Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most cost effective option???

Options
  • 29-10-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi
    we are currently deciding on a house plan for self build. We had a pre plan meeting and planner advised we could submit a bungalow, dormer or story and a half with a 2150 square foot limit.
    We are quite a large family that would require 4 beds and a play/gamesroom.

Considering a 2150 bungalow with provisions for attic conversion which would be started as soon as the build is signed off (with the intention of applyin for retention of attic conversion down the road- only way we can think of gettin tge space we need)

Do you think this is a good option financially or would a story and a half be cheaper to build??

All advice welcome!
    Jd xx

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Self build?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Imho, to deliver 2150 over two floors means that, compared to a bungalow, that you will have a smaller footprint, ergo, smaller foundations and smaller roof area.

Those two factors alone should make the two-storey option more economically viable.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jdsk2006

galwaytt wrote: »
    Imho, to deliver 2150 over two floors means that, compared to a bungalow, that you will have a smaller footprint, ergo, smaller foundations and smaller roof area.

Those two factors alone should make the two-storey option more economically viable.

was kinda on the same train of thought myself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

jdsk2006 wrote: »
    Hi
    we are currently deciding on a house plan for self build. We had a pre plan meeting and planner advised we could submit a bungalow, dormer or story and a half with a 2150 square foot limit.
    We are quite a large family that would require 4 beds and a play/gamesroom.

Considering a 2150 bungalow with provisions for attic conversion which would be started as soon as the build is signed off (with the intention of applyin for retention of attic conversion down the road- only way we can think of gettin tge space we need)

Do you think this is a good option financially or would a story and a half be cheaper to build??

All advice welcome!
    Jd xx
    dont go for planning, knowing your gong to apply for rentention!
    If you do want to plan for future attic conversion speak to your architect about including certain steps for the structural, fire, air-tightness, HW, insulation future proofing ( not an exhausted list by any means)

BryanF wrote: »
    dont go for planning, knowing your gong to apply for rentention!
    If you do want to plan for future attic conversion speak to your architect about including certain steps for the structural, fire, air-tightness, HW, insulation future proofing ( not an exhausted list by any means)
    Architect is aware of our plans of a future attic conversion and plans will have structural needs met for the conversion. We just can't decide over bungalow(with attic conversion) or story and a half (also with attic conversion, which requires two flights of stairs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

Will they allow a garage attached to the house that can be converted at a later date? It would be difficult to get any space in the second floor/ attic of a storey and a half.

Superdaddy wrote: »
    Will they allow a garage attached to the house that can be converted at a later date? It would be difficult to get any space in the second floor/ attic of a storey and a half.

Need to bring this up with our architect at the next meet, see could he suggest a stylish way to do that. thanks!

jdsk2006 wrote: »
    Architect is aware of our plans of a future attic conversion and plans will have structural needs met for the conversion. We just can't decide over bungalow(with attic conversion) or story and a half (also with attic conversion, which requires two flights of stairs).

2+1 storey with meaningful space is possible, but house will be tall, and you're in a whole new realm of fire regs etc. .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

Read this bad boy. Very useful.

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/578944050.pdf

Cannot believe planners are still promoting dormer options. Never mind the airtightness/insulation issues, most of them have no aesthetic appeal

lownhard wrote: »
    Read this bad boy. Very useful.

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/578944050.pdf

Cannot believe planners are still promoting dormer options. Never mind the airtightness/insulation issues, most of them have no aesthetic appeal

There is no insulation or airtightness issue - there is no reason why they shouldn't be built.

Aesthetics are personal.

Just had a high speed read of that document for design. Jeebus - glad I'm not building in Cork. What a condescending, dictatorial piece of work.

"Never mind the client, here's what some planner in an office thinks you should live in / likes" could have been one alternative title for it.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

SIP construction must solve those potential problems with dormers ;)

Advertisement