If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video processor recommendation

Options
  • 29-10-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for some inspiration. I'm in Dublin with a UPC horizon box and a Samsung 48H6500 TV

HD channel output is gorgeous but SD channels are a bit ropey due to the fact that the Horizon box is outputting 1080p so the TV can't upscale the SD image.

Do you guys stock any video processors that may help?

Thanks, StuF

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

stuf wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking for some inspiration. I'm in Dublin with a UPC horizon box and a Samsung 48H6500 TV

HD channel output is gorgeous but SD channels are a bit ropey due to the fact that the Horizon box is outputting 1080p so the TV can't upscale the SD image.

Thanks, StuF
    Stuf,

unfortunately no dedicated video processors as such but many of our AV Receivers do have upscalers which will scale SD to HD and even 4K - upscaling to 1080 will certainly help with a new AV Receiver, but I'd be inclined to check out some dedicated cables & interconnects in the first instance - I know there is a lot of snake oil around HDMI cables but the AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI really does appear to product great results ( I'm an expensive cable cynic, but I've seen what this cable does and I'm still a bit amazed!) 
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-interconnects/audioquest/chocolate-hdmi-1m/audi-choc-hdmi-1m

Its not quite up on our www.richersounds.ie site yet - but its excellent value in euro at €99.99 against £85!

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Thanks for the response John - given the high quality of my HD signal then I really need selective improvement of the SD channels. A friend of mine uses Lumagen XS but that's way out of my price range 

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Not sure that is correct.

Your TV is 1080p so will try and upscale everything to that.

UPC box will only output 1080p/1080i for HD content
    stuf wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks, StuF

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

..agreed - your TV will try to up-scale anyway so it would really not be worth serious outlay to step up to something like the Lumagen XS IMHO.

If you are anywhere near looking at spending that type of money I'd seriously look at upgrading your TV in the 1st instance rather than spending more than the TV cost to make it look better.

Thanks again guys and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.