Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Bird feeding forum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone seen any fieldfare or redwings yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Yep. Several smaller groups of Fieldfare's here in North Mayo, sometimes accompanied with starlings.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We usually have large flocks of fieldfare and redwing from the first week in November but none so far this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

fryup wrote: »
    anyone seen any fieldfare or redwings yet??

I have seen Redwings for about the last week while walking the dog. About 5 or 6. West Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BoonDockMoo

Was going to get that Aldi bird feeding station but ending up getting the one in Heatons instead. It's shorter but still tall enough.

Only had a small bird feeding table in front garden and one fat ball feeder in the trees at the back of house for the last year, but this bird feeding station has got the whole household interested in birds. We are able to watch them from the couch, very entertaining. I'm feeding peanuts, suet cakes, fat balls and seeds on it so there are lots arriving for their all day buffet!

Bought our first bird book "The Birds of Ireland-A Field Guide" by Jim Wilson (will be the household Christmas present from Santa! It's pretty cool with between 8 and 15 photos of each bird type from different angles. Haven't a clue about birds really but loving the activity in the garden....plus I feel I'm re-paying the birds for the few possible relatives/ancestors the outside cat has killed over the years.

I wouldn't mind getting another feeding station but maybe that would cause more rows between the birds? They had quite a few scuffles for the first while but seem to all be getting on or tolerating each other a bit more now. I haven't a clue though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It gets addictive seeing how you can attract different birds with different food combinations. Often has us running for that field guide. Wait til you're adding a go pro to the bird table and binoculars to the coffee table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

It gets addictive seeing how you can attract different birds with different food combinations. Often has us running for that field guide. Wait til you're adding a go pro to the bird table and binoculars to the coffee table.

Tell me about it... I started with a few feeders in the 2010 freeze and now I go birding nearly every weekend, have 5 or 6 birding books, binoc always ready and this year I ended up getting a scope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BoonDockMoo

Ha! Funny you should say that, I had already started reading a thread about binoculars after posting in this one. That might be a birthday present for someone in the house next :D

gzoladz wrote: »
    Tell me about it... I started with a few feeders in the 2010 freeze and now I go birding nearly every weekend, have 5 or 6 birding books, binoc always ready and this year I ended up getting a scope :)

You'd want to be careful. That's how I started. Fed and watched garden birds 60 years ago and birds went on to be a lifelong obsession. I was never a twitcher but spent every available hour birding. Then the other wildlife like mammals, insects, flowers etc creep in they become a fascination.
    I still get my greatest satisfaction from the "common" garden birds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

The Goldfinches and Robins have been doing some singing around the garden with the last few days. The Wren made a few attempts too. Great to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Mech1

Lots of birds visiting this morning, they must be freezin !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Don't forget to put out some water for them....

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Trying to find a crow-proof way to feed the robins and other ground feeders... Latest experiment is a large wire hanging basket, upside down on the ground and secured with tent pegs. Nice suet block waiting for them if they go in. :) I see the robins hovering around the hanging feeders so I feel bad for them.

I'm only feeding the birds for the first time this winter but I'm amazed at the variety of birds I've seen. They are all common species but me it's been a revelation seeing birds I never knew we had close-by, like goldfinches and greenfinches. We have a ton of house sparrows. I actually love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

male blackcap doing his bully boy routine around our feeding table

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have a jay coming to the feeder for the last two weeks. I wonder how common they are in and around garden feeders? I've never seen one before in the garden.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I have a jay coming to the feeder for the last two weeks. I wonder how common they are in and around garden feeders? I've never seen one before in the garden.

They are quite uncommon at garden feeders! That is a great one to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

They are quite uncommon at garden feeders! That is a great one to have.

Would it be the reason why the numbers of the other main garden species have dropped considerably since?

I don't know how often it is there. Every now and again when I walk past the window he flies off. I can hear it the odd time too. I assume it is there more than I notice.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Would it be the reason why the numbers of the other main garden species have dropped considerably since?

I don't know how often it is there. Every now and again when I walk past the window he flies off. I can hear it the odd time too. I assume it is there more than I notice.

It shouldn't at this time of year; no more than a magpie or jackdaw would disturb other birds.

They are quite shy. The only one I have ever seen was in Cabinteely a few weeks ago, I was organizing my gear and there it landed to feed a few meters away of me. I was unprepared so shoot my camera immediately and the result was poor but by the time I was ready to take a proper photo it was gone.

Beautiful colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

A friend of mine has had a few visits from this Jay in the garden over the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

I love feeding my little feathered friends and since I moved into this house in late summer the number of visitors has quadrupled. But seriously why is bird food so expensive? It's bird food - the clue is in the name!! I usually try and buy a big sack for around €20 but they seem to have disappeared. In Maxizoo the last day they were charging €48.99 for a sack! And don't even get me started on those 'gourmet' bags. Feeding the birds should not be a 'lifestyle choice' but it's getting to be that way if you're any way on a budget :mad:

I have to agree on the expense. I find it has now got to the point where I am rationing feed.

Me too and I hate it. I try and save every crumb from the house to supplement the food as well. Even found myself eyeing up the layers pellets in Maxizoo the last day - €10.99 for a big sack ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

fleabag wrote: »
    I love feeding my little feathered friends and since I moved into this house in late summer the number of visitors has quadrupled. But seriously why is bird food so expensive? It's bird food - the clue is in the name!! I usually try and buy a big sack for around €20 but they seem to have disappeared. In Maxizoo the last day they were charging €48.99 for a sack! And don't even get me started on those 'gourmet' bags. Feeding the birds should not be a 'lifestyle choice' but it's getting to be that way if you're any way on a budget :mad:

What area are you living? I buy a large sack for about €17. Could PM you the source.

What area are you living? I buy a large sack for about €17. Could PM you the source.

I'm in Co. Waterford, please PM, might be worth travelling for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Check amazon uk, they often have specials.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how big is the sack? i usually pay €20 to €25 for a 25kg sack.

how big is the sack? i usually pay €20 to €25 for a 25kg sack.

A 20k. sack for €17.

fleabag wrote: »
    I'm in Co. Waterford, please PM, might be worth travelling for!

PM sent.

• Advertisement

My feeders are very unpopular as I live in an apartment and have competition, so hardly ever get anything.

However, yesterday a magpie showed up. I know, it is a magpie, but after months of no visitors it was nice to see it.

Advertisement