Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parked, Camping or Sailing ?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Here's one for the legislators. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Here's one for the legislators. ;)

Nice. Heard Dungarvan Councillors have clarified their position. Will post article in relevant thread ASAP, probably later today.

One is now talking of "serviced sites" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nivekork

Thanks Morgan the Moon,

Here's even more for the legislators. Consider this:-

So what if I was driving along in my motorhome and pulled in to Dungarvan and there was nowhere for me to park for the night…………so then I just drove down the slipway and moored for the night instead.

Or perhaps I was sailing by Dungarvan and decided to pull in to port for the night ………but I decided to drive up the slipway and look for a convenient parking place.

You may think I’ve lost it, but just google ‘Solar Wind’ or ‘amphibious vehicles’ and you’ll get the point. Sorry, but being a Newbie, I can’t post a link.

I wonder how the planners would deal with ‘Solar Wind’ if it turned up in Galway!

There is a serious point to be made here. Just because a motorised white box habitation unit has wheels, why should the tourist infrastructure supporting it be so inferior to that provided for a motorised white box habitation that floats. Or worse again, consideration being given to banning the wheeled unit or otherwise impeding its use. Both units contain tourists presumably doing much the same thing once they’ve left their white box and both will contribute to the local economy, if that should even be a consideration in a matter of the the citizens right to enjoy his own country within the law.

This thought occurred to me one fine evening as I was parked up for the night looking out over the lake at Terryglass … and the slipway.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

Nivekork wrote: »
    Thanks Morgan the Moon,

Here's even more for the legislators. Consider this:-

So what if I was driving along in my motorhome and pulled in to Dungarvan and there was nowhere for me to park for the night…………so then I just drove down the slipway and moored for the night instead.

Or perhaps I was sailing by Dungarvan and decided to pull in to port for the night ………but I decided to drive up the slipway and look for a convenient parking place.

You may think I’ve lost it, but just google ‘Solar Wind’ or ‘amphibious vehicles’ and you’ll get the point. Sorry, but being a Newbie, I can’t post a link.

I wonder how the planners would deal with ‘Solar Wind’ if it turned up in Galway!

There is a serious point to be made here. Just because a motorised white box habitation unit has wheels, why should the tourist infrastructure supporting it be so inferior to that provided for a motorised white box habitation that floats. Or worse again, consideration being given to banning the wheeled unit or otherwise impeding its use. Both units contain tourists presumably doing much the same thing once they’ve left their white box and both will contribute to the local economy, if that should even be a consideration in a matter of the the citizens right to enjoy his own country within the law.

This thought occurred to me one fine evening as I was parked up for the night looking out over the lake at Terryglass … and the slipway.
    Your absolutely right. The guy in the picture and his wife were sleeping in the boat. "Parked" on the "Stellplatz". Welcomed by the other "Stellplatz" user's and the "official" from the town that came to collect € 4.00 a night. No time limit on how long you stayed. Pay extra for water and electricity. Grey water was free to dispose of and Chemical toilet dispoal was € 1.00.

It goes to show there is a lot of tolerance in other EU States so why so little in Ireland? I always describe meeting the "friendliest people of Europe" at home here in Ireland, especially the ones in Motorhomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

................................there is a lot of tolerance in other EU States so why so little in Ireland? .............

See HERE ;);)

..................................You may think I’ve lost it, but just google ‘Solar Wind’ or ‘amphibious vehicles’ and you’ll get the point. Sorry, but being a Newbie, I can’t post a link. ..........................

It's TERRA WIND :)

• Advertisement

The brochure looks good, a lot of time and effort.

Professionalism! It does exist.

I notice they do not show pictures of the facilities required by Motorhome enthusiasts or other potential user's.

Hopefully some legislators / councillors might see the value of showing some tolerance eh!!

Morg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nivekork

Thanks Niloc - indeed it is TERRA Wind
    Nice though, and a legislators nightmare.

Do you think they would have to lift the bridge to allow the Motorhome up the Liffey ? It would certainly cause a stir !! Imagine a City Centre overnight stop for a Motorhome in Dublin or that would be a berth I suppose.

I'm doing an extra line on the lotto ! Dreaming !

Morg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

niloc1951 wrote: »

Would love to see that going up the Shannon!.

Must check my bank balance.

Watch to the end then click on Motorhome mud bogging (or google it) and tell me what gear the drivers brain was in:eek:.

Only in America :):):).

• Advertisement

Would love to see that going up the Shannon!.

If the rain get's going we might all need one of those "yoke's"

Watch to the end then click on Motorhome mud bogging (or google it) and tell me what gear the drivers brain was in:eek:.

Fair play to the drivers though! sure know how to handle their Motorhomes.

Mine wouldn't have a chance on that terrain.

Morg

Fair play to the drivers though! sure know how to handle their Motorhomes.

Mine wouldn't have a chance on that terrain.

Morg

Did we watch the same clip?:confused:. Either of us could just have easily driven into that mud hole and then get pulled out! I didn't see much skill, but I'm still wondering why they did it?.

Seriously though, I think you must have watched a different clip. The one I mentioned was just a guy trying to get his MH through a large mud pit. Without any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Did we watch the same clip?:confused:. Either of us could just have easily driven into that mud hole and then get pulled out! I didn't see much skill, but I'm still wondering why they did it?.

Seriously though, I think you must have watched a different clip. The one I mentioned was just a guy trying to get his MH through a large mud pit. Without any luck.

I would say it's the "somewhere in Nevada Motorhome mud bog" video that's being talked about.

This is the one I referred to. imo how not to treat a MH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrrtW164KZE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

He should have borrowed marlows van :)
    551736_10151250505408682_154409601_n.jpg

Those Ford F-150's are serious machines, the most powerful versions produce 420 ft/lb of torque and are rated to tow 6 tonnes but expect no better than 12/15 mpg :eek:

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Those Ford F-150's are serious machines, the most powerful versions produce 420 ft/lb of torque and are rated to tow 6 tonnes but expect no better than 12/15 mpg :eek:

Don't swim very well though do they:D.

Don't swim very well though do they:D.

The F-150 is the yolk at the front of the tow rope :p

I liked the videos that much I watched them all !!

To answer your original question about what gear was he in. I'm going to say "casual shirt, shorts and could not see his footwear" :D:D

Advertisement