Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weathering new concrete?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

At the risk of people thinking im odd and the opposite what people normally want to do with paths which is clean them by power washing, I have repaired some concrete paths that were cracked and crumbling with some new concrete/cement - now it looks odd with the existing path blackened/weathered and the new concrete a very light grey when dry, i dont really want to powewash the weathered concrete so what would be the best way to 'weather' the look of the new concrete rather than wait for it to weather over time? - any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Yogurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

scudo2 wrote: »
    Yogurt.

Greek? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭specialized105

hard to weather the new concrete but if use sodium chloride as used for cleaning and swimming pools,in rits raw state use a green can and rose on it ,leave for an hour and wash off ,brings up old concrete like new.why not powerwash it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

hard to weather the new concrete but if use sodium chloride as used for cleaning and swimming pools,in rits raw state use a green can and rose on it ,leave for an hour and wash off ,brings up old concrete like new.why not powerwash it?
    Salt???

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Yogurt.

Legit idea

http://www.ehow.com/how_6143908_make-concrete-look-aged.html
    You can age your concrete by applying moss and bacterialb_icon1.png to the surface of the stone for an aged appearance.

• Advertisement

use sodium chloride as used for cleaning and swimming pools,in rits raw state.... .why not powerwash it?

Good idea, i shall give sodium chloride a go - where can you buy it , would it be something that Homebase would have?

3 things spring to mind at the moment why i dont want to power wash it ... number 1 water charge!... number 2 I dont want the risk of powerwashing the new bit of cement i have put down with the pressure of the power washer... number 3 time and effort of powerwashing

Yogurt.

Ah i see now its all becoming clear now why you suggested Yoghurt thanks - because of the bacteria in it!

Trouble is I would need a gallon of the stuff to weather the bit of cementing I done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Good idea, i shall give sodium chloride a go - where can you buy it , would it be something that Homebase would have?

3 things spring to mind at the moment why i dont want to power wash it ... number 1 water charge!... number 2 I dont want the risk of powerwashing the new bit of cement i have put down with the pressure of the power washer... number 3 time and effort of powerwashing
    Sodium Chloride is SALT!

red sean wrote: »
    Sodium Chloride is SALT!

ah right thanks, was never good at science/chemistry in school! ;)

hard to weather the new concrete but if use sodium chloride as used for cleaning and swimming pools

Did you mean Chlorine instead of Cloride?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Do you want old weathered look or new look ?

Old look, = mix yogurt with 2 pints of milk + a bucket of water, leave it for a week and then brush on to new concrete on a dry !! day.

(Somebody else suggested butter milk, makes more sense.)

I'm not mad, just ingenious.
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I foolishly put "weed & feed" pellets all over my paths last year and it stained the sh1t out of them. Gave them a reddish worn look.

Advertisement