Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Band

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

BraveDonut wrote: »
    You can see what courses have been mapped on the Microsoft Health app. The service is provided by myroundpro.com
    My course is not mapped :mad:
    I logged a request for it to be mapped a few weeks back but I haven't heard anything.

Same here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

I think I figured why I'm often not hearing notifications on my phone recently. It seems that there's a bug/problem with the Band that if you have phone paired with both band and car the phone rightly goes to Driving Mode when you start your car. However, when you stop the car the phone sees a bluetooth device (band) still connected, so it stays in driving mode. This means notifications are not happening. Anyone else experience this or found a workaround? Only answers I can find online are to manually turn off/on driving mode or else to do the same with Bluetooth each time you get out of the car.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

g0g wrote: »
    I think I figured why I'm often not hearing notifications on my phone recently. It seems that there's a bug/problem with the Band that if you have phone paired with both band and car the phone rightly goes to Driving Mode when you start your car. However, when you stop the car the phone sees a bluetooth device (band) still connected, so it stays in driving mode. This means notifications are not happening. Anyone else experience this or found a workaround? Only answers I can find online are to manually turn off/on driving mode or else to do the same with Bluetooth each time you get out of the car.....?

I have this as well, phone continues to show the driving mode symbol after I get out of the car, not every time but if I notice it I just flick Bluetooth off and back on on the phone.

I actually hadn't noticed if it has affected notifications though, just that the symbol was still showing as being in driving mode.

I haven't really paid much attention to it but I think it does turn off driving mode itself just its a bit slow coping on that you are now out of the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The clasp on my band 2 is scratched to bits. I have the band on my wrist with the screen facing out.

I can't imagine what the screen would be like if I had it facing in like MS recommend. :o

MS Health update available now which includes Band update too. You can now use it to control music plus a couple of other new features.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

McGaz23 wrote: »
    I missed out on the Amazon deal mention above, seems to have gone back up in price during the sales! Currys UK are the best I can find at the minute but looks like they're out of stock. Has anyone come across any good deals on these recently? Also anyone have any idea why Amazon are charging more for the Medium and small sizes compared to the large? Presuming its stock level or something?

Littlewoods ireland have it at €249, use 10% code 6KC7K to reduce it to €224.10

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/microsoft-smart-band-v2/1600038387.prd?_requestid=117547

I believe that is the cheapest around.
    they have Jan 4trh as delivery estimate but even at this time of year items usually land much earlier than their estimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Amazon Lightning Deal - Microsoft Band 2 - £149.99 - starting soon

not a huge discount, as it is currently on a £169.99 "offer" on amazon (and also the microsoft.co.uk site) but rrp for this is £199.99. For comparison, it is €254 in argos and €239 in littlewoods.

edit : using that code from Sir Oxman brings the littlewoods price to €215.10

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭ra0044

Hi all.

I have the opportunity to buy a band 1 for a good price. My question to those who have a band is are they worth buying still.

This is my first steps in to wearables and would really like a band 2 but in my head probably couldn't justify the price at the moment.

For similar money to the band 1 I could probably get one of the fitbit trackers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

What are the advantages of this (band 2) over the fitbit? There's a huge price difference. Not too interested in smartphone controls, does it offer anything else that the fitbit doesn't?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

wrt40 wrote: »
    What are the advantages of this (band 2) over the fitbit? There's a huge price difference. Not too interested in smartphone controls, does it offer anything else that the fitbit doesn't?

The Fitbit equivalent is the Fitbit Surge, and there's not much of a price difference there, if any.

If you're comparing the Band 2 to the Fitbit Charge HR, then the main differences would be the GPS tracker built in, guided workouts, more sensors, and explicit tracking for different sports (Golf, Running, Cycling, etc)

Many more too, including some subjective ones for me, like it looks better, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

wrt40 wrote: »

It's also important to note that the Fitbits usually have better battery life than the MS Band.

Posting my own thoughts which might be of use to others looking at the band. I was and am a big Nokia then MS phone fan and was eagerly awaiting this as my first smart wearable. However I sold mine after owning it for just a month. Below are the reasons which are worth considering for others, although I'm sure some might be unique to me or are possibly fixable.

1) Battery Life - it's annoying having another gadget to remember to charge. I remember a review saying "just charge it while you're in the shower" - that guy must take 30-45+ minute showers! It means more cables around the bedside too. And if you wanna charge in another place you can't unless you bring the cable with you.
    2) Sleep Tracker - I was excited about this for some reason, but all it basically tells me is that I'm not getting enough sleep which I knew already! :) (we have two young kids). Seriously though, it's kinda annoying to have to wear it to bed. I also kept forgetting to "tell" it when I woke up!
    3) I think (but might be wrong) it was draining my already-old phone battery even faster. To be expected I guess, but another annoyance. Fair enough this could be addressed with a new phone.
    4) Never seemed to get notifications other than call / email / text. No Whatsapp or Facebook etc.
    5) Even after you read an email on your phone you need to clear notifications on the band. I know there's an app to clear it, but there shouldn't need to be!
    6) Really annoying feature is when you bring your phone in the car and car mode activates. Then when you get out of the car the phone stays in car mode as it still sees a Bluetooth device (i.e. the band!) connected and therefore it behaves differently. Switching BT off/on resolves, but another annoyance!
    7) Coincidentally Garmin finally released a Windows Phone app to connect with their devices. I thought band getting text notifications would be useful on the bike, but now in theory I should be able to get them on my unit.

Sorry this isn't meant to be a rant, just points to consider. Other than the above I did enjoy having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I was probably the one who said charge it while you're in the shower (or at least, I've definitely said that in the past here) and I still stand by it. For me that's about 20 minutes per day, between showering, brushing teeth and dressing that it's charging. It'll last the week in passive usage and the Band 2 has been no different for me in this regard. You don't need to have it charged fully to 100%, whenever I do this it only gets to about 80% or so maximum, but it'll still last with plenty to spare for the next 24 hours. If you're using the active (GPS tracking) functions, then you'll need to make sure you do a 100% charge before or afterwards (or both depending on how long the activity was).

MJohnston wrote: »
    I was probably the one who said charge it while you're in the shower (or at least, I've definitely said that in the past here) and I still stand by it. For me that's about 20 minutes per day, between showering, brushing teeth and dressing that it's charging. It'll last the week in passive usage and the Band 2 has been no different for me in this regard. You don't need to have it charged fully to 100%, whenever I do this it only gets to about 80% or so maximum, but it'll still last with plenty to spare for the next 24 hours. If you're using the active (GPS tracking) functions, then you'll need to make sure you do a 100% charge before or afterwards (or both depending on how long the activity was).
    The shower thing was in a review on WindowsCentral. Yeah that's a fair point about passive charging, but I guess it was just one thing on the overall list for me that convinced me otherwise. I may yet come back to a future version of it.

the MS Band Original (Small size though) is on clearance in PC World Limerick @ €70 - only 1 left in stock and none of the other sizes available either. It might be store specific but worth taking a look in other pc worlds - it's not showing on their online store.

I have an issue with my band 2. The screen won't switch off automatically. I've tried all the settings and a reset. It just stays on all the time.

The screen will go off if I press the main button. But a couple of minutes later the screen is back on.

Any idea what the problem might be?

I have an issue with my band 2. The screen won't switch off automatically. I've tried all the settings and a reset. It just stays on all the time.

The screen will go off if I press the main button. But a couple of minutes later the screen is back on.

Any idea what the problem might be?

I'll be buying a ms band 2 in the not too distant future. I currently have a lumia 1020, but if I decided to change to an iphone early next year, does the band 2 play nice with IOS or not?

ablelocks wrote: »
    I'll be buying a ms band 2 in the not too distant future. I currently have a lumia 1020, but if I decided to change to an iphone early next year, does the band 2 play nice with IOS or not?

Yep, works well with all three mobile OSes. Works best with Windows 10 because of Cortana, but everything else works great on other systems.

Band 2 now £149.99 on amazon and microsoft uk stores until end March i think. price on argos.ie is €225

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Big thanks! I got mine delivered just there. Playing with it now :)
    Careful, you'll go blind ...

The Band 2 didn't strike me at launch as that big an upgrade from the 1 when it was announced, but after having it for the last few months, it's so much a better product ... and if you can get it for this lower price (and still sell on your Band 1), then it's really worth it!

They've also kept adding minor, but nice, extras to the Band 2 since launch, updates which the v1 hasn't been getting (possibly even can't get in some cases).

So whats the story with power saving etc? What do I need the phone to do exactly? If I go for a run do I just wear the band? I know the band doesnt have GPS if you do this but it will gather all the other biometric data right?

It *will* have GPS without bringing your phone with you, it's one of the key features :)

When you're going for a run, swipe to the run tile, then swipe right to enable "Use GPS", then hit the 'Action Button' (it's the right, smaller of the two physical buttons on the Band) and the GPS will start trying to lock on, and buzz when it's ready. You can start running anyway and the GPS will begin tracking whenever it locks on, but I find that being in motion stops it from getting the initial lock, so you're better letting it lock on first. Also, I think it gets a better GPS signal outdoors, so try starting the lock on when you're already outside.

In the last update they also added a "GPS Power Saver" mode (you can find the option underneath the option to turn the GPS itself on in the Run/Bike/whatever tile), which does periodic GPS location tracking, rather than constant. If you're running more than 2 hours or so, you might need this, as I think that's about the limit of the battery life with GPS running constantly.

Other battery saving tips when running (or any active tracking like cycling, golfing) is to start the tracking, and then press the main button to turn the screen off (automatically it'll stay on constantly during an active tracking session).

As far as what you need a phone for - that's just for the initial setup, syncing data off of the Band, or any of the smart features (like notifications, emails, calendar etc.). For nearly all of the fitness stuff, it lives directly on the Band, although you will need to sync to phone to push the data to your Microsoft Health account and save it (beware: run out of battery on the Band and it'll lose all of the stored, unsynced tracking data. This was the case with V1 anyway, not sure if it's still true of the second one).

Once you've synced a few runs or other activities, goto https://dashboard.microsofthealth.com/#/ and login and you'll be able to see some really advanced statistics that don't show up on the Health phone apps.

is a screen protector needed for the band 2? I had intended getting the zagg one from Microsoft, but the reviews for it are terrible....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

is a screen protector needed for the band 2? I had intended getting the zagg one from Microsoft, but the reviews for it are terrible....

It's not needed but I have one from Zagg and I had no problems applying it to the band (took a while to get it done right) and so far it has not created any problems with input or readability.

It's not needed but I have one from Zagg and I had no problems applying it to the band (took a while to get it done right) and so far it has not created any problems with input or readability.

band 1 or 2 - i had the zagg for the 1 and had no problem applying it, but the reviews for the 2 really are putting me off. I've never had an issue with zagg products and have never seen such negative reviews for any of their protectors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

band 1 or 2 - i had the zagg for the 1 and had no problem applying it, but the reviews for the 2 really are putting me off. I've never had an issue with zagg products and have never seen such negative reviews for any of their protectors...

Band 2.

It was not easy to put it on, it takes a while due to the curve but if you follow the instructions that come with it you should not have a problem.

But that is the same with any screen protector, one needs to be careful and watch what one is doing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I must admit after two weeks of the Band 2 I am really liking it as a device. My only gripe is that I cant see WhatsApp messages. I pretty much use it exclusively. But apart from that its great. Being able to get the data from my runs is so good. I can now see the improvements!

My Whatsapp messages appear, but I think I had to mess around with the notifications on the phone. They appear in the notification tile on the Band.

As an aside, I recently had to send my Band back to Microsoft due to a steam/charging mishap. Have to say, it was a pretty good service. They gave me a UPS shipping label, I dropped it off at the shipping location, and it was back to me less than a week later.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Where's the best place to buy it at the moment?
    Amazon is £149 / €200.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Had to return mine after 3 months - strap split which is common apparently. No hard wearing juts used for notifications, steps, sleep etc
    Very disappointed as it's a good bit of kit (the tech)
    Might be a bad batch.

Advertisement