Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to ask/look out for when viewing a house for sale?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Anyone any tips on what to ask/look out for when viewing a house for sale?

Or any links to a handy checklist etc?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Phantom bidders could be an issue,plenty of cowboy auctioneers.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Cracks in the walls- settling cracks or otherwise. Walk around outside see if there is water dripping from any of the outlets. fascia board condition- lots of people forget this. Attic condition (i always ask to see it if i a extremely interested) or get as much info as i can on it. was there ever a chimney fire (i got burned with this with a recent purchase and forgot to ask!) etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭rightoldpickle

Wouldn't have thought of chimney fires - thanks for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Please ask if there is any negative equity on the house. If so, have they got the official consent from the bank to sell? If not, scratch the house off your list and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Any offers
    How long on market
    Whats area like
    State of owners i.e. bank sale
    Likely sale price excepted
    Look for damp .. cracks poor construction signes.
    Boiler windows doors sewerage proximity to services

Garden boundary walls secure

Noise

Anti social behaviour

Graffiti

How neighbours houses look

Crime in area

Property price register for area prices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm not a construction engineer, so I leave the structural survey and queries about cracks or damp to a professionals.

What I ask is:

What's the reason for the sale.
    Any other similar properties in the area for sale, or recently sold.
    Depends on the area, but I've asked about any underpinning history in areas where it is common.
    History of the building, age of the building.
    Who else is interested.

I try to get as much information about the vendor as possible... what age are they, are they looking for a quick sale, etc.

The house, I look at whether it suits my needs, is there room for extension, and if I like the area.

I then go and ask the local garda, publican and priest about the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Some problems with a property are not easily detected by an amateur on a walk-through. That is why it is wise to engage a surveyor at the stage where your interest becomes serious.

Don't take the EA's word on anything. That's not to say that they are intentionally misleading you. They often don't have the information or expertise to give a properly informative answer. And you have no comeback if you rely on an opinion that happens to be mistaken.

I'd settle for looking at the general condition of a place, and simple things like running some taps, flushing toilets, counting sockets and testing some of them, seeing if the kitchen units are good and suitable for you. Then I would try to assess how a place suits my lifestyle - for example, I like a good dining area.

Neighbours/neighbourhood are quite important. If you are not familiar with the area, walk around - not just at normally quiet times like a weekday afternoon, but also in the evening and during the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GinaI

would it be ok to view a house twice? I mean,if you had 10 houses on the list and you shortlitsed 2 of them, can you ask to view them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

It could be worth seeing if the house is in an area with high levels of radon gas, you can buy a testing kit for about €50.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/radon_in_buildings.html

very important point to ask the seller,

was this house built on an ancient indian burial ground!!

a little seasonal humour!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,806 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

GinaI wrote: »
    would it be ok to view a house twice? I mean,if you had 10 houses on the list and you shortlitsed 2 of them, can you ask to view them again?
    Of course!
    I wouldnt put in a bid tbh without seeing a house twice at least.

dutopia wrote: »
    It could be worth seeing if the house is in an area with high levels of radon gas, you can buy a testing kit for about €50.

the test is to be done for 3 month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jaysus yes of course! I've viewed houses 3 or 4 times each. It's a big purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

the test is to be done for 3 month!

Thanks for pointing out, I didn't know that.

Thanks for pointing out, I didn't know that.

it's in the link you've posted ;-)

and who can you ask if there are many council houses in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Gosh yes! View as many times as you want if you really think it is the house for you! Obviously within reason :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Johngoose wrote: »
    Phantom bidders could be an issue,plenty of cowboy auctioneers.

Highly unlikely with big chains, they have compliance officers who audit them continuously. All bid have to be logged and brought to vendor as per regulation.

I think it is important to check if there are any building sites around, because a new estate built nearby can change the area. especially, as it was announced in the budget , that government was going to spend such & such amount for building council houses.

Some great tips there. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andyournameis

Check under the carpet mat if they have any, just in case the floor is damaged. I got caught with that before there was a gap in the wooden floor!

Ask can you take a video on your phone one inside room by room and one outside.

Run all the showers and taps in the house, flush the toilet...

Turn on and off all lights in the house

Drive pass the area in the evening and night time.

Flushing toilets and running taps seem so obvious when you say it but Ive not done it at a single viewing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Flushing toilets and running taps seem so obvious when you say it but Ive not done it at a single viewing yet.
    I wouldn't bother on a first viewing, but there would be more than one viewing if I were seriously considering a property.

The one time I tried it on a first viewing, I discovered that the water had been cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Is the area prone to flooding?
    Is the house in a development affected by Pyrite?
    Who was the builder/developer-some houses were thrown up during the boom!
    Have any additions been made such as an extension or loft conversion, is certification available for any structural elements of the works such as steel beams, foundations, certs for compliance with planning permission or certs for exemption from planning permission in place, certification for compliance with the building regs in place at the time of construction.
    Whats the BER?

Essential to get it surveyed-particularly an older house where woodworm and other nasty things might be might be an issue-typically visible on timbers in the loft-which you won't have seen as you did not go up to the loft?

Advertisement