Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wild Bird feeding forum?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mech1 wrote: »
    Ahh not too bad if you buy loads on a week that your flush, maybe not so good for anyone on a very limited budget, but I would spend maybe €40 a month? plus the kids cereals go down very quick but the missus pays for them.

Those breakfast cereal are about €4 a pack! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Those breakfast cereal are about €4 a pack! :eek:

SHhhhh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

First solitary Lesser Redpoll of the winter at the nyger feeder on Monday - number up to six today ! Still watching out for a Siskin !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

First solitary Lesser Redpoll of the winter at the nyger feeder on Monday - number up to six today ! Still watching out for a Siskin !

And this morning it arrived - first Siskin of the year on the nut feeder !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting survery results from feeding birds from NZ - although they do note that the local populations already favour introduced species.

http://conservationmagazine.org/2015/05/beware-of-the-backyard-bird-feeder/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

interesting survery results from feeding birds from NZ - although they do note that the local populations already favour introduced species.

http://conservationmagazine.org/2015/05/beware-of-the-backyard-bird-feeder/

In fairness, a slice of bread and a cup of seed is not a diet to encourage any diversity. If we were garden feeding in New Zealand we would be providing fruit and insect sources for our birds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mixes are overrated. Put out peanuts, and put out sunflower hearts, and you'll cater to everything with that. When it gets frosty, consider fatballs.

At the moment there's a huge amount of food available in the wider countryside so birds aren't using feeders much. It's the quietest October in years for my feeders, but it's good to have a bit out, and bit by bit the birds will return later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My feeders have never been busier. Swarms of goldfinches, 10-15 at a time squabbling over access to the sunflower kernels, other finches and sparrows in the ground feeder eating, yes, a seed mix. Small flocks of long tailed tits on the fatballs, and our resident woodpigeon and collared doves. Meanwhile the peanut feeder remains virtually unused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Bsal

Same here my feeders have never been busier, I have the largest charm of Goldfinches I've ever had at the feeders around 100 strong flock, the Goldfinch seem to have had a great breeding season this year along with Wood Pidgeons and Collared Doves, House Sparrows, all the Corvids and Starlings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

That's interesting BSal and Alun, you're in the minority! Are you in Urban, Suburban or Rural areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I too am experiencing a very busy time at the moment with the feeders. We have a lot of Goldfinches at the sunflower seeds. Approx 30 in our garden the other day (most we've ever had), along with the usual tits, sparrows, pidgeons, etc. The sparrows are eating the sunflower seeds and the mixed seed. Only when these are empty do they venture to the peanut feeders. I am based in suburban Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭11James11

Anybody any  recommendations on the where to get 25 kg peanuts delivered in Ireland?, place I ordered from before no longer does bird feed and most places I found are looking for twice the price I used to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Bsal

My go to for birdfood recently, great prices compared to the normal retailers and cheap enough delivery

https://www.newbawnwildbirdfeed.com/the-shop/

Advertisement