Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

push presents (aka new mom present!)

Options
  • 29-10-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi,
    just googling ideas there for my wife who is dues in a few weeks and saw that in the states its known as a push present! anyway i was thinking of maybe an engraved locket or something with the date she has the baby on it. anyone know of a good website for something like this?? or if anyone got a present of something else which was nice and different then i'd love to hear it for ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I didn't get a push present, not sure I know anyone who did either but the Christmas after my baby was born my husband got me a lovely ring with all three of our birthstones on it. He also got her name and date of birth engraved on the inside. The locket sounds like a nice idea though.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I didnt get one. Didnt expect one either to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I think it is a lovely idea.

A locket would be lovely. Some people get eternity rings. My friend has a lovely silver chain, and for each child she gets a little boy or girl charm to add to it. Don't know where she got it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I didn't get one but now that you've put the idea in my head, feel like I deserve one! :P Next time round I must drop BROAD hints!! (I think a little bit of jewelery is fair exchange for pregnancy followed by labour followed by c-section!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Not exactly a push present but when I was pregnant hubby bought me a beautiful tanzanite set of earrings and necklace. The stone represents pregnancy / birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I didn't get any from my husband but the tradition is to get an eternity ring on the birth of first child.

I bought myself a ring I'd had my eye on for ages before my daughter was born. I wouldn't have expected my husband to buy it for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I got a ring after my first. ..nothing after the second. ..not sure what that means ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I MUST alert my husband to this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I don't think I'd be a good candidate for a push present. I put my wedding ring away " safely when I was around 8 months pregnant
    I still can't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's a fairly crass thing to call it! What if you didn't push? ;)

Nothing here either, but I do know people who have gotten eternity rings, or ipads from husbands after having a baby. Ipad is a nice one I think, as you end up stuck to the couch for a while when the baby is very small with feeding / winding / sleeping on you.

Must store that one away for a future perceived injustice from him.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    It's a fairly crass thing to call it! What if you didn't push? ;)

Nothing here either, but I do know people who have gotten eternity rings, or ipads from husbands after having a baby. Ipad is a nice one I think, as you end up stuck to the couch for a while when the baby is very small with feeding / winding / sleeping on you.

Must store that one away for a future perceived injustice from him.

I didnt push either! Must be why I didnt get one. Though I did get a piece of jewellery on the Christmas I was pregnant. Do you get bigger/more gemstones depending on amount of episiotomy stitches I wonder? ;)

In all seriousness though, it is nice to have a memento. Lockets arent for everyone though, but something with the baby's birthstone might be nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I got a really really nice bottle of wine to make up for all the wine I couldn't have when I was pregnant....

The locket idea sounds lovely. Here's the newbridge one, presume anywhere that stocks it will engrave it for you http://www.newbridgesilverware.com/products/jewellery/pendants/item/MOH310/M+O'Hara+Clear+Locket
    http://www.giftsdirect.com/personalised-sterling-silver-heart-locket.html
    http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/keepsafe-personalised-sterling-silver-and-gold-plated-diamond-set-family-locket/1397369303.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I didn't push even once. But my husband wanted to get me something as a recognition of everything I went through. I picked out jewellery both times, something I'll have forever ratherthan an iPad which would be gone eventually.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I bought my husband a gorgeous watch on the 1st,a lovely parker pen set for the 2nd,the 3rd coincided with our wedding so I got him a bottle of Midleton Barry Crockett whiskey and a bottle of green spot,he got nothing for the 4th I was broke by then;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would not like a locket but traditionally an eternity ring was a present for the 1st child and any nice jewelry to keep would be gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I didn't call them push presents but I did get photography voucher for all three births something that I would treasure more than jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I dropped massive hints for number one and got nothing....looking the same for number two - that said I got a beautiful baby.

a locket is a beautiful idea or a charm bracelet - tiffanys do a lovely one...note to self leave comment open for husband to read :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I pushed 3 in the world and didn't get a thing only sleepless nights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

It's a nice idea and can last forever. I received a locket for my first Mother's day rather than a push present. There are beautiful Mother's gifts that you can get online from http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/ (not sure if I can post links) but will recommend.

I could easily go broke on this site!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

I didn't get anything either but I did buy a lovely necklace for myself :D It has baby's birthstone and her name engraved on a silver dangly piece, I plan on handing it over to my LO when she is older :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I got an antique sapphire ring after my baby was born. I'd been looking for a ring for a while and coincidentally saw this one after my son arrived. Wouldn't have expected a gift though. I think that's a newer tradition here. Most young families now are trying so hard to buy their first home/move put of negative equity he'll that I suspect it's way down the list of priorities.

Having said all that the locket sounds lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Hubby's getting me a new charm for my tiffanys charm bracelet, he got it for me for my 30th, and added a charm for our wedding, and now one for little pud being born. Would of loved an eternity ring, there's one to complete my wedding set, but just can't afford it at the minute, so we'll save for that and maybe for our 5 years anniversary!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

Bought this for my Missus for the birth of our first a month ago: https://www.etsy.com/ie/transaction/225190459. Not a push present per se just wanted something to mark the occasion. She loves it and the little fella seems to too.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

My husband wrote me a little poem about the day of the birth. A funny one. I bawled my eyes out when I read it, laughing and crying-hormones don't ya know! I'll treasure it forever.

manti452 wrote: »
    Bought this for my Missus for the birth of our first a month ago: https://www.etsy.com/ie/transaction/225190459. Not a push present per se just wanted something to mark the occasion. She loves it and the little fella seems to too.

That is beautiful:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

My husband wrote me a little poem about the day of the birth. A funny one. I bawled my eyes out when I read it, laughing and crying-hormones don't ya know! I'll treasure it forever.

Thoughtful gifts are always the best and they don't need to cost a cent. Well done Mr afkasurfjunkie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jdmluder

Instead of eternity ring I got Tiffany braclet with baby s name engraved on it. Love it. Well deserved too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I got nothing jewellery wise but did get a one night off voucher which I really enjoyed when I was no longer feeding my boy myself. The night of included a bath, takeaway and bottle of wine Mmmmmm

I used to work in a jewellers that was near a maternity (over 12 years ago now) and we always had dad's coming in buying something for their wives/girlfriends. I loved them coming in as they just had this goofy faraway look in their eyes (I now know that to be crazy tiredness) and often they were very moved by the amazing thing the Mammy had done. We sold everything from full on eternity rings to lockets, earrings, watches and bracelets. It's a beautiful idea and no matter what it is, it will be much appreciated I'm sure.

Advertisement