Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roller Door For Security

Options
  • 29-10-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,

Is there somewhere in Ireland / Europe that supplies shutter doors for outside your front door / windows.

I was on holidays recently in Spain and they had shutters that can be rolled down from inside the house using a rotating chord.

I thought it was good for safety/security. Also in Ireland it would also act as a heat barrier i.e. to keep the heat in the house

My front door is fairly new but its still far from air tight when the wind is on it in the winter....

Any suggestions where these could be bought please.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

h_orse wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is there somewhere in Ireland / Europe that supplies shutter doors for outside your front door / windows.

I was on holidays recently in Spain and they had shutters that can be rolled down from inside the house using a rotating chord.

I thought it was good for safety/security. Also in Ireland it would also act as a heat barrier i.e. to keep the heat in the house

My front door is fairly new but its still far from air tight when the wind is on it in the winter....

Any suggestions where these could be bought please.......

Not the sort of thing I would recommend as in the case of an emergency it would restrict access through a door or window.
    If you have a problem with drafts user a bigger gasket seal on the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I never heard of that either. If you are going to go for it make sure it meets all the fire regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭h_orse

Yes I understand where your coming from on it from the fire safety point of view...

How does it work in Spain in that scenario so I wonder

I will keep digging on it anyway

Cheers

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

h_orse wrote: »
    Yes I understand where your coming from on it from the fire safety point of view...

How does it work in Spain in that scenario so I wonder

I will keep digging on it anyway

Cheers

:(

I would be looking at it from the safety point of view. Most of the places in Spain I would assume are holiday homes and the like. I know from my dads apartment out there he only uses them when he comes back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi op is this what you mean

http://www.shutterking.org/residential_doors.html

I would definitely invest in these if my house was out in the country side especilally at the rear.

They use them in Spain, France, Germany and many other places mainly for the summer to keep the house cooler also works as added security and also keeps the bad weather(cold)

So there is a lot of benefits to having them.

• Advertisement

Hi op is this what you mean

http://www.shutterking.org/residential_doors.html

I would definitely invest in these if my house was out in the country side especilally at the rear.

They use them in Spain, France, Germany and many other places mainly for the summer to keep the house cooler also works as added security and also keeps the bad weather(cold)

So there is a lot of benefits to having them.

Brilliant.

Thanks very much

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Make your house look a little industrial imho, but they would be great for security.

I woul dsay to do that around all your windows would be a fair price.

Got a price of 400 sterling from an english company delivered,

Erect myself....

Its just at the front door that I was thinking about really....!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Years ago i lived in a house in germany which was divided into three. Mine was the middle obe with a balcony and patio door and two windows.
    They had those shutters on them. Almost every house in the area had them. Great from a security point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's funny though when in France/Germany/Spain it actually looks good and not strange at all.

Sure years ago a lot of houses had those wooden shutters inside and did well to keep heat in along with been great added security along with my favourite black out.

Always wanted blackout blinds/curtains for bedroom so they would do nicely.

When have bought my own place I would really like these as a safety/security feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I remember a hotel that I stayed in in Milan having them, they were a Godsend for keeping light out. 100%. Pitch dark!

Advertisement