enough, at least over in Europe where aside from the turbo problem it seems to be fine, and not affected by the HPFP that has plauged the engine over in the US since its introduction in late 2006. The N55 uses the same HPFP and also suffers from the problem.

The Prince engine is very unreliable if you get the turbo model (Mini Cooper S and more powerful models only). The NA versions seem to be quite impressively reliable, not just by BMW's pitifully low standards, but quite reliable full stop.

The only engines over the past few years that could in any way be construed as being some way reliable, and not too expensive to fix if they go wrong, are the N13, N20 and N54 engines. Which must represent at most 5% of BMWs/Minis sold in Ireland over the past 4-5 years? The vast, vast majority of new BMWs sold in Irish (and Britain for that matter) since 2008 have been fitted with the N47.

It will be interesting to see how the new B47, and all the other derivatives of that engine get on. The timing chain is still in the wrong place, which is not a good omen but obviously it's too early to say if they're going to suffer. I'm sure knowing BMW's recent form there will be some other very expensive problem to go wrong if they've rectified the timing chain problem, though:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That will make a €20k car (privately) at least €5k more expensive (BMW dealer with warranty). That's a lot of money!

And honestly, "any bmw" is a bit of a dramatic statement, isn't it? There's one (yes only one) BMW engine that has given trouble in the last decade or so. And then probably only in about 1 in 20 cars.

That said, I wouldn't have much confidence privately buying a N47 engined car myself. I think I would just avoid that engine, or make sure I got it so cheap, that the work is already paid for...

5k more on the purchase price for 2 year main dealer warranty looks like a Bargain knowing some of the bills that bmws tend to generate.
    I've seen receipts for 12k spent in one year on a 535d with less than 100k miles and bought new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mickdw wrote: »
    I've seen receipts for 12k spent in one year on a 535d with less than 100k miles and bought new.

That's crazy. You remember what the 12k was for?

That's crazy. You remember what the 12k was for?

I'm pretty sure it was for 2 turbos and an auto box along with other bits and servicing. I seem to remember it included goodwill too - as in the bill should have been more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Lets not forget the plastic chain guides disintegrating on the M62 V8s. :D Granted, at a greater age and higher mileage.

Lets not forget the plastic chain guides disintegrating on the M62 V8s. :D Granted, at a greater age and higher mileage.

What was the fault on your 750 that needed the strip down?

No the M62 was the older V8 from the 90s. Mine was valve stem seals (N62).

No the M62 was the older V8 from the 90s. Mine was valve stem seals (N62).

Ya i knew yours was a smoking issue.
    I asked - what was the issue with your 750 not
    - was that the issue.
    How much would bmw charge if your repair was done at them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mine was a '96 735 with the M62 V8. Sold it at 12 years old and near 150k miles on it. Never any big issues. Also had a M60 V8 (the notorious Nikasil engine) but the car was Irish and we use clean arab oil, not dirty oil like in the US and some parts of the UK. So that car never had a problem either :D

And I'd rather stick my genitals in a blender than hand a BMW main dealer 12k for a repair job :eek:

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya i knew yours was a smoking issue.
    I asked - what was the issue with your 750 not
    - was that the issue.
    How much would bmw charge if your repair was done at them?

Ah apologies. Mines a 740 with 4l N62.
    There's various ways of replacing the stem seals, some more labour intensive than others. I've only seen american dealer quotes, they come in at around $6000-$8000. Lots of reports of these prices, pretty consistent.

Perfect Car in Dundalk did mine for €1300ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

N52 ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mr board

Folks,

I have been reading about this timing chain problem in the BMW 520d and it seems quite prevalent. I have a 2009 520d Touring with 145,000 miles on her. She is driving well, no rattles, sounds, problems at all. Seems solid and a great drive. Should I consider replacing the timing chain or is there anything that I can do to mitigate against this?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

They usually give a noise for a few thousand miles before they fail. No need to incur unnecessary expense.

The prevalence of this issue is overstated, in reality its occurrence rate is probably low single digits.

Advertisement