Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost our honeymoon pics

Options
  • 29-10-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but here's the dilemma anyway.
    My new husband's iPhone was giving a bit of bother yesterday so an upgrade was ordered. He tried to upload the phone's info to iCloud so as to have all saved for the new phone but, in doing this, EVERYTHING was wiped.
    We only got married in June and all our honeymoon pics were on the phone. I know I should have had them long printed at this stage but hindsight is a great thing.
    He was in touch with Vodafone today and they told him everything was gone.
    Is this true? Should I just dry my tears, suck it up and accept they are gone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Did you use your iphone with itunes? Did you sync your iphone with itunes at anytime? Have a look at this site. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4718118

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There is software available online that might be able to do it. Some of the available software will charge you if it is successful, some want up to €100. If you're lucky you might get one to work that is free.

There are a few companies that can recover the data but you could be looking at a few hundred up to a thousand+ for the recovery.

Something of note is that every second the device is turned on more files are being slowly permanently overwritten. Every attempt you make to retrieve the data makes the data harder to recover. Never recover the data onto the device itself, as it can overwrite data that has not yet been recovered, you need to recover your data to a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I really haven't a clue about any of this stuff. So not "tech savvy" (so is my fecking husband by the looks of things!!!
    Would I be as well bringing the phone in to a computer place and maybe if I speak face to face with someone it would all make more sense?

And to really top it all off, his only concern is about the phone numbers and music he has lost!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

:D Now we're getting to the nub of the problem...

As GarIT said, the most important thing to do if you want to improve your chances of recovering the photos from the device itself is to stop using the phone. Turn it off completely.

But I'd be hopeful the pix have been synced to the Cloud somewhere, whether you were aware of it or not.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help. The tap tapping of the the ipad keyboard is the only sound to be heard in what is a very silent, icy living room!
    Phone is turned off and I will bring it to someone in the morning. I actually still use a Nokia 5800 so that will sum up how unable I am to understand any of this!!!

heldel00 wrote: »
    I really haven't a clue about any of this stuff. So not "tech savvy" (so is my fecking husband by the looks of things!!!
    Would I be as well bringing the phone in to a computer place and maybe if I speak face to face with someone it would all make more sense?

And to really top it all off, his only concern is about the phone numbers and music he has lost!!!

Definitely not. Don't bring it to anywhere other than a professional data recovery company. Your local computer repair place will try simple recovery techniques which if unsuccessful will put the data beyond recovery.

It all depends on how much you value the data, if it is extremely important send it to a professional company like datarecovery.ie but you could be looking at paying 1k. Or if it's not that important you can send it to you local place and they will just use the exact same software you can download yourself, but there is a fair chance that could loose the data. The average software can probably recover them, but if the average software tries and fails its game over. It all depends on how sure you want to be, the link another poster posted is good for walking you the same process a local shop would do.

If you want any chance of getting it back turn it off right now. Receiving a text, or storing a number could be enough to permanently erase the photos.

The next time you turn it on it would be best to make sure that there is no sim card in it and it cant connect to WiFi as these may receive/download data and overwrite the pics. Airplane mode could be a good idea too.

Thousand euro for data recovery!!! A little bit more along with that and I'd be well on my way to a week in the sun where I could stage a few "honeymoon snaps"!

Maybe if Vodafone have said everything is gone then I should just accept it, move on ( find a new husband???!) and start taking more care with important pictures. We all place so much trust in technology that we are never ready for when it lets us down.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its no good to you now, but Dropbox's Camera Sync will prevent this happening again as soon as the device connects to wifi any new photos are backed up. So even if the phone is stolen you still have the images.

What sounds like has happened is he connected the phone on one apple ID to itunes using another apple id. Doing so wipes the device AFAIK (least it did when I used iPods back in the day).

If itunes doesnt have a copy it may be beyond economical recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm happy to give it a whirl with photorec if you want? I can't guarantee anything of course. I'd basically just be hooking it up to my computer and running that application on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm happy to give it a whirl with photorec if you want? I can't guarantee anything of course. I'd basically just be hooking it up to my computer and running that application on it.

This is definitely worth a try if you don't want to go down the professional data recovery route.
    I've used Photorec before successfully - great piece of software.
    But as said, don't be expecting miracles - might not work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Khannie wrote: »

I'm under the impression that that will only work when the iPhone has been jailbroken. Otherwise the filesystem is restricted for security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ressem wrote: »
    I'm under the impression that that will only work when the iPhone has been jailbroken. Otherwise the filesystem is restricted for security reasons.

Ah bummer. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If the iPhone only supports PTP you may also further be out of luck :( . I'm not sure PhotoREC works reliably with PTP, MTP :( . Hopefully I'm wrong though! :)

Nick

Advertisement