Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby bottle query

Options
  • 29-10-2014 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

my six week old has developed what looks like a mild case of colic
    im breast feeding and bottle feeding
    im using tommee tippee closer to nature bottles
    someone advised chaging to dr browns bottles
    they said they never had to wind there youngest

should i change ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

I can't imagine not having to wind a baby no matter what you use! We asked a paediatrician about bottles at 6 week check as our daughter had reflux issues. He said dr browns weren't worth it and to use either nuby or tommee tippe as the teat was soft unlike the avent (we were using the classic ones at the time, imagine the newer avent ones would be considered soft now too). Also u would be forever washing the bits in the dr browns ones.

There are lots of things you can try for colic. Certain drops, infacol, the formula u are using etc. I'm not sure about combined feeding in terms of what u can and can't do so mayb a chat with your pharmacist would be best to see what they recommend u do first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

theLuggage wrote: »
    I can't imagine not having to wind a baby no matter what you use! We asked a paediatrician about bottles at 6 week check as our daughter had reflux issues. He said dr browns weren't worth it and to use either nuby or tommee tippe as the teat was soft unlike the avent (we were using the classic ones at the time, imagine the newer avent ones would be considered soft now too). Also u would be forever washing the bits in the dr browns ones.

There are lots of things you can try for colic. Certain drops, infacol, the formula u are using etc. I'm not sure about combined feeding in terms of what u can and can't do so mayb a chat with your pharmacist would be best to see what they recommend u do first.

i have the six week check up tomorrow so i will ask them whats the best way forward, i was just curious about the doc browns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

my six week old has developed what looks like a mild case of colic
    im breast feeding and bottle feeding
    im using tommee tippee closer to nature bottles
    someone advised chaging to dr browns bottles
    they said they never had to wind there youngest

should i change ?

I'm bf and expressing and he gets quite windy too I've added colief drops to the expressed bottle.

However I used the medella teat at first as I was expressing into that bottle but I've changed to tommy tipee which seem to be working.

I had Dr Brown's from another child I tried them and he just won't take to themain at all the teat is long opposed to tommy tipee.

He is 9 weeks and his trapped wind has improved by massage and pedalling his legs.

Dr brown are expensive thou. have you tried massage
    See what they say tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Babies should always be winded!

I use Vital Baby feeding products and they are gorgeous. They have really good teats and have a range of anti colic ones. They are a bit on the expensive side but have a very good selection.

http://www.vitalbaby.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

monflat wrote: »
    He is 9 weeks and his trapped wind has improved by massage and pedalling his legs.

Do you mind me asking what the massage involves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If your baby has wind, gripe water is your friend! Available under the counter at many small pharmacies!

Marz66 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what the massage involves?

Gentle massage of his tummy. To help release any trapped wind or discomfort that he may have.

Start by looking down at baby massage from inside his hip ( his right) but left side as you look at him. Continue up and then across above his belly button and down the other side.
    Basically it's his colon your stimulating to help move things along and move wind

Op how often does baby have wind / discomfort \ pain?

Merkin wrote: »
    Babies should always be winded!

http://www.vitalbaby.co.uk
    I wasnt saying i wasnt going to wind my fella, just stating what the other person said, if the bottle improved the trapped wing i would change

Gentle massage of his tummy. To help release any trapped wind or discomfort that he may have.

Start by looking down at baby massage from inside his hip ( his right) but left side as you look at him. Continue up and then across above his belly button and down the other side.
    Basically it's his colon your stimulating to help move things along and move wind

Op how often does baby have wind / discomfort \ pain?
    its every evening
    during the day he is perfect
    in the evening he will feed for an ounce then scream made with fist clenched
    then he gets mad as he is hungry

If your baby has wind, gripe water is your friend! Available under the counter at many small pharmacies!

i have family coming from england next week they can bring some
    is the gripe water better than infacol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭GIMP

Our baby is now 7 months but as with your baby had awful colic, Dr Browns are excellent, we tried all the other brands first but found Dr Brown by far the best. She is still using them now with second teats suitable for older babies.

As mentioned also Infacol is good and so is Gripe Water to help with the colic. Both seemed to work, my preference would be Gripe Water.

If you are getting a relative to bring the Gripe Water get them to pick up some Calgel for teething too, its a bit away I know but its excellent when the teeth start to show.

Also look into Cow and Gate Comfort formula is excellent for colic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

You can get gripe water in the south now :). No need to get it from England or up north.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We found tommee tippee the best both the anti colic + and normal ones , we found Avent the worst .

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

i used doctor brown up to 8 months and then moved onto the Avent ones with the anti colic. The doctor browns were great- his wind was never bad but still had to wind him. Bitch to clean though! Avent ones work just the same. never tried tommee tippee

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I also find carrying baba in a sling after feeds helps too.
    Our issues are reflux rather then colic but they are often mistaken for each other.

nurse advised trying infacol, takes 7 days to kick in
    she said gripe water isnt as good anymore, she thinks the alcohol was what kept them happy years ago
    i will give it a go and see what happens, he has been taking the infacol since wednesday and it seems to be better so far
    early days but hopefully it works.
    christening next saturday and he now has cradle cap

nurse advised trying infacol, takes 7 days to kick in
    she said gripe water isnt as good anymore, she thinks the alcohol was what kept them happy years ago
    i will give it a go and see what happens, he has been taking the infacol since wednesday and it seems to be better so far
    early days but hopefully it works.
    christening next saturday and he now has cradle cap

Ah hopefully that will go well for you.
    Try massaging a little olive oil sunflower oil into his scalp this will help lift scales

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brissygirl32

Definetly recommend the dr browns bottles !! They were a god send for our baba!!
    Slows thier feeding right down and eliminates most wind being taken in with feed..
    Definetly still need to wind babe but it will come so much easier

Ah hopefully that will go well for you.
    Try massaging a little olive oil sunflower oil into his scalp this will help lift scales

i will try that, nurse told me to get a shampoo called denditox
    i will try the oil later after his bath
    nurse said he is thriving :)
    11lb 7 i thought he was getting big lol

i will try that, nurse told me to get a shampoo called denditox
    i will try the oil later after his bath
    nurse said he is thriving :)
    11lb 7 i thought he was getting big lol

That's a great weight.
    Ah yes that's the expensive version but if you have the others lying about at home they do the trick too. A few drops

• Advertisement
Advertisement