Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Own Connection To The Internet

Options
  • 29-10-2014 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

So I was just thinking

Is it possible to have your own connection to the internet without using the usual ISP's like upc or eircom?

Would it be possible to directly connect to the internet without using these services and if so how would you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Ultimately you have to peer with someone who is currently connected to the internet backbone - in other words, an ISP. Technically you could declare yourself your own ISP and see if you could convince any existing providers to peer with you. Good luck with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

Ultimately you have to peer with someone who is currently connected to the internet backbone - in other words, an ISP. Technically you could declare yourself your own ISP and see if you could convince any existing providers to peer with you. Good luck with that...

What is an internet back bone?

And what is it that makes an isp an isp?

How come they have the power?

What can't my computer directly connect to another computer so long as I know the address?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

What infrastructure are you going to use?
    What IP space are you going to advertise to allow you to connect to others?

This is only the tip of the iceberg.
    To get from your computer to whatever website you want to view, it has to go from your location, to Dublin - or wherever - where it will interconnect with a company that can take it wherever it needs to go.
    This is very simplified, most likely it will go through 3/4 different organisations (ISP's if you want) networks before it even leaves Ireland.

:eek::(:o

(my series of emotions)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

UCDCritic wrote: »

What can't my computer directly connect to another computer so long as I know the address?

internet backbone is like a motorway where the "internet" drive.

isp is like a company that wants to create a junction to that motorway.

the isp have the power because they've to build the infrastructure just to reach the motorway, because building the itself motorway costs even more money (bare in mind that you've huge cables crossing oceans and continents).

Apologies if my examples are not fully accurate, my IT network knowledge is a bit forgotten.

for more info check wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_service_provider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Basically any each time you view a page.. You are connecting across multiple networks.
    Your isp creates the connection out of your home network and on to the first router.
    For you to be able to do this yourself would require the purchase of a block of ip addresses.
    A serious amount of hardware and knowledge in WAN connectivity.
    That only the start

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The internet is structured in a tier-like fashion - end users (you) connect to ISP's who connect to bigger companies that provide whats called the internet backbone i.e. connections across oceans and continents. For you to connect without an ISP would require you to persuade one of the bigger companies to allow you to connect directly to them, which isnt something they offer. So the answer to your question is basically No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The internet is structured in a tier-like fashion - end users (you) connect to ISP's who connect to bigger companies that provide whats called the internet backbone i.e. connections across oceans and continents. For you to connect without an ISP would require you to persuade one of the bigger companies to allow you to connect directly to them, which isnt something they offer. So the answer to your question is basically No.

They don't offer it to consumers, but they do to businesses.
    So don't expect to get it for the typical €40 a month !

I remember Steve Gibson (from the Security Now Podcast) said he has tier 1 access to the internet with a company called "Level 3".

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Level 3 is one, Cogent another. There's a good few operating from Ireland.
    They'll sell to you alright, you'd just pay a fortune for it plus you'd need another operator to provide transit to their equipment.

At the end of the day you'd still need an ISP in some shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You'll have to purchase internet transit.

You will probably want to connect your networking equipment to an internet exchange point.
    INEX in Dublin, where there are 5 point of presence that you can run fiber cabling to. (https://www.inex.ie/technical/connecting )
    CNIX in Cork.

Or connecting to the metropolitan area network managed by eNet, but you'd have to be an accepted service operator, or get one of them to do it for you http://www.enet.ie/the-innovation-centre.html

If you want your own IP range that isn't part of the usual operators...

I'm vague on the details but it seems to involve..
    Registering with RIPE to get a portable IP allocation. (and not a small one)
    Getting an autonomous system number from RIPE.
    Setting up your agreements as to who will route your traffic, and publishing new routing tables by eBGP.

http://bgp.he.net/country/IE
    lists the small number of Irish associated companies that have followed this route, usually because they want to guarantee service so they buy transit from multiple ISPs.

It gets complicated.
    The Internet is a network of networks, with all sorts of balancing acts where network operators bargain and barter over the price they get for carrying data and occasionally play chicken to try and get what they think their service is worth, and sending a particular ISPs traffic on the slow or expensive routes in order to negotiate a better deal. The Internet exchanges try to civilize the negotiations and facilitate peering.
    http://arstechnica.com/features/2008/09/peering-and-transit/1/

• Advertisement

I once had a girl directly connect to my computer where she could play me music directly from hers.

This was years ago but by changing some settings it was able to work.

We all couldn't do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I once had a girl directly connect to my computer where she could play me music directly from hers.

We all couldn't do this?

We do. That's a LAN. Local area network. Network cables to a switch, Wifi to an AP, Bluetooth peer to peer. Most have a star shaped layout nowadays as it means that the entire setup doesn't break when one end resistor gets removed as was the case in the old days.

It starts getting more complicated when you need to talk to the machine beyond your directly connected neighbours.

It needs to route your requests to a separate connection leading to networks not in your control, and package your requests into packets with header information so it knows to relay the responses back to you.

There's about 520000 companies / organisations each of which manage their own block of IP addresses, subdividing them out between their own customers and equipment.
    You need to avoid your data getting lost in loops on their travel around the world, never to return.

And there's large lookup tables that says if you want data to arrive at a particular IP, then the next appropriate neighbour is connected to network port y.
    On home equipment it can just assume that everything that's not local can leave by the WAN port. (whether that's a vDSL, 3G radio, Cable port)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

We all couldn't do this?

Sound to me like it was RDP or some other remote desktop app .What do you want to do ie host you own web site ? This can done using dynamic DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,247 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mean in the case of Clemson University (and many US universities) it's the universities that own fiber lines from A to B - Clemson own the fiber pipe from Clemson University to Georgia Tech and thus Atlanta. ISPs and the universities have a business arrangement to where they get to jack in to the fiber and distribute it to customers. Its a pretty mutual agreement.

Advertisement